NEED HELP FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oscarbreeder

Aquarium Advice Addict
We are in the middle of a major ice storm here in South Carolina(I know go figure).

I have no battery back up on my tank to run heaters and air stones(never thought Id need them..DUH)

How can I keep the temp up in my 55 and 10 gal tanks.
Dont want to kill my fish.
Battery back up is now in my future plans.
THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

Not sure about the temps; I think as long as they go down slowly, and remain above 60F or so you should be ok in the short term. Its more the fast change in temps then the temps themselves thats the biggest issue. Some folks add warm water from the tap (treated of course) to the tank to help keep temps up.

As for the filter and aeration; when we lost power over the summer I took a large measuring cup (2 quarts), and poured water in and out of the tank for 5 mins every hour making sure to splash. I also poured it thru the filter as well to keep the media wet and in contact with oxygenated water.

Have some blankets ready or dry towels ready to drape over the tank or to wrap the tank with. This will slow down the tank cool down process. If you have a gas cook stove or a wood burning stove heating up some water and floating bags of warm water will also help if power is out for a long time.

As was mentioned providing some form of water movement to help oxygenate the water is important. More fish will die due to suffication than from the cold temperatures.

Oscarbreeder, I share your concern because that storm is heading my way.

You could wrap the tanks with blankets and close the drapes in the room to minimize heat loss. Maybe even put a few hotpacks between the glass and the blankets. I'd be more concerned about the 10 gal tanks which will cool down much faster.

This may be a crazy idea, but if you had a deep tray that a 10 gal tank could sit in, you could boil some water (if you have a gas stove), mix it with some cool water so you don't crack the tank, and pour it around the 10 gal tank - a heated water jacket so to speak.

Hopefully, you won't be without electricity too long.

So far so good.
The electricity has stayed on even tho it is blinking every once in a while.
Thanks for the great tip everyone.
I have lit a fire in the fire place which is in the same room hope it will help keep the tanks warm.

a fire in the room will certainly help as the tank won't drop below the ambient room temperature. I would say, keep the fire going and wrap the tank with blankets and you'll be good to go as long as you can keep the room in the mid 70's (which i'm sure is where you want it for your sake anyway!)

Hope you weather the storm!! (so to speak :wink: )

All is fine.
The electricity ended up going out late last night until about 1 this afternoon.
Kept the fire place going and a blanket around the tanks.
Poured water in and out of the tank as Alli suggested.
All the lil fishies made it.
Thanks for the tips yall.
:mrgreen:

Excellent :) Glad to hear all is well.

Now its our turn up here in NY; prob no electrical probs *fingers crossed* but oi, 8-12 inches of snow overnight. We BETTER have a snow day tomorrow LOL

Lost my power today, only 5 hours, thank goodness. Tanmks stayed fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom