Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bubbles0oO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by George9
This is a hard one....my best guess would be Nimbochromis venustus, only because i have no clue!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1
Julidochromis. Transcriptus I think, but they vary a lot.

*Egg bearer.

Both super close. It is a Julidochromis marlieri

A cool fact about these guys are that when it lays eggs it does so on a cave roof. Very secretively as well.

Well heres the next one

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2156744141.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	105840

Edit: going to bed, will continue in the morning
__________________

__________________
+ =
55g~30g~20g~10g~10g~5.5g~2g~1g~1g
Bubbles0oO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Yellow head jawfish?
__________________

__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:37 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
SushiLuckyFin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousTriggerFish
Some sort of sicklid? My best guess
Oh... is that how you pronounce it I never knew lol

Fun game, and great for us to learn stuff. I only know fancy goldfish types lol
__________________
A(Mum), M(9 yo) & H (7 yo)
Sushi (fantail) & Lucky Fin (Lionhead) in 55L
6g Fluval Edge Betta tank in the pipeline
SushiLuckyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bubbles0oO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Yellow head jawfish?
Yuppers! This is fun!:

Here is the fact: these cute little guys only get up to around 4 inches! They are mouth brooders and one of he pair golds the eggs in its mouth. The eggs don't only fill the oral cavity they protrude some way out of its mouth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiLuckyFin

Oh... is that how you pronounce it I never knew lol

Fun game, and great for us to learn stuff. I only know fancy goldfish types lol

Well you say cichlid "sicklid" but you spell it "cichlid"

Heres the next pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1744891487.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	105880
__________________
+ =
55g~30g~20g~10g~10g~5.5g~2g~1g~1g
Bubbles0oO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
TenaciousTriggerFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles0oO

Yuppers! This is fun!:

Here is the fact: these cute little guys only get up to around 4 inches! They are mouth brooders and one of he pair golds the eggs in its mouth. The eggs don't only fill the oral cavity they protrude some way out of its mouth!

Well you say cichlid "sicklid" but you spell it "cichlid"

Heres the next pic
Ya I know but I was to lazy to go back and fix it hahahaha
__________________
TenaciousTriggerFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bubbles0oO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,264
Haha its ok,

Any guesses on what it is?
__________________
+ =
55g~30g~20g~10g~10g~5.5g~2g~1g~1g
Bubbles0oO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Batfish. Very hard to keep in captivity.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bubbles0oO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,264
Good job! I though i had stumped you with that one.


The batfish are often referred to as the "Discus of the Sea"

Heres the next one


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1616536986.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	105895
__________________
+ =
55g~30g~20g~10g~10g~5.5g~2g~1g~1g
Bubbles0oO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
sally pu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 120
What happened to giving info on SW or FW....I am learning a lot I just wish I didn't have to look each one up afterwards to find out its natural habitat.

This is very informative and a great idea to help semi-noobs like myself learn some interesting facts about some other than well-known species! Keep it up! I will constantly be checking this thread for more info!
__________________
sally pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles0oO
Good job! I though i had stumped you with that one.

The batfish are often referred to as the "Discus of the Sea"

Heres the next one
Kinda looks like some sort of apisto?
__________________

__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.