Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2005, 10:04 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
wow! I have sparked a trend! My mother knitted me a scarf last year...but she knitted herself one too....maybe I'll make my grandmother one.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by talloulou
I was going to knit everyone scarfs for Christmas last year
Over the past several years I knitted scarves for much of my family and several of my friends. The problem is that I ran out of family and friends, but didn't bother to stop knitting or switch to hats or mittens, and now have a lot more scarves than could be used in three lifetimes. I would like to say that I have switched entirely to socks, which are a lot of fun, but I can't, because I am currently making myself ANOTHER BLOODY SCARF.

When will the madness end?

Think of a snake as a rope. A rope without legs and not available in hardware stores. A lot of people have died at the end of a rope. A lot of people have died at the end of a snake. Think about it. -- Ranger Gord
Old 09-12-2005, 02:04 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Over the past several years I knitted scarves for much of my family and several of my friends. The problem is that I ran out of family and friends, but didn't bother to stop knitting or switch to hats or mittens, and now have a lot more scarves than could be used in three lifetimes. I would like to say that I have switched entirely to socks, which are a lot of fun, but I can't, because I am currently making myself ANOTHER BLOODY SCARF.
Why don't you start knitting blankets and donating them? I posted a link to the linus project earlier in this thread, they take homemade donated blankets for children. There are many other organizations who do something similar as well. That way you could still knit to your heart's content and give your friends and family a break!
Old 09-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Kimberly, thanks for mentioning that again. I must have skimmed over it the first time.
Think of a snake as a rope. A rope without legs and not available in hardware stores. A lot of people have died at the end of a rope. A lot of people have died at the end of a snake. Think about it. -- Ranger Gord
Old 09-12-2005, 04:06 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Odobenus...no problem! It is one of those things that I want to do when I have time again (time, ha, ha, ha! I have two preschoolers!)
Old 09-13-2005, 08:23 PM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
I'll have you know that I told a couple of the gals at work that I was thinking about taking uo knitting. They laughed hysterically for a good minute. Then one of them comes out with...yeah, she's gonna make a scarf for her fish! (prolly referring to the betta I keep on my desk at work) so they started laughing again....mmm.hmmm...see if any of them get anything I ever make....

Old 09-13-2005, 08:39 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imw80
They laughed hysterically for a good minute.
Well, phoey on them! And I quote: "Knitting is the new smoking: it's cool, artsy, gives you something to do with your hands, and goes extremely well with coffee, ..."

and I quote again:
"the number of knitters and crocheters younger than 35 has increased 400 percent since 1998"
(click here for my source)

You just tell them they're behind the times!
Old 09-14-2005, 10:51 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

This will be a strech because I don't know anything about you! So here it goes. I would have to say try art (most likely starting with a pincle and a drawing book from your local Hobby Lobby or something), or Puzzels. I know alot of people that love to do puzzels.

Just my 2 cents & I hope this helps
Old 09-14-2005, 11:35 AM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

I do actually love puzzles Epaulette Shark. I need a place to do like a thousand piece puzzle. My boyfriend is renovating our house right now, so I will have to wait a bit till I have an area big enough to work on.

odobenus, those are great statistics/facts! Thanks!

Old 09-14-2005, 02:07 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know if you have a green thumb, but house plants are a wonderful hobby. And then there's bonsai. Although, in my house, bonsai is a spectator sport. I bought the books and the plants and now, I watch Trevor do all the trimming and shaping

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com