Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

My first fish tank! Fish in cycling! Holy smokes!

Hi My name is Jessica! I just got my first aquarium You can find the beginning of my journey here Huge emergency! New Setup Overstocked and not Cycled The first post of the thread will give you exactly everything you need to know from the very beginning! Im developing this thread to ask my many questions and learn! This is quite the experience! I thank everyone who has helped me so far, you have saved my fishes life! Its very much appreciated! I just did my first water change, about 75%. My parameters are as follows:

ph 7.0
amm .25
trites 0
trates 0
temp 78

So, my ammonia levels arent quite where I'd like... I was at .50 when I did the water change and I thought by doing a 75% percent change would take it below .25. My first water change experience was super tough! I have learned through another thread how to do it much, much easier! I also have an active filter being delivered tomorrow! Yay!

My first question would be, since my ammonia level is .25 should I try to pull off another change tonight? Or should I wait till tomorrow?

Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

So how'd it go?

Old 02-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

H! Wellllllll the wc was tough but I made it! Didnt try to do another one last night because my kiddos were sick Just poured myself a cup of coffee getting ready to check my parameters
Old 02-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh yea! Guess what?!? My active filter arrives today!!! YAY!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you know what to do with it when it arrives
Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boadams87 View Post
Do you know what to do with it when it arrives
Heck no lol, thought there was a chance of there being instructions with it lol, I think you mentioned cutting it up? I bought the largest that they had available. Kinda worried that my tank might become overrun with snails :/ The website said if you dont want snails, dont order. I figured the pros out weigh the cons so I got it anyway.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsPistol
Heck no lol, thought there was a chance of there being instructions with it lol, I think you mentioned cutting it up? I bought the largest that they had available. Kinda worried that my tank might become overrun with snails :/ The website said if you dont want snails, dont order. I figured the pros out weigh the cons so I got it anyway.
Yea you can cut it up or put it in a bag and tie it to the front of the filter so the water runs over it as it goes into the tank, but I think cutting it will work better.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boadams87 View Post
Yea you can cut it up or put it in a bag and tie it to the front of the filter so the water runs over it as it goes into the tank, but I think cutting it will work better.
Than thatis what I will do! idk why I was thinking I should attatch it to a airator lol, probably cuz it has a little tube thingy sticking out of it, ha!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsPistol
Than thatis what I will do! idk why I was thinking I should attatch it to a airator lol, probably cuz it has a little tube thingy sticking out of it, ha!
You could hook an airtube to it but you want the bb to get in ur filter fast as possible. It may come with directions. How much was it?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

This mornings parameters:

Temp: 78
ph: 7.9ish
amm: .50
trite: 0
trate: 0

Pretty much the same as yesterday. Ph fluctuates... is that normal? Gearing up for my EASY water change, haha.

Tags
cycling, first fish, fish in cycling, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com