My son broke his arm tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My almost 3 y/o son broke his arm tonight. We were playing horsie ride on my back, I was on bent knees and elbows so he didn't even fall far, just fell very badly. :( As soon as I saw him I knew it was broken, it was bent where it shouldn't be bent. I called my husband who had gone into work after I got home from jury duty (what a day!!!!) and he came immediately home, thankfully his work is close. We drove to the hospital. We were there for about 3.5 hours. Son has a temporary splint and we have to make an appt with an ortho dr. tomorrow.

It has been a very tough day for all of us. I feel so bad b/c he was playing with me. :( And it broke my heart to hear him screaming through the x-rays, the iv being put in, the blood pressure cuff on his leg and I won't mention the resetting of the bone. Thankfully for the last one I was out of the room with our daughter.

Please, please, please, tell me that this is something that happens to a lot of toddlers and that I am not a bad mommy. I feel so bad right now b/c I feel like it was my fault.

:(
Kimberly

PS, I wasn't selected for jury duty, thankfully.

Wow, poor kid.
I don't know if it happens to alot of toddlers but the fact that you were playing with him makes you a good mommy. Accidents happen. It sucks but don't beat yourself up over it. I hope he heals quickly and you all can put it behind you.

Don't feel bad, it was just an accident. I've broken 5 bones already and I'm only 14.

It happens and usually has nothing to do with bad parenting. I'm 34 now but I fell down stairs and broke my noise when I was about 3. You were playing so it wasn't intentional. Remember those relative that threw the kids in the air and caught them. Or was my family just crazy...lol

Oh I'm so sorry Kimberly! That must have been awful!

You are not alone broken bones do happen to toddlers. My sister runs a daycare and two years ago she had a toddler break his arm. He just fell off the couch and his arm was broken. My sister was mortified and upset because she has run a daycare for years and years and kids fall all the time but they never break bones. She was really scared the parents and hospital were going to think it was her fault cause how stupid does "he fell off the couch" sound for a broken arm. But the E.R. doctor said that sometimes when they fall they just land in that certain odd way....I hope you and your son feel better. Kids are so resilient.....you'll probably remember this long after your son has recovered and forgotten.

On a lighter side, at least you have taught your child just how dangerous horse riding can be.

When my sister was 2 or 3 she climed on top of her car (you know the yellow and red, fisherprice Flinstones lookin car) and she fell off and broke/fractured her collar bone

Poor kid! Accidents happen and he will be running around driving you crazy in no time =oP

Just think of all the falls we had as kids. Lots of'm. I'm convinced that a number of mine would have been worse if only my body had been in another position.

Falls are freaky, It's as simple as that. Regardless of whether playing alone, with friends, or you for that matter.

Like Fluff said, you were playing with him. That's a very good thing. The fact that you're feeling badly says to me that you're a good and caring parent.

That's why they call them "accidents".

Great comments! I have two daughters: a 5.5 year old and a 4 year old. We definitely play rough at times, and I think the only reason they have not been hurt more is because of the grace of God. My wife says they're growing up to be tomboys. Funny thing, though, the best memories of my childhood are when I played with my parents. Not so much the trips or the toys, but those times when we just wrestled, played horsey, etc... And besides, nothing compares to the joy of listening to your children laugh themselves out of breath.

At least you play with your children. :) You're doing a great job.

My friend's 2-year-old broke his arm about a month ago at my sister's house, when he fell from the ladder of the swingset slide. This is your typical tubular metal swingset so the slide is not terribly high, but he fell in such a way that he had a break. They put him in a cast for three weeks and that was that.

Children are MAGIC! They heal very quickly and Kimberly I assure you that your little fellow will likely not even remember this, if only vaguely. Do not feel badly - I'd much rather hear that parents are playing with their kids than not, quite honestly.

I broke my arm as a toddler. I was playing on my trike and fell off. I don't even remember it and would have never known if I didn't find a picture of myself with a cast.

as others have said, childrens bones heal very quickly and you didn't anything wrong.

