My LFS is Worse Than Yours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ouch Huma-Huma.... That is not good. Sorry to hear that. Have you lost any fish as a result?

And yeah I did mention them a bit...Puffers that is.

I think everyone has a nightmare story! A place i visited last week was AWFUL!!! Dead fish on the floor, filthy tanks, dead fish in the tanks, and half the tanks had handwritten signs in red with the words 'SICK' on them.....

Well, here is one of my stories.

I go into a new fish store. After asking the employee some questions (which he answered poorly) he said, "I don't know, you probably know these better than I do." I then was sold a Clown that introduced icy into my tank. QT from now on, lesson learned.

I love the fish place in fort worth:)
There is a place that has already been named in this thread that I had a VERY bad experience at. And I have advised everyone I know to not go there!!

I think everyone has a nightmare story! A place i visited last week was AWFUL!!! Dead fish on the floor, filthy tanks, dead fish in the tanks, and half the tanks had handwritten signs in red with the words 'SICK' on them.....

I have to say that the fact that they put signs on the tanks means that they were not going to try to sell you sick fish. Unlike SOME lfs... :nono:

Ahhh but theres a catch! This was a wholesale place that SELLS all their fish to the local lfs's!!! They just happen to also sell to the public. Ill pass!!!!

Jlk-- that's really bad. Dead fish on the floor?? You may have won this one lol. You certainly beat me.
:)

melosu58 said:
I`m sorry about your experience. I dont want to get in a comparison of LFS but I do want to talk about your buy online statement. Even though yes you could probably get cheaper online you really cant see what you are getting. I`d rather pay a few bucks extra and see the fish that I`m going to buy. I want to see that it is eating and want to see that it`s healthy and does not have parasites. There is nothing wrong with buying online and many people do it but I just want to view what I`m going to get. Hopefully you can find an LFS you can trust.

I also believe in help keeping my locals employed, but to each their own. 

I believe in buying local ad much as possible. But when buying local means buying from unethical, unhelpful, predatory merchants, then the open marketplace must prevail and the better competitor will get my business. Sadly for me and many people, it is not feasible to spend $50-$80 to travel 150 miles in order to "buy locally. "

hah one of my lfs is pretty bad. They always have dead fish in the tanks and they scoop them out and leave them in the sink which is in the middle of the store you walk in and there are 10+ dead fish in a sink(im sure you can imagine the smell). The worst part is the employees clearly can not distinguish a salt from freshwater fish because they frequently have dead tangs and clowns in freshwater tanks with goldfish *facepalm*
i think i win. Luckily i have a great family owned lfs near me as well.

Thats pretty bad!!!! But atleast they put the dead ones in the sink vs leaving them lying on the floor! LOL

Spartachris said:
I believe in buying local ad much as possible. But when buying local means buying from unethical, unhelpful, predatory merchants, then the open marketplace must prevail and the better competitor will get my business. Sadly for me and many people, it is not feasible to spend $50-$80 to travel 150 miles in order to "buy locally. "

That is way too far to drive! ;-)

did they seriously leave dead fish ON THE FLOOR? or was it a few that could have jumped? either way some of these places are disgusting.....
another lfs (that is not competing for the worst at all) i go to is alright, but i go there twice a week minimum and i do the darned dead fish and baby check. i help them find the dead ones they cant be bothered to remove and i arrange some empty tanks for breeding pairs to raise fry. this was the shop that gave me the free fish. if i owned the shop there wouldnt be a problem.... but there ya go ;)

Yes! On the floor. I dont think they jumped because most of the fish were too sick to even swim. It was really quite horrifying to think that this place is the source of fish for the tri-state area I live in.... im really starting to second-guess where I purchase new fish.

yeah i went to a new lfs today. top this for wierd: they couldnt get out (or be bothered to get out) a large convict from a freshwater sump. with all the filter media swirling around with it! u could hardly see the fish but the fact that it was stuck in there.... poor thing.

I'm not sure if this counts, but my LPS is pretty bad (They do have a HUGE fish section though).

One thing that some of the employees do is grab water out of another tank (To fill up the bag) and grab fish out of a different tank (Each tank is their own system - As in each of the tanks have their own HOB filter).

Another thing they do is (Witnessed) - Instead of doing water changes, the put a siphon at the end of a canister filter and gravel vaac each tank (So basically it's not even a water change whatsoever - their just cleaning the gravel with a canister filter and putting back the old water in).

The SW section, if I must say is impressive though... (Owners are originally SW keepers).

My LFS on the other hand is great, not many flaws.

I've been very lucky with my lfs. After seeing some local petcos and hearing horror stories here, I feel blessed lol. A little more expensive than online but as stated earlier you can see exactly what you're getting. Krystal Clear Aquatics in Auburn MA.

I recently went to my lfs (independent not a chain store) and bought 3 angelfish and a bn. Took them home and my daughter saw tiny white spots on one of the angelfish. The next day I saw it and realized my new angelfish had ick. Moved the bn to another tank because I read that bn couldn't tolerate the ick meds. I move the angelfish to my hospital tank and treated it and the original tank. The angelfish died and the tank I moved the bn to ended with ick and I treated it. Three bleeding heats in that tank were moved to the hospital tank and they died. Needless to say I may not have done it all right, but will never buy another fish from that store. Lesson learned at the expense of my fish. Oh and the bn is fine as are the two remaining angelfish.

Well well....

how about when I got my first Oscar, I was told that it would work in my 20g tank. That's from Petco..

I buy most of my decor plants from Petsmart. Haven't really got any fish from them.

I only have one LOCAL store by me, a few others are about an hour away. They are pretty good about most things. But only keep common fish such as the "assorted african" tanks, oscars, tetras (all the common community fish), etc. Nothing really rare.

There's only one really great shop near my area which is Aquarium Solutions in Spokane, WA (If anyone lives near, check it out)

Back
Top Bottom