My Sunday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, well, I don't care much for my brother's fiancee :roll: , but they were moving right by daniel and I yesterday, so we offered to help them once they got to PA (moving from NJ). Well, we get a phone call at 10:30 that one of his friends who was supposed to help them couldn't cause his grandmother had passed away - understandable. The other friend (his best friend AND best man) was MIA (and was till 7:30 pm). So, the only people who were there to help were my parents (mind you, when daniel and I moved, his fiancee, him, nor my parents even offered to help us), so would we be able to go over and help? So, Daniel and I get our behinds out of bed and drive to Jersey to help them.

What we find when we get there is proposterous! They are only half packed! My parents had to go out and get more boxes so we could stuff things in them. Half the stuff they had packed were in boxes, the other half....in those new Glad Felixibags! What a disaster! Then, Laura (the fiancee) decides to play damsel in destress and say that she didn't have muscles, so she couldn't really lift anything, and oh, she didn't feel well....my brother is a weakling, so the heavy heavy stuff was done by my father and Daniel as well as the packing of the U-Haul. I carried so much stuff down those 14 steps! Stuff I can't believe I lifted!

When we get to their apartment in PA, a couple of Laura's co-workers who live there came to help and all of a sudden she was like, look at me, I can carry things! And look at me, I feel sooo much better! Well, we all unloaded the truck - and needless to say at 8:00 pm I was happy to leave and NOT happy with my brother or Laura.

Today, it hurts to walk I am so sore!

Whew! Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better! :)

That's so wrong. Sorry Lori, I know what that's like. I have a sister just like that. Try to rest today.

I hate moving! It is a lot to ask of someone to help, let's face it, and it is a shame that Laura would not make an effort for her own belongings. You and Daniel deserve an award for that! Next time, tell them you can recommend a good moving company. We hired one for our last two moves and it is worth every penny.

You truly did go above and beyond. Everyone whom didnt help you should feel ashamed at this point. Next time though I think you will be busy with something that you just cant get out of. U know like your brothers best friend, best man.

Arg... I can't stand it when people ask you to help them move and they aren't even packed when you get there. "I'm sorry, I wasn't expecting to move today." :evil:

I have 4 siblings, a couple that have moved numerous times so I know your pain well Lori. Just remember that they owe you the next time you have need of some hard labor!

Yikes, go soak in a hot bath! :| Sounds like you deserve it.
I hope they at least take you and Daniel out to dinner.

BillyZ said:
Just remember that they owe you the next time you have need of some hard labor!

First warm day of Spring, invite them over, hand them each a shovel, and tell them where you'd like your 500 gal koi pond. :twisted:

Kudos to you and DAniel for helping - I hope your brother and his wife do something to show their appreciation for your help.

they ordered in pizza and thanked us - that was their dinner to us, lol (and everyone else that helped them). Furthermore - their wedding is in July - and it's not close - it's in Florida! So that's plane tickets and travel expenses we have to shell out for their wedding that they just had to have in Florida.

I am limping around work today, lol. My calves hurt the most. And, I forgot my purse at home! I am such a mess! :oops:

Oh my goodness - I am sure they figure it is a nice way for everyone to have a little mini-vacation for their wedding, but that's a long way to go.

When Rick and I got married we lived in S. Florida and had the wedding in VA since most of the family lives up here - I guess we shoulda drug the family down there to us, huh? :wink:

You're nicer then I am.

I sure as heck wouldn't have helped. Do on to others, as they say...No one could be bothered to help you, I would have returned the favor. :fadein:

You know I had almost the same thing happen to me with my girlfriend's sister a few years ago...no one shows up so i'm stuck lugging furniture damn near by myslef from the third floor of one place to the second floor of another...at least you got pizza out of the deal, you got me beat there. For once, I want to be the one mooching off people instead of the one getting a hernia because I'm a nice guy.

Oh no, Lori, I feel terrible for you and Daniel. That saying comes to mind -- "Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!" :mrgreen:

Even though they didn't help you guys move, I think you can be proud of yourselves for helping them out. A good deed does not go unrecognized! Too bad they won't appreciate it, though.

My cousin had his wedding outside in Florida in July. It was nice but I could not believe how hot it was!

I'll bet more grandmothers have died on days when friends are supposed to help friends move than any other day of the year - and by a wide margin.

Funny you should mention this Lori. I believe there is some sort of disease/ailment that strikes people only when an occassion such as "Moving Large/Heavy Object" comes up.

Case in point...my father in law asks if I want to help a friend of his move their entertainment unit. Upon arrival, the unit had not been emptied (36" TV, DVD player, etc.) and tons of photos and tons of knick knacks. The "friend" stated that he assumed "we" would do this. What a nerve! Not to mention that he suddenly had to run out to get something extremely vital and asked if we could start while he was out. 3 hours later, he returned. We had moved everything out of the unit and disassembled it. My father in law told his friend that "something came up" and we left. :D

oh you dirty rats! well, what goes around, comes around.

Yeah, Laura had to leave for about an hour to do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom