Need reality check.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hhhhhhmmmm, I know somebody who did turn their basement into one big plywood tank (or should I say sea since it was saltwater).

jlk said:
Getting the wife on board is the hardest part??? How about getting my husband on board!!!! He thinks the fish & tanks & the water changes & my desire for bigger tanks is RIDICULOUS!!!! Wait til i start breeding.....LMFAO!

That sounds just like mine! Although he does enjoy looking at them. Trying to convince him we NEED another tank so I don't have to trade my RTS. His fav fish. ;)

My husbands eyes almost popped out of his head when i 'suggested' this past wknd i needed a better lighting system for my plants.... i tried to placate his sensible side by suggesting he could make it a DIY project (and it would be cheaper) but he doesnt seem to agree with the idea on any level!! LOL

I had the same problem. My friends and family talked some sense into me. Its pretty crazy to have more than 5 huge tanks (50+ gallons each). You really have to slow down. If you really want new tank, then do it every 3-4 months. Give yourself time to absorb what you have and need to maintain. There are a lot of things to consider year round in your life. Just try to stick with two fw (cichilid and planted) and two sw tank (reef and fowlr tank). That way you are exposed to almost all aspect of this hobby.

Once I completed the charcoal drawing for the back of my tank, my gf pretty much assumes I've lost it.

image-846707978.jpg

Convict2161 said:
Thats awesome! Wanna draw up a background for mine?! :)

LOL! Thank you! That took me a couple weeks to finish, and it's only a 29 gallon. I notice you have a 55... I may have to charge. ;)

$1,000 for your own personal background! :p

So... I GOT THE TANK!!!!! :) :) :)

Questions. Do I have to cycle the new tank? Can I add some tank water,gravel,decor,and 1 filter, let it run a few days then do another pwc add that water to new tank and so on and so on? What's the best way to do this so my fish are safe and not shocked?

I'm gonna remove everything and place it in the new tank with a few Cichlid stone caves. And my other heater I'm gonna put in the new tank to get the water to temp 78

Put in the air stone,plants etc...

Any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!! :)

I'm no expert on here, but I was told to just use some of the filter media from my older tank. But then, you will need to stock ASAP because that BB needs ammonia to live off of. If you cannot stock right away, just throw in some food flakes.

I do know you want to start with fresh water

This is how I was told to start my 10 gallon. I cut a piece of the filter from my 29 and put it in with a new filter in the 10.

Granted, your on a much larger scale...

Congrats on the new tank! If your upgrading just move everything across from the old to the new tank. Filter, gravel, decor, plants, fish, etc. And there will be no cycle (or a small mini cycle, look out for that). Don't forget pics when your done!

Mumma.of.two said:
Congrats on the new tank! If your upgrading just move everything across from the old to the new tank. Filter, gravel, decor, plants, fish, etc. And there will be no cycle (or a small mini cycle, look out for that). Don't forget pics when your done!

I will absolutely have pics! And lots! :) probably a week or so away waiting for the stand. So just move everything over? Water and all? Can I do that and then add all my fish into the new tank all at once?I'm worried about stressing them.

And thanks I'm so pumped!! My 75 finally!! Now I'm done! I promised the wife this is it. And I think all my fish will be happy. I don't plan on adding anymore as I already have 25 in my 55 but there small so i think they'll be just fine! :)

Convict2161 said:
I will absolutely have pics! And lots! :) probably a week or so away waiting for the stand. So just move everything over? Water and all? Can I do that and then add all my fish into the new tank all at once?I'm worried about stressing them.

And thanks I'm so pumped!! My 75 finally!! Now I'm done! I promised the wife this is it. And I think all my fish will be happy. I don't plan on adding anymore as I already have 25 in my 55 but there small so i think they'll be just fine! :)

Don't feed them the day before. Put them in a bucket or two or three. :) Move everything over and most of the water. Fill the rest of the tank up with dechlorinated water and turn you filters on. Acclimatize the fish and add them to the new tank. Leave the lights off for a day or two and test every day or two just to make sure your not mini cycling.

Back
Top Bottom