Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-07-2005, 11:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
My son broke his arm tonight

My almost 3 y/o son broke his arm tonight. We were playing horsie ride on my back, I was on bent knees and elbows so he didn't even fall far, just fell very badly. As soon as I saw him I knew it was broken, it was bent where it shouldn't be bent. I called my husband who had gone into work after I got home from jury duty (what a day!!!!) and he came immediately home, thankfully his work is close. We drove to the hospital. We were there for about 3.5 hours. Son has a temporary splint and we have to make an appt with an ortho dr. tomorrow.

It has been a very tough day for all of us. I feel so bad b/c he was playing with me. And it broke my heart to hear him screaming through the x-rays, the iv being put in, the blood pressure cuff on his leg and I won't mention the resetting of the bone. Thankfully for the last one I was out of the room with our daughter.

Please, please, please, tell me that this is something that happens to a lot of toddlers and that I am not a bad mommy. I feel so bad right now b/c I feel like it was my fault.

PS, I wasn't selected for jury duty, thankfully.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Wow, poor kid.
I don't know if it happens to alot of toddlers but the fact that you were playing with him makes you a good mommy. Accidents happen. It sucks but don't beat yourself up over it. I hope he heals quickly and you all can put it behind you.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Don't feel bad, it was just an accident. I've broken 5 bones already and I'm only 14.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via Yahoo to Tiger_Oscar
It happens and usually has nothing to do with bad parenting. I'm 34 now but I fell down stairs and broke my noise when I was about 3. You were playing so it wasn't intentional. Remember those relative that threw the kids in the air and caught them. Or was my family just crazy...lol
230 gal. aquarium Jack dempsey, 2 oscars, Pacu (needs a new home).

55 gal tank 2 pirahna's

------> CLICK HERE TO VOTE FOR A.A <------
Old 07-08-2005, 12:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Oh I'm so sorry Kimberly! That must have been awful!

You are not alone broken bones do happen to toddlers. My sister runs a daycare and two years ago she had a toddler break his arm. He just fell off the couch and his arm was broken. My sister was mortified and upset because she has run a daycare for years and years and kids fall all the time but they never break bones. She was really scared the parents and hospital were going to think it was her fault cause how stupid does "he fell off the couch" sound for a broken arm. But the E.R. doctor said that sometimes when they fall they just land in that certain odd way....I hope you and your son feel better. Kids are so resilient.....you'll probably remember this long after your son has recovered and forgotten.

On a lighter side, at least you have taught your child just how dangerous horse riding can be.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
When my sister was 2 or 3 she climed on top of her car (you know the yellow and red, fisherprice Flinstones lookin car) and she fell off and broke/fractured her collar bone

Poor kid! Accidents happen and he will be running around driving you crazy in no time =oP

Old 07-08-2005, 07:04 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Just think of all the falls we had as kids. Lots of'm. I'm convinced that a number of mine would have been worse if only my body had been in another position.

Falls are freaky, It's as simple as that. Regardless of whether playing alone, with friends, or you for that matter.

Like Fluff said, you were playing with him. That's a very good thing. The fact that you're feeling badly says to me that you're a good and caring parent.

That's why they call them "accidents".

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 07-08-2005, 07:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Great comments! I have two daughters: a 5.5 year old and a 4 year old. We definitely play rough at times, and I think the only reason they have not been hurt more is because of the grace of God. My wife says they're growing up to be tomboys. Funny thing, though, the best memories of my childhood are when I played with my parents. Not so much the trips or the toys, but those times when we just wrestled, played horsey, etc... And besides, nothing compares to the joy of listening to your children laugh themselves out of breath.

At least you play with your children. You're doing a great job.
Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. -Pericles

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
Old 07-08-2005, 07:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to GIMojo
kids have stem cells. lol theyre like magical little healing things
= 70 Gallon
= 14 Cichlids
= A Bunch of fake plants

Old 07-08-2005, 08:15 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus
My friend's 2-year-old broke his arm about a month ago at my sister's house, when he fell from the ladder of the swingset slide. This is your typical tubular metal swingset so the slide is not terribly high, but he fell in such a way that he had a break. They put him in a cast for three weeks and that was that.

Children are MAGIC! They heal very quickly and Kimberly I assure you that your little fellow will likely not even remember this, if only vaguely. Do not feel badly - I'd much rather hear that parents are playing with their kids than not, quite honestly.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com