My wife gets mad when I buy stuff for my aquarium. What to do?[emoji848]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dylanp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thinking of getting a prepaid card so she can’t see what I’m spending. What do you guys do when you’re significant others had enough of your addiction?IMG_1941.JPG

Tell her your an adult and can spend your hard earned money as you see fit. Unless you are neglecting paying the real bills first. My hubbie and I had this problem for a while and sat down to discuss a monthly Allowance of no questions asked funds. I pull that out each month and don’t overspend. No more argument.

I know this post is mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I'm going to take it very seriously. Primarily because there might be someone in this situation who has a legitimate problem.

Can you afford all of the aquarium supplies you're buying? Are you prone to irresponsible spending? Do you refuse spending on hobbies that are important to him/her?

If you answered yes to any of these questions; stop buying stuff for your aquarium.

If not, then address your relationship. No healthy relationship is maintained with lies. If s/he is controlling, badgering, and generally unpleasant about reasonable expenditures, it's time to discuss why. Couples therapy is amazingly helpful. If his/her behavior doesn't change or s/he's otherwise abusive, it's time to get out of the relationship.

If s/he is just nervous about the cost of the hobby, have a candid conversation about your expectations and his/hers. What are his/her fears? Have him/her explain them. Explain how you will address those fears, if they are reasonable.

Ultimately, you should both agree upon a budget. If you have, for example, 200 dollars a month that is allotted to your personal (not household) use, then how you spend it is your business.

Relationships are cultivated and maintained with mutual respect, kindness and compassion. They should be at least as important to you as your hobbies and, like your hobbies, require upkeep. If that reality is incompatible with your lifestyle, you need to reconsider your marriage.

You should have seen my wife's face when I dumped $2500 on a 150g tank, stand, filters, decor, and fish. Priceless.

This thread should mostly be funny my wife just thinks it’s a dumb hobby and a waste of money. King Fishers got it! I can only imagine her reaction [emoji23]

If it's meant to be than your mancave looks like this on a Friday and shes still here on Saturday;)20180803_190644.jpg20180803_190649.jpg

I wish! I think I’d have to choose between her or my aquariums if I did that

You should have seen my wife's face when I dumped $2500 on a 150g tank, stand, filters, decor, and fish. Priceless.

Wow!!

My build is looking at being around $350 and my wife and I had to have a serious talk about how to stretch that out over numerous paychecks. And that's after pinching pennies in every possible place. Thank god for the dollar per gallon sale!

Wow!!

My build is looking at being around $350 and my wife and I had to have a serious talk about how to stretch that out over numerous paychecks. And that's after pinching pennies in every possible place. Thank god for the dollar per gallon sale!
You shouldn't. creating a pitfall that may come to haunt you? Bad....

You shouldn't. creating a pitfall that may come to haunt you? Bad....

How so? We're both reasonable adults. If it becomes financially feasible to expand that budget, we will ;)

I plan on doing a 55 gallon paludarium at some point in the future. Unless it turns out that this hobby just isn't for me. This 20G is a way for me to find that out without breaking the bank!

Ultimately, so long as our bills are paid and our animals are happy and healthy, she doesn't give a **** what I do with the disposable income. We don't have kids though (thank god) so that may be a factor.

Setting up a saltwater aquarium is really the only expensive part once it’s up and going I’d compare it to buying dog food every month with the occasional splurge on buying a new coral here and there cost wise. As long as you start up right and don’t take short cuts I wouldn’t be to worried about pitfalls. All I can say is no! no! no! no! no! impulse buys and research and then research again before buying anything

I personally think if all your bills are paid and you use extra disposable income to buy your aquarium acessories then there really should be no problem.
You can try talking to her and explaining how much you love the hobby. Or you can buy her a nice gift every time you get a new aquarium item lol.

If you make a "budget" and get the bills paid and not going hungry, have a place to live, etc. and have a job/income for the household, a partnership should be mature enough to let someone spend/ "waste" their mad/fun money on anything, shoes electronics, special whatever makes them happy.

If you have to save up for something special, save up the fun money, buy any blasted thing you want.

Liking Brooksters mancave. That disarray looks like my family room when its fish time. Presently have 30" slightly modified cardboard cube box with SW rocks in it taking up space so I get a feel of what size tank I might enjoy, after seeing it there realize the 36" idea I had would stick out too far.

Spouse just asked what it was for and said, oh, hmmm. ;) We get along pretty well.

Last edited:
My wife gets mad when I buy stuff for my aquarium. What to do??

Put a candel with smell she shall be happy and okay with the rest

Would get a new wife be to much?

Hands down I have to say this is the most outrageous question I have ever seen posted.

New husbands and wives are very pricey. Lawyer expense alone will put you in the poor house.

Back
Top Bottom