Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-30-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
My first day behind the scenes at the Two Oceans Aquarium

In case anyone is interested

I just finished my first behind the scenes shift at the Two Oceans, where I work as a volunteer. Up to now I've just done front of house stuff. I’ll probably get all jaded and bored with this stuff soon enough, but right now everything is new and interesting.

First thing in the morning – went to the office to sign in, and found a penguin standing there, eyeing every body up and down Very cute.

Cleaned the tank of a mantis shrimp (the creature of Oatmeal fame) which is apparently the most intelligent of the crustaceans. Had to work with long-stemmed implements, as putting my hand in the water would be a bit dangerous. To quote from that Oatmeal link, mantis shrimp can accelerate to the velocity of a bullet shot from a 22 calibre rifle, and strike with a force of 1500 Newtons. Ouch!

Here he is:

I also had to keep track of a single fish ( a spotted grunter) in a shoal of many, many others, to help a diver catch it so it could go into quarantine.

And for most of the time, I cut piles and piles of shrimp, squid, and redbait into tiny pieces. This platter was lunch for the giant spider crabs. The big lesson here was that squid eyes squirt fluid all over the place if you don’t watch it. Also, they have little tiny beaks like parrots, I’d never seen those before.

Just being in the aquarium is such a pleasure – for example, here’s a glimpse of the White Steenbras in the Kelp Tank:

Anyway, I had fun.

Masha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:28 AM   #2
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Very nice! Great pics. Sounds like fun

Delapool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion
Pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
So cool!
Alyxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com