Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

hah one of my lfs is pretty bad. They always have dead fish in the tanks and they scoop them out and leave them in the sink which is in the middle of the store you walk in and there are 10+ dead fish in a sink(im sure you can imagine the smell). The worst part is the employees clearly can not distinguish a salt from freshwater fish because they frequently have dead tangs and clowns in freshwater tanks with goldfish *facepalm*
i think i win. Luckily i have a great family owned lfs near me as well.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #32
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats pretty bad!!!! But atleast they put the dead ones in the sink vs leaving them lying on the floor! LOL

Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartachris
I believe in buying local ad much as possible. But when buying local means buying from unethical, unhelpful, predatory merchants, then the open marketplace must prevail and the better competitor will get my business. Sadly for me and many people, it is not feasible to spend $50-$80 to travel 150 miles in order to "buy locally. "
That is way too far to drive!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

did they seriously leave dead fish ON THE FLOOR? or was it a few that could have jumped? either way some of these places are disgusting.....
another lfs (that is not competing for the worst at all) i go to is alright, but i go there twice a week minimum and i do the darned dead fish and baby check. i help them find the dead ones they cant be bothered to remove and i arrange some empty tanks for breeding pairs to raise fry. this was the shop that gave me the free fish. if i owned the shop there wouldnt be a problem.... but there ya go
Old 10-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #35
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes! On the floor. I dont think they jumped because most of the fish were too sick to even swim. It was really quite horrifying to think that this place is the source of fish for the tri-state area I live in.... im really starting to second-guess where I purchase new fish.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah i went to a new lfs today. top this for wierd: they couldnt get out (or be bothered to get out) a large convict from a freshwater sump. with all the filter media swirling around with it! u could hardly see the fish but the fact that it was stuck in there.... poor thing.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #37
PHP

I'm not sure if this counts, but my LPS is pretty bad (They do have a HUGE fish section though).

One thing that some of the employees do is grab water out of another tank (To fill up the bag) and grab fish out of a different tank (Each tank is their own system - As in each of the tanks have their own HOB filter).

Another thing they do is (Witnessed) - Instead of doing water changes, the put a siphon at the end of a canister filter and gravel vaac each tank (So basically it's not even a water change whatsoever - their just cleaning the gravel with a canister filter and putting back the old water in).

The SW section, if I must say is impressive though... (Owners are originally SW keepers).

My LFS on the other hand is great, not many flaws.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:11 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've been very lucky with my lfs. After seeing some local petcos and hearing horror stories here, I feel blessed lol. A little more expensive than online but as stated earlier you can see exactly what you're getting. Krystal Clear Aquatics in Auburn MA.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

I recently went to my lfs (independent not a chain store) and bought 3 angelfish and a bn. Took them home and my daughter saw tiny white spots on one of the angelfish. The next day I saw it and realized my new angelfish had ick. Moved the bn to another tank because I read that bn couldn't tolerate the ick meds. I move the angelfish to my hospital tank and treated it and the original tank. The angelfish died and the tank I moved the bn to ended with ick and I treated it. Three bleeding heats in that tank were moved to the hospital tank and they died. Needless to say I may not have done it all right, but will never buy another fish from that store. Lesson learned at the expense of my fish. Oh and the bn is fine as are the two remaining angelfish.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well well....

how about when I got my first Oscar, I was told that it would work in my 20g tank. That's from Petco..

I buy most of my decor plants from Petsmart. Haven't really got any fish from them.

I only have one LOCAL store by me, a few others are about an hour away. They are pretty good about most things. But only keep common fish such as the "assorted african" tanks, oscars, tetras (all the common community fish), etc. Nothing really rare.

There's only one really great shop near my area which is Aquarium Solutions in Spokane, WA (If anyone lives near, check it out)

Tags
lfs, poor customer service, the worst

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com