My Oscars were hungry today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oscarbreeder

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I came home from work today I found my 4 Oscars having dinner.
It was a large crayfish that has been thir tank mate since I got them.

It kind of makes me mad cause he was so cool.
He has always lived under a piece of driftwood and only came out to eat.
This time I guess he came out to get eaten.

It is sad because it was my wife and kids favorite.
So I guess we will have to get another one.
HMMM..Could this be a good excuse to get another tank..LOL

HMMM..Could this be a good excuse to get another tank..LOL

Well..Why not?! :lol:

"Darn honey...the crayfish seems to have died. I know it was your favorite....I know, I will buy you some more"

I can see you coming home with a nice 55 gal setup, getting some more fishies, and lots of crayfish!

Heres wishing you well, LOL.

any excuse is a good excuse to get a new tank =oP

"Well look at that, its Monday... we should get a new tank!"

That is an interesting story to me, because I used to keep a crayfish with a half-grown oscar and that little blue fella had the oscar pinned to the other side of the tank 24/7, and I had to return the invert to restore peace in the tank. That was one spunky crayfish - so maybe if I had more oscars it would have been more of an even playing field.

I still want to set up a blue crayfish tank, just because I think they are cool. Sorry you had to witness the carnage.... that's never fun.

Awww...sorry about your crayfish, Oscarbreeder :cry: I hope you have better luck with your next one.

P.S. I just saw some really cool-looking oscars at the hatchery on Saturday! They were small -- probably juvies.

lyquidphyre said:
"Well look at that, its Monday... we should get a new tank!"
OH!, I see we've met!

Sorry to hear about the crayfish. It must be time for a crayfish only tank :D

I'd have to agree with Tankgirl. 1 v 1 the crayfish would whup up on an oscar ;P Those guys are just big whiny wimps, like little puppy dog fish. But four of them? Might have been more than he could handle.

Of course, its always possible he died and they went at him afterwards when they noticed.

what do you feed the crayfish? mine only eat worms and i dont see them eating any of the brine shrimp/blood worms i put in there

YOU have a crayfish?! In what tank? They're huge waste producers and need about 20 gallons each.

oh... i have 2 in a 15 gallon err icebox. im planning on putting them in one of the 50 gallon ice boxes i have lying around but i havent gotten 2 it.

i dont know if their the really big crayfish. their used as the feeder crayfish that are 75 cents.

on lives in this crack in the driftwood and the other one lives in the filter

but i still needa figure out if my mom'll let me use the icebox. if she doesnt i can buy a 50 gallon tub (hopefully) *crosses fingers*

Just a guess, but I'd bet the crayfish was going through a molt, and the oscars took advantage of his vulnerability. Can't fight back when shedding an old shell, or during the hardening off period for the new shell.

Sorry 'bout your crawdad. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom