Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-23-2005, 05:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
My trip to the zoo!!! (dial-up warning!)

While some of you were at the Baltimore aquarium, I was at the Antwerp Zoo yesterday. Thought I'd share some pics. The aquarium exhibits were a little bit dissapointing though.

Old 05-23-2005, 08:05 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Aquarium disappointing?? How so...those are great specimens and that cichlid tank looks great! What size is that tank BTW?

You are fortunate that the zoo has an aquarium...New York doesn't have that luxury...

Old 05-23-2005, 09:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
No clue about the size of that tank, I didn't see any caretakers while looking at the aquaria, otherwise I would've launched a whole bunch of questions on them :P
It was dissapointing, because in 15 minutes you had seen all there was to see. I could've stayed longer and observed some fishy behaviour, but I didn't feel the need 8O

The first pic is a catfish that was about 5 feet long. The 4th pic is a pacu who was 3 feet long. And I would not have noticed the basilisks if one didn't come falling down right beside me. They were crawling around freely. Cool beasts
Old 05-23-2005, 10:59 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Thomas, those are all great pics, and it looks like a very nice zoo! I especially like the flamingos and the buffalo. What is a basilisk?

Old 05-23-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Basilisks are the ones in pictures 2 and 7. That's how they were marked.......but maybe that's just the flemish name. I googled it for you and came up with mythological creatures, so maybe I'm mistaking. Toirtis will surely know!
Old 05-23-2005, 11:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
ummmm maybe Iguana? But Im not a reptile fan, but that would be my guess...
Toirtis will be along shortly...

A Basilisks is the creature that Harry Potter batteled in The Chamber of Secerets... I think?
Old 05-23-2005, 11:20 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
I enjoyed those pictures
Join the Eastern PA/Greater Philadelphia Forum! Click here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=7825

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Nice pics! The outdoor ones turned out very well - I need to get back to the Louisville Zoo but they don't have an aqua exhibit. :\

I will take this chance to show off two of my lou- zoo pics, though.

30g long planted fw
1 blue gourami
6 rummy nose tetras
6 gold barbs
3 peppered cory cats
1 'maldito' cory cats=
1 yoyo loach
1 clown pleco
6 ghost shrimp

There are no coincidences.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:38 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus
Very cool pics, Thomas. They look like iguanas to me, too - used to have one back in the day.

That red-tailed catfish is just like one we saw in Baltimore - and they are often sold as aquarium fish, so it is good to be able to see them (and the pacu, too) the size they will eventually attain.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-23-2005, 02:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
Great pictures.

If I'm so slow , why am I allways in the front?
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com