Just be sure to give him a big ol' ice-cream bar and he'll forgive you ;)

Thanks everyone for the replies. It helps a lot! I will definately keep the ice cream in mind as it is one of his favorites! Maybe after the ortho dr later today.

I know what you mean about hatting to see your child cry or should I say scream bloody murder when having to have the IV put in. Back in Jan when our daughter was not even 9 month old she had to be hospitalized over night with IV fluids because she had gotten some kind of stomach bug that got her on the wrong side of dehydration. It was aful having to be there holding her down while the nurse whom couldnt find a vein if it was throbbing tried to put the IV in. The darn needle was so small that the slightest bend would crimp it so the fluids could not go thru.

Things like this happen. At this age its much worse for the parent than the child I can tell you that.

When my son was 3 years old, he was playing chase with my wife and grandmother inside the house. When all of a sudden the dining room table decided to play too. And the table won. A few hours later, my son had 6 stitches in his forehead. My Gran was horrified thinking that she had done this. But it happens and my son doesn't remember it anymore.

On another note, my son gets his cast removed from his arm today.

Here is our update,,,

I have never been as grateful for cosleeping as I was last night. My son is an acrobatic sleeper, moving all over the place during the night, going from tummy to back, etc. Last night I bundled pillows up on one side of him and me on the other (with daughter nestled on the other side of me). I was able to keep him fairly still throughout the night w/o disturbing his sleep and very little disturbance to mine.

I spent from about 8am to 10:30am on the phone this am trying to find an ortho who was on our insurance (not a big problem, we are in a big network) and had an appt today. The latter part was a HUGE problem. One place had an appt for THURSDAY of next week and another for WEDNESDAY! I thought that was beyond ridiculous! I was able to get one appt for Monday which was at least better, although the weekend would have been tough. Finally at 10:30 one of the offices called me back and says that a dr will see us immediately.

From what the dr said, he has one child who needed a cast fairly young as well, so I think he really understood the NEED to get this taken care of today. We were a fit in appt (but that is typical at ortho) so we were there for a long time. They replaced the splint with a cast. We have a cast that is waterproof!!!! Not only *can* it get wet, it *needs* to get wet! We can go swimming, take baths, etc. He will have his cast for a month. The appt was hard today, but no where near as hard as last night and now it is done and we can get on with healing. Plus my son had his first ever lollipop, he was thrilled and kind enough to share with his sister!

Poor little guy. :( All of the stories and other replies have helped me to feel better. But what will make me feel the most better is when he is back to himself.

Thanks,
Kimberly

Xrays are the worst. I was babysitting my nephew one night and I was alone. He stopped breathing for no reason. I was rocking him to sleep and I looked down and he was out cold. I thought he was just sleeping, but he had actualyl stopped breathing. So I rushed him to the ER (the nearest one with a child ward is an hour away). He started breathing after a few minutes of being out, but I was still so scared. So we get there and they had to do x-rays. He was bout 7 months old at the time. If you haven't ever had to put a child in one of those x-ray holders that holds them down, I don't wish it on anyone. Hunter screamed out bloody murder the entire time. I was balling like a baby. with him. It was the worst night of my entire life. He didn't break anything, but the fear is the same.

Best wishes to the wee tyke on his recovery.

Honestly, I have no idea how mine has made it to 7 with actually breaking anything....although she did have to endure 3 sutures to her face a few months ago. Kids are almost indestructible, but if they don't break something by the time they are 10, they are pretty darned unusual.

It happens! My husband was playing with our oldest daughter , who was 5 at the time, and she rolled off of his back- landed oddly, and dislocated her elbow. Needless to say - he felt like the world's worst daddy.

The ER doc said they see dislocations all the time - called 'nursemaids' elbow. Most often in children under age 5 who are being swung around in circles.

My daughter fell down our stairs when she was about a year, year and a half old. It was only three steps, but she sprained her knee. My husband and I were so scared. We didn't know if it was broken or not so we took her to the ER. She did have xrays, and nothing was broken, thank goodness, but it was still quite an experience.
I am glad you are through the hardest part. That cast will be off before you know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom