Need reality check.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
This whole fish hobby has taken over! I went through 4 tanks in about a month and a half till I finally got my 55 now I found a 75g BF on CL for 280.00 with nice black stand that has drawers, looks really nice. Just needs new glass canopy.

Wife is yelling why do you need a bigger tank you just keep buying tanks and then go through this whole cycle thing and then once you get it right your out looking for another tank. Long story short, I think she may be right. I'm always looking for bigger and better. She's already willing to let me put a sea quest 130d in the bedroom, so maybe I should cut my loses.

I'm thinking of re doing my 55 with all Cichlid stone caves which she'll get me for Xmas. So that will change what I already have and probably hold me over for awhile and once I get the SW I'm SURE that will be enough for me to look at. A nice SW to look at in the bedroom and my nice 55 BF in the living room with my Africans.

Does anyone else have this problem or should I say love an passion for this? How do you handle it? I'm always reading,researching, and finding different things to add etc... I have to slow down. Who knew fish could get so addicting! I love looking at them, taking care of them, I love the water changes and testing the water. It's very rewarding to see your fish healthy and happy and knowing your water conditions are perfect!

Then you sit back and enjoy them. And the comments when people come over, I love them too! If I could I'd make my basement a huge aquarium. I guess I just have to step back.

Putting the stone caves I think will help a lot. I like the way they look A LOT! And can't wait to redo the tank. It's something to look forward to.

Maybe getting the 75 is pushing it. I can see she's not happy with the idea. She thinks the tank is huge and thinks its gonna take over the living room. It's harder then I thought! I look at my tank and sometimes I'm just not satisfