Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I broke my arm as a toddler. I was playing on my trike and fell off. I don't even remember it and would have never known if I didn't find a picture of myself with a cast.

~Mike Shaw
Shawmutt.com. Blogs and Pictures of the Massively Multiplayer Offline game, Real Life.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:33 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
as others have said, childrens bones heal very quickly and you didn't anything wrong.

Just be sure to give him a big ol' ice-cream bar and he'll forgive you

Acronyms and Abbreviations
Old 07-08-2005, 08:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanks everyone for the replies. It helps a lot! I will definately keep the ice cream in mind as it is one of his favorites! Maybe after the ortho dr later today.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:49 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I know what you mean about hatting to see your child cry or should I say scream bloody murder when having to have the IV put in. Back in Jan when our daughter was not even 9 month old she had to be hospitalized over night with IV fluids because she had gotten some kind of stomach bug that got her on the wrong side of dehydration. It was aful having to be there holding her down while the nurse whom couldnt find a vein if it was throbbing tried to put the IV in. The darn needle was so small that the slightest bend would crimp it so the fluids could not go thru.

Things like this happen. At this age its much worse for the parent than the child I can tell you that.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:52 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
When my son was 3 years old, he was playing chase with my wife and grandmother inside the house. When all of a sudden the dining room table decided to play too. And the table won. A few hours later, my son had 6 stitches in his forehead. My Gran was horrified thinking that she had done this. But it happens and my son doesn't remember it anymore.

On another note, my son gets his cast removed from his arm today.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:29 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is our update,,,

I have never been as grateful for cosleeping as I was last night. My son is an acrobatic sleeper, moving all over the place during the night, going from tummy to back, etc. Last night I bundled pillows up on one side of him and me on the other (with daughter nestled on the other side of me). I was able to keep him fairly still throughout the night w/o disturbing his sleep and very little disturbance to mine.

I spent from about 8am to 10:30am on the phone this am trying to find an ortho who was on our insurance (not a big problem, we are in a big network) and had an appt today. The latter part was a HUGE problem. One place had an appt for THURSDAY of next week and another for WEDNESDAY! I thought that was beyond ridiculous! I was able to get one appt for Monday which was at least better, although the weekend would have been tough. Finally at 10:30 one of the offices called me back and says that a dr will see us immediately.

From what the dr said, he has one child who needed a cast fairly young as well, so I think he really understood the NEED to get this taken care of today. We were a fit in appt (but that is typical at ortho) so we were there for a long time. They replaced the splint with a cast. We have a cast that is waterproof!!!! Not only *can* it get wet, it *needs* to get wet! We can go swimming, take baths, etc. He will have his cast for a month. The appt was hard today, but no where near as hard as last night and now it is done and we can get on with healing. Plus my son had his first ever lollipop, he was thrilled and kind enough to share with his sister!

Poor little guy. All of the stories and other replies have helped me to feel better. But what will make me feel the most better is when he is back to himself.

Old 07-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Xrays are the worst. I was babysitting my nephew one night and I was alone. He stopped breathing for no reason. I was rocking him to sleep and I looked down and he was out cold. I thought he was just sleeping, but he had actualyl stopped breathing. So I rushed him to the ER (the nearest one with a child ward is an hour away). He started breathing after a few minutes of being out, but I was still so scared. So we get there and they had to do x-rays. He was bout 7 months old at the time. If you haven't ever had to put a child in one of those x-ray holders that holds them down, I don't wish it on anyone. Hunter screamed out bloody murder the entire time. I was balling like a baby. with him. It was the worst night of my entire life. He didn't break anything, but the fear is the same.
Vote for Aquarium Advice

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Old 07-08-2005, 04:12 PM   #18
God of primitive fishes
Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Best wishes to the wee tyke on his recovery.

Honestly, I have no idea how mine has made it to 7 with actually breaking anything....although she did have to endure 3 sutures to her face a few months ago. Kids are almost indestructible, but if they don't break something by the time they are 10, they are pretty darned unusual.
G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Founder/Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta
Past-President, Calgary Aquarium Society
Old 07-08-2005, 06:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
It happens! My husband was playing with our oldest daughter , who was 5 at the time, and she rolled off of his back- landed oddly, and dislocated her elbow. Needless to say - he felt like the world's worst daddy.

The ER doc said they see dislocations all the time - called 'nursemaids' elbow. Most often in children under age 5 who are being swung around in circles.
You know you are a true fish-o-holic if you can field strip any powerhead on the market.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:50 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
My daughter fell down our stairs when she was about a year, year and a half old. It was only three steps, but she sprained her knee. My husband and I were so scared. We didn't know if it was broken or not so we took her to the ER. She did have xrays, and nothing was broken, thank goodness, but it was still quite an experience.
I am glad you are through the hardest part. That cast will be off before you know it.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com