Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2005, 01:58 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I feel crotcheing is easier then knitting.. I learned crotcheing to help some of my friends learn it.. I still cant get a handle on knitting.. cross stich isnt too tough either.. I havent seen quilting.. I personaly like printmaking as far as artforms.. wood cuts being a nice challange to my skills.. HTH
I have been drawing most of my life so picking that up first would help alot with printmaking.. just a side note.. :P

Old 09-10-2005, 03:07 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm a knitter, and it's great! It's something you can do while talking to other people, so if you are a bit fidgety (like me) it's a great way to keep your hands busy. You can also knit while watching movies and such. (makes me feel less like a bum and a bit more productive ) (As for the superficial difference between knitting and crocheting, knitting uses two straight needles, and crocheting uses one needle with a little hook on the end.)

I have recently begun quilting, too, and am really enjoying that. A quilt, however, takes up a lot more space than a scarf!

***edit*** I just had another thought. If you have an extra table, even a card table, you could put puzzles together. I find it very theraputic.

Think of a snake as a rope. A rope without legs and not available in hardware stores. A lot of people have died at the end of a rope. A lot of people have died at the end of a snake. Think about it. -- Ranger Gord
Old 09-10-2005, 04:47 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another fun thing to try is quilling. Its basically making pictures with rolled paper. I made all my christmas cards last year. It was really fun.
Here is some info on it...
http://www.handcraftersvillage.com/quilling.htm

http://www.parchment-craft.co.za/susan/suequilling.htm
Old 09-10-2005, 04:51 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
Quote:
World of Warcraft
...World of warcraft is not a hobby.. Its a lifestyle.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:26 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
wow, that quilling thing looks neat! doubt I'd have the patience for it though. I think when I got to Michael's to get Halloween decorations, I'll look around for knitting stuff.

Thanks everyone!

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

some knitting advice: start with scarves. It's much easier to learn if you're not worried about four needles instead of two, or needing to decrease your stitches or other crazy things.
Think of a snake as a rope. A rope without legs and not available in hardware stores. A lot of people have died at the end of a rope. A lot of people have died at the end of a snake. Think about it. -- Ranger Gord
Old 09-11-2005, 02:20 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Quote:
Originally Posted by odobenus
some knitting advice: start with scarves. It's much easier to learn if you're not worried about four needles instead of two, or needing to decrease your stitches or other crazy things.
I am excited but worried....I have such a coordination issue, I can see the two needles flying accross the room....dropping to the floor, poking my eye....

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just learned how to knit, and I was very frustrated at first. But I kept at it and I had the basic knit stitch down in one day. If you know anyone that knits, it helps if you can actually see how it works.
Btw, I am working on a scarf
Old 09-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a scarf I began knitting last year and it's still not finished 8O I was going to knit everyone scarfs for Christmas last year and I did successfully learn how to knit and it is fun cause you can do it while watching tv.......but Christmas came and went and I hadn't finished the first scarf. It's currently in a box on top of the closet...perhaps it's time to pull it out again for this Christmas
Old 09-11-2005, 09:29 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

hehe, went to walmart and got myself some yarn, a crochet needle, and a little how to book. I ended up asking my b/f's grandmother (we went to their home for their 51st anneversiary) on how to crochet. I had the first row down but couldn't figure out how to start adding rows (no, I didn't read the little book). Anyway, it is pretty neat and gives me something new to do. After I practice some more I'm going to try a big comfy blanket

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com