Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
shellyx's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: scotland
Posts: 4,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkiggy View Post

Just afraid of 1. Infection 2. PAIN -- I'm getting a Hawaiian sea turtle
That will be cool, the pain is bearable and just keep it clean and you won't have problems
__________________

__________________
70 gallon elephant nose tank, Gonzo the elephant nose and friends!
30gallon borara merah and brigittae green, red longfin bristlenose, shrimp, ninja, taiwan,bamboo, and snails.
shellyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: U.S.
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkiggy View Post

Just afraid of 1. Infection 2. PAIN -- I'm getting a Hawaiian sea turtle
I personally am not into tattoos but many of my friends have them. The advice is: to avoid infection go to reputable tattoo artist and ask if the use disposable instruments or autoclave them. They should have reviews posted on internet (some registered with BBB), can check those out. If disposable needles are used be sure he/she gets yours out of a brand new package. For pain, this is easy, you can ask you doctor to give you script for tube of cream called EMLA. It is topical anesthetic you need to put it on the area 20 min before the tattoo and it'll be painless. Not sure if primary doc will be willing to do that depends on what kind of relationship you have with him/her, but dermatologist will do that for sure. I probably wouldn't tell them the Emla is for the tattoo, maybe say it's for hair removal or something.
__________________

__________________
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAL0044 View Post

I personally am not into tattoos but many of my friends have them. The advice is: to avoid infection go to reputable tattoo artist and ask if the use disposable instruments or autoclave them. They should have reviews posted on internet (some registered with BBB), can check those out. If disposable needles are used be sure he/she gets yours out of a brand new package. For pain, this is easy, you can ask you doctor to give you script for tube of cream called EMLA. It is topical anesthetic you need to put it on the area 20 min before the tattoo and it'll be painless. Not sure if primary doc will be willing to do that depends on what kind of relationship you have with him/her, but dermatologist will do that for sure. I probably wouldn't tell them the Emla is for the tattoo, maybe say it's for hair removal or something.
Needles are always disposable (in any shop worth their salt), but tubes and whatnot are autoclaved.
Generally, the artists will have a portfolio in the lobby of the shop, look for clean lines and solid shading/color.

If you don't know the artist before hand, I wouldn't go in expecting to get tattooed that day. You can generally book a consult (or jut walk in off the street), and find a good custom shop where they will actually draw something up for you, rather than picking flash off the wall. Reference photos for content and style are good to bring with you.

I've never heard of emla, but I wouldn't recommend it. A quick google search says it wears off in 30 - 45 minutes anyway (average tattoo can be closer to 2 hours give or take, depending on the complexity of the design), and I wouldn't want to stop to reapply. I don't know what's in it, but putting that on an open wound does not sound like good times to me.

The pain is not fun, but bearable. Depending on the area you're getting tattooed, some will hurt more than others. Arms, shoulders, anything meaty are easier. Ribs, fingers, feet, anything bony will hurt a lot more. I'm not sure a topical would have any affect on those areas either.

Keep it clean. Wash it off after you get home, and put ointment on it. I like aquaphor. Buy a good scent-free anti bacterial soap like dial.
Use thin layers of ointment for the first few days, until the top later of skin sheds off. Too much will blow out the color, but too dry will scab up and not heal well. You don't want the skin to get hard and shiny. You can even wrap your leg or whatever the first couple of nights in saran wrap so the ointment and ink don't ruin your sheets.

Last thing: don't be cheap. You get what you pay for, and you're going to have it forever. And don't forget to tip.
CrashCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: U.S.
Posts: 258
Emla is completely safe and comes in sterile tube. It is medication often used to numb sites if IV central lines (often in upper chest area) before they are accessed with large bore needles which go in almost an inch deep) it works very well, but can be expensive. Didn't realize tattoo sessions were that long! Wow! In that case ... a stiff drink? or two before going in?...
__________________
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAL0044 View Post
Emla is completely safe and comes in sterile tube. It is medication often used to numb sites if IV central lines (often in upper chest area) before they are accessed with large bore needles which go in almost an inch deep) it works very well, but can be expensive. Didn't realize tattoo sessions were that long! Wow! In that case ... a stiff drink? or two before going in?...
Even if it's safe, I would just think it would burn!
CrashCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
PockX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAL0044 View Post
Emla is completely safe and comes in sterile tube. It is medication often used to numb sites if IV central lines (often in upper chest area) before they are accessed with large bore needles which go in almost an inch deep) it works very well, but can be expensive. Didn't realize tattoo sessions were that long! Wow! In that case ... a stiff drink? or two before going in?...
You're not supposed to have any alcohol in your system for 48 hours because it thins the blood and you'll probably be bleeding while you're getting tattooed.
__________________
PockX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Alyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Slidell, La
Posts: 2,284
Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by PockX View Post

You're not supposed to have any alcohol in your system for 48 hours because it thins the blood and you'll probably be bleeding while you're getting tattooed.
Plus, any good tattoo artist/shop will refuse to tattoo you if they can tell you've been drinking. The pain isn't really all that bad. I have a tat on the back of my thigh that tickled way more than it hurt. Got one on the bottom of my toe that hurt a good bit more, but still nowhere near unbearable. It's gone now, though, seeing as it was on the bottom of my toe. It wore off pretty quick, but a friend did it for free because we knew that would end up happening.
__________________
Alyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
PockX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post

Plus, any good tattoo artist/shop will refuse to tattoo you if they can tell you've been drinking. The pain isn't really all that bad. I have a tat on the back of my thigh that tickled way more than it hurt. Got one on the bottom of my toe that hurt a good bit more, but still nowhere near unbearable. It's gone now, though, seeing as it was on the bottom of my toe. It wore off pretty quick, but a friend did it for free because we knew that would end up happening.
Yeah..I got one of my right shoulder blade. The more "boney" it is the more "pain". I have heard the rib cage is the worst..but everyone is different. My tattoo didn't hurt too much.
__________________
PockX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
scottayy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,499
The pain was barely noticeable on the shoulder and arm.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 185
Yeah, the one on my shoulder blade just felt like someone was drawing on me hard with a pen. I almost fell asleep in the middle of it.
The one on my shin... not so much.
Also depends on the artist and what kind of machines or needles they're using, and how they have it tuned.
__________________

CrashCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.