My lfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boadams87

Aquarium Advice Addict
Went to my lfs yesterday and it was new fish day so guess what I saw???? All the tanks had bags of fish in them, so I watched the girl take a bag, cut the top off pour the fish into a net and dump the fish in the tank!!! So I ask her why didn't she acclimate them, she said what's that!!!!!!!!

Not all fish require more acclimation than what you described - simply floating the bag in the tank so that the temperatures equalize.

I've heard some LFS immediately dump the fish in the tank, because acclimatizing them by pouring water into the tank actually stresses them out. Forgot the exact explanation, but it had to due with a rapid rise in PH and Ammonia Toxicity when the bag is opened.

My LFS does the open and dump thing too. I think the sooner they get them out of the bags the better. I've seen 20-30 goldfish in bags with about 2 gallons of water :/

I never acclimate I float bag for water temp to even out then I net them right to the tank in 20 years never lost a fish that way !! I time I tryed the drip acclimate and lost both fish the temp in the bucket was so cold after a hour !! And my corals I don't even float right in the tank

I just thought it was funny because she works in the fish department and didn't have a clue what it was!!!

No ones way is wrong in this hobby everyone does things different

Back
Top Bottom