My fish bit me today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfsblood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Was changing the water on my cichlid tank and my jewel cichlid named speckles came up to check out what was going on. He was curious about my arm. He then proceeded to bite it. That little buggers got some teeth on him!

I have a 8 inch Tiger Oscar that will do the same thing occassionally. You know how territorial they can be . Tiger Oscars are very moody but I don't know about Jewel Cichlids.

He's more curious than anything. So far he has tested out everything to see if it was edible including thermometers and decorations.

Wolfsblood said:
He's more curious than anything. So far he has tested out everything to see if it was edible including thermometers and decorations.

Lol. Cichlids are funny fish

Yes they are very interesting indeed , if Oscar the Oscar gets mad at me He will go to the back corner of the tank and pout . I have to pat him on the head and give him a shrimp then he is ok. Spoiled rotten . Lol

I have a Betta that's never bitten me but he seems to recognize my hand and follows it around anytime I'm cleaning something in his tank, even to the point of calmly brushing up against me and allowing me to touch him. He's quite strange.

I had a tiger Oscar that used to try and take my fingers along with his food and currently have a red tail black shark who can't resist a nibble on my arm if I'm doing anything in the tank

My Texas cichlid does the same thing. She attacks my hand or arm if it's in the tank. If I'm messing with her plastic plants she really gets mad and puffs up and tries to bite me.

The worst fish I have ever been bitten by was a molly. Needless to say, I survived. But, an oscar bite sounds like it would hurt. :/

I had a mature red devil for about a year and i had to hand feed it otherwise he or she wouldnt eat. The last time i fed it, it lunged out of the water and bit my finger. I was mortified and i did sell the red devil soon after.

It had at least 50% of its body out of the water.

it must be something with jewels, i have a bunch of juveniles in my 55, and i need to use 1 hand to distract them while i do anything, or they swarm my hand/arm. and my paradise fish... well, i think he has a taste for human flesh.

My elephant nose likes to have a good nibble lol especially cleaning time!

Surprisingly my zebra danios bite me every time I put my hand/arm in the water. It's surprised me that even those little guys will give you a pretty good pinch. I'm sure a large cichlid would give a good bite!

I breed guppies. Its fun tto place your hand flat on the surface of the water and let 40 guppy fry nibble it :)

I breed guppies. Its fun tto place your hand flat on the surface of the water and let 40 guppy fry nibble it :)

My guppies do this every time my hand enters the tank. It feels so weird

No biting, but the other day as I was feeding, I had the lid open and all of the sudden I got soaked! Harlequin Rasboras and black skirt tetras can make quite a splash.

Tetra1990 said:
No biting, but the other day as I was feeding, I had the lid open and all of the sudden I got soaked! Harlequin Rasboras and black skirt tetras can make quite a splash.

Yea my African cichlids splash water everywhere when I feed them too. One time it splashed into the jar of food and ruined all of it.

I sometimes think mine are going to fly out of the tank when I feed them.

Ive been experimenting with my jewels and they are not scared of anything. I can put the vacuum or my hand in right by them and they just look at it. If I try to chase them away they just slowly swim backwards looking at it the whole time.

At a lake where my aunt lives, there is always swarms of fry. There is a big rock about 10-15 feet out from the shore, and the fry will go over there often because it's in the sun so there is algae and stuff for them to snack on. It's fun to go swim over to the rock with some goggles on, then go under the water and sit on the rock. All the fry will come over and nibble on you and see what you are doing. It's really fun, :lol:

Back
Top Bottom