Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2005, 09:48 AM   #1
cJw
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Need Author/Book Recommendation...

Heyas!

I work about 30 miles from home, so I spend a lot of time in the car. Since modern radio is teh crap, I prefer to listen to audio books. Currently, I'm waiting for book 7 in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series (highly recommended!).

While I'm waiting for that, I'm also waiting for the last book in Terry Goodkind's The Sword of Truth series. Neither of these books will be in my hands any time soon, so I'm looking for somethings in the meantime.

I picked up the original Starship Troopers and Clive Barker's Galilee yesterday and they'll last about a week... but then what?

As you can see, I'm a Stephen King fan (most of all), followed not so closely by Clive Barker. Following that are random fantasy authors, Terry Goodkind being one, as well as Marc Anthony and a few of the Dragonlance authors.

That said, does anyone have any ideas as to authors I would possibly enjoy? Or even any good books you've enjoyed a lot?

(Boy do I like to type/ramble!)

tia -

6 gold barbs
3 peppered cory cats
1 'maldito' cory cats=
1 yoyo loach
1 clown pleco
6 ghost shrimp

There are no coincidences.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am a huge King fan so yeah, anything he wrote. But, I also love Ann Rice. Try any of the Vampire Chronicles or any of the witch series. You can't loose.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ayesha97 Send a message via Yahoo to Ayesha97
Try out Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card. Card is a fabolous writer, he writessci fi with very real and human characters.

If you enjoy fantasy, Piers Anthony has some good books. There is he Xanth Series (loved when I was in middle/high school, but out grew them). They are about a fantasy land that looks alot like FL and is full of puns (ie. Butterflies... are pieces of toast with butter on them that flap around, money really does grow on trees... and like I mentioned before, cute stuff, but the puns got old).

Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series is also worth checking out. Its about the different aspects of the world (Death, Nature, War, Time, Evil, God) as offices that are filled by real people. Very entertaining read!

You mentioned that you like fantasy, check out JK Rowling's Harry Potter series. Don't believe the hype, its not just for kids. The books are well written and they are really cool!!!!

If you are looking for a more tongue in cheek look at the world of fantasy try John Moore's Heroics for Beginners. He takes a new approach to the old fairy tale.

Of course there the Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code. A very quick read and thought provking.

You mentioned that you like Clive Barker, have you read his latest "young adult" series. The first one is Arabat (I think that is the right spelling). I read it, and found some of the images very weird (he also did all of the artwork in the book). You may enjoy and there is also a sequal that is already out, so you can get two in a row without waiting!

For more investation type novels be sure to pick up Patricia Cornwell (just start at the beginning with them, she follows the Medical Examiner of Richmond throughout her one series), John Case has a few good books as well. And don't forget John Grisham too (a lot of his books have become movies).

Michael Crichton has some good books as well (author of Jurassic Park, Sphere and a bunch of others that have already become movies!). He takes current things that are possible with science and then expands on them and takes them to the extreme.

I really didn't intend to ramble on for so long! But you have hit upon one of my loves. I'm always on the lookout for a good book, please feel free to let me in on some of your favorites.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
I like anything by Kurt Vonnegut, but his books have doodles in it, that add to the humor. So I dunno if it would be a good book on tape.

Old 07-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you read the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time books? I don't know if they are on tape or not.

Kimberly
Old 07-01-2005, 03:48 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I just got the unabridged full set of the The Lord of the Rings on CD. I should say 46 CDs, 52 hours worth of excellent voice acting.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...6276&x=1414107
Old 07-01-2005, 06:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to tracygh Send a message via Yahoo to tracygh
I second the recommendation of Patricia Cornwell, I have read everything she has written. Incredible. I also like Robin Cook for the medical thrillers, and along the Stephen King lines, Dean Koontz in a sure winner.

Happy reading...er...listening

*of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most*
Old 07-01-2005, 07:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
You could also try Moby Dick by Herman Melville, Jaws by Peter Benchley, 20000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne, etc. Maybe I'm overdoing it with the aquatic themes
Old 07-05-2005, 09:50 AM   #9
cJw
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow - thanks for all the ideas!

I've read some Anne Rice and it somehow didn't sit well with me, but that was a long time ago. Perhaps my attention span has increased. :p

Maybe I should have to read your post onto tape and I could listen to it, Ayesha97. I've read most all Clive Barker I've found but was unaware he had a new series out... have to look into that. I've had lots of people recommend the Harry Potter series - including family - so there's that if nothing else. If only those had come out while I was in middle school, I might be a wizard now. :p

Robert Jordan Wheel of Time is available - I've looked at them and considered them, but something else always caught my eye... as of yet.

I tried to read LotR and it drove me crazy - get out of the Elven town already! :frown: Perhaps on tape it would be more bearable... I did like the Hobbit quite a bit...

I think I read all Dean Koontz had out up until about 5 years ago... his books always seemed to formulaic: man meets woman, who either has an extraordinary pet or child, and then they somehow wind up running from some ultimate evil... has that changed? ;p

Oh haha, gheitman.

Jeez, what a reply!

I wanted to clarify something, in hopes that more replies will come. By fantasy, perhaps I should have said 'fantastical'... like Clive Barker is to John Grisham, get me?

Not so much sword and sorcery (although I do enjoy that as well) but moreso the weirdly supernatural. :shrug:

All suggestions are welcome and thanks again!
6 gold barbs
3 peppered cory cats
1 'maldito' cory cats=
1 yoyo loach
1 clown pleco
6 ghost shrimp

There are no coincidences.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

try nelson demille. or chuck palahniuk is a definite. he's weird but great. and they will definitely keep your interest.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com