Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My fish tank smells

Hi!
I have a 45 gal planted tank. It's stocked with guppies, tetras, mollies and bottom feeders and pleco. tank is clean and plants thriving. Nitrites 0, nitrates hardly on the mape. using a eheim filter.
walking by and odor coming from tank?
any suggetions to remove or whats causing odor?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish tank amor.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	304522  

Old 10-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceamo12 View Post
Hi!
I have a 45 gal planted tank. It's stocked with guppies, tetras, mollies and bottom feeders and pleco. tank is clean and plants thriving. Nitrites 0, nitrates hardly on the mape. using a eheim filter.
walking by and odor coming from tank?
any suggetions to remove or whats causing odor?
Hello bruce...

How often and how much water are you changing? Tank smells are typically dissolved fish and plant waste material. Work up to the point you remove and replace most of the tank water weekly to remove dissolved waste and you'll notice a big difference in how the tank smells. You can also use carbon in your filtration system. It will reduce tank odors. This type of filter material will only last a couple of weeks, then you'll need to replace it.

B

Old 10-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

you could get a small powerhead and aim it at the water surface making a small ripple that odor will go away almost instantly ,
this smell usually happens because of not enough circulation on the surface of the tank causing a cesspool type of smell
(Air/gas exchange) this is a big factor in both freshwater and saltwater and is often overlooked
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What does it smell like?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
you could get a small powerhead and aim it at the water surface making a small ripple that odor will go away almost instantly ,
this smell usually happens because of not enough circulation on the surface of the tank causing a cesspool type of smell
(Air/gas exchange) this is a big factor in both freshwater and saltwater and is often overlooked
thank you
I know all other parameters are good. anerobic conditions good. I filled tank up over the flow. now that makes sense, Ill lower water level so that more flow is active.
Thank you
Old 10-24-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another common source of bad smells is rotting food clinging underneath the trim of the aquarium
Old 10-25-2017, 01:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Another common source of bad smells is rotting food clinging underneath the trim of the aquarium
Ditto, an boy can it cause a stench!!!

Also the edges of the glass and the plastic that holds it and the cross braces often catch food particles.

The hinge can trap little food pellets and with a little splashing out of water changing water - stinkeroo!

I rinse my glass hinged lids in the shower vertically opened and shut positions so that I can get the most crud out very easily.

Dead fish behind the tank or in the filter???

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, fish tank, tank, smell, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com