Need an indoor hobby...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel crotcheing is easier then knitting.. I learned crotcheing to help some of my friends learn it.. I still cant get a handle on knitting.. cross stich isnt too tough either.. I havent seen quilting.. I personaly like printmaking as far as artforms.. wood cuts being a nice challange to my skills.. HTH
I have been drawing most of my life so picking that up first would help alot with printmaking.. just a side note.. :p

I'm a knitter, and it's great! It's something you can do while talking to other people, so if you are a bit fidgety (like me) it's a great way to keep your hands busy. You can also knit while watching movies and such. (makes me feel less like a bum and a bit more productive :) ) (As for the superficial difference between knitting and crocheting, knitting uses two straight needles, and crocheting uses one needle with a little hook on the end.)

I have recently begun quilting, too, and am really enjoying that. A quilt, however, takes up a lot more space than a scarf! :)

***edit*** I just had another thought. If you have an extra table, even a card table, you could put puzzles together. I find it very theraputic.

wow, that quilling thing looks neat! doubt I'd have the patience for it though. I think when I got to Michael's to get Halloween decorations, I'll look around for knitting stuff.

Thanks everyone!

some knitting advice: start with scarves. It's much easier to learn if you're not worried about four needles instead of two, or needing to decrease your stitches or other crazy things. :)

odobenus said:
some knitting advice: start with scarves. It's much easier to learn if you're not worried about four needles instead of two, or needing to decrease your stitches or other crazy things. :)

I am excited but worried....I have such a coordination issue, I can see the two needles flying accross the room....dropping to the floor, poking my eye....

I just learned how to knit, and I was very frustrated at first. But I kept at it and I had the basic knit stitch down in one day. If you know anyone that knits, it helps if you can actually see how it works.
Btw, I am working on a scarf :lol:

I have a scarf I began knitting last year and it's still not finished 8O I was going to knit everyone scarfs for Christmas last year and I did successfully learn how to knit and it is fun cause you can do it while watching tv.......but Christmas came and went and I hadn't finished the first scarf. It's currently in a box on top of the closet...perhaps it's time to pull it out again for this Christmas :lol:

hehe, went to walmart and got myself some yarn, a crochet needle, and a little how to book. I ended up asking my b/f's grandmother (we went to their home for their 51st anneversiary) on how to crochet. I had the first row down but couldn't figure out how to start adding rows (no, I didn't read the little book). Anyway, it is pretty neat and gives me something new to do. After I practice some more I'm going to try a big comfy blanket :D

wow! I have sparked a trend! My mother knitted me a scarf last year...but she knitted herself one too....maybe I'll make my grandmother one.

talloulou said:
I was going to knit everyone scarfs for Christmas last year

Over the past several years I knitted scarves for much of my family and several of my friends. The problem is that I ran out of family and friends, but didn't bother to stop knitting or switch to hats or mittens, and now have a lot more scarves than could be used in three lifetimes. :D I would like to say that I have switched entirely to socks, which are a lot of fun, but I can't, because I am currently making myself ANOTHER BLOODY SCARF.

When will the madness end?

Over the past several years I knitted scarves for much of my family and several of my friends. The problem is that I ran out of family and friends, but didn't bother to stop knitting or switch to hats or mittens, and now have a lot more scarves than could be used in three lifetimes. I would like to say that I have switched entirely to socks, which are a lot of fun, but I can't, because I am currently making myself ANOTHER BLOODY SCARF.

Why don't you start knitting blankets and donating them? I posted a link to the linus project earlier in this thread, they take homemade donated blankets for children. There are many other organizations who do something similar as well. That way you could still knit to your heart's content and give your friends and family a break! :)

Odobenus...no problem! It is one of those things that I want to do when I have time again (time, ha, ha, ha! I have two preschoolers!)

I'll have you know that I told a couple of the gals at work that I was thinking about taking uo knitting. They laughed hysterically for a good minute. Then one of them comes out with...yeah, she's gonna make a scarf for her fish! (prolly referring to the betta I keep on my desk at work) so they started laughing again....mmm.hmmm...see if any of them get anything I ever make.... :roll:

Imw80 said:
They laughed hysterically for a good minute.

Well, phoey on them! And I quote: "Knitting is the new smoking: it's cool, artsy, gives you something to do with your hands, and goes extremely well with coffee, ..."

and I quote again:
"the number of knitters and crocheters younger than 35 has increased 400 percent since 1998"
(click here for my source)

You just tell them they're behind the times! :D

This will be a strech because I don't know anything about you! So here it goes. I would have to say try art (most likely starting with a pincle and a drawing book from your local Hobby Lobby or something), or Puzzels. I know alot of people that love to do puzzels.

Just my 2 cents & I hope this helps

I do actually love puzzles Epaulette Shark. I need a place to do like a thousand piece puzzle. My boyfriend is renovating our house right now, so I will have to wait a bit till I have an area big enough to work on.

odobenus, those are great statistics/facts! Thanks!

I don't know if you have a green thumb, but house plants are a wonderful hobby. And then there's bonsai. Although, in my house, bonsai is a spectator sport. I bought the books and the plants and now, I watch Trevor do all the trimming and shaping :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom