Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by picture_117 View Post
Those are nice places! I'm not into SW as I believe franks tanks is, but I have visited them.

As far as bad LFS. One near had a mess everywhere, plants were way over priced. Also about every tank had a foot long pleco in it, they were for sale but they looked like they'd been there for some time. They also had no variety of fish. Was not the best place.
I use Keller Farms in Haltom City, off Denton Hwy for FW. That a quality shop with a large selection.

Keller Farms - Largest fish, supplies, aquariums select in Dallas / Ft. Worth

Old 10-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KcTx

I use Keller Farms in Haltom City, off Denton Hwy for FW. That a quality shop with a large selection.

Keller Farms - Largest fish, supplies, aquariums select in Dallas / Ft. Worth
Yes I go there sometimes, I like their DW and they have a really good choice of cichlids.

I mainly go to The Fish Place next to ridgemar.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.waffles1842
are you seriously making a thread about bad lfs?
Yes. I just had that mind-numbing experience and had to blow off some steam, and thought others might like too as well. No names.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58

I`m sorry about your experience. I dont want to get in a comparison of LFS but I do want to talk about your buy online statement. Even though yes you could probably get cheaper online you really cant see what you are getting. I`d rather pay a few bucks extra and see the fish that I`m going to buy. I want to see that it is eating and want to see that it`s healthy and does not have parasites. There is nothing wrong with buying online and many people do it but I just want to view what I`m going to get. Hopefully you can find an LFS you can trust.
The only other store is so bad you can't see the fish in the tanks, they are so dirty. The next closest store is 80 miles away. Too far to drive most of the time.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

good. just checking. i have had my own bad expiriences at pet stores before.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Personally I think I win; I have no LFS - our last one went broke about a year ago because their service was so poor, their prices were so high, and the place smelled like a outhouse when you walked in the door. Plus they almost never had anything you wanted on the shelf, but where always "happy to order it for you." Now we have to drive 2 hours to get to the next nearest not so local LFS.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

One of ours constantly over stocks there thanks. One time we went in and they had SEVERAL tanks with figure 8 puffers. Each tank (20 gal it think) had about 30+ spotted puffers in them. Very few of them had any fins left and almost every one of them was puffed up.

Next time I went in they had a fish, don't know what kind, that barely fit in the tank it was in. The fish looked like something you would catch deep sea fishing. It was large enough it literally couldn't turn around in the tank. It just sat there and hovered in place cause it had no other option.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Man, that is just really sad.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:15 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I must have been really out of it when I typed that last post, cause I started out saying figure 8 puffers, then said spotted puffers. They were figure 8 puffers. I had just read a thread about spotted puffers right before I found this thread and that reminded me of the figure 8 puffers.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:54 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
I must have been really out of it when I typed that last post, cause I started out saying figure 8 puffers, then said spotted puffers. They were figure 8 puffers. I had just read a thread about spotted puffers right before I found this thread and that reminded me of the figure 8 puffers.
i dont think you mentioned puffers enough... my lfs that i had a VERY strong bond with just took a VERY big hit to its reputation in my eyes... my 125 has a decent case of ich, after discussing and researching all other options, i decided to go the copper route (only because my tanks fowlr and always will be)... only to find out that copper also kills your beneficial bacteria....

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lfs, poor customer service, the worst

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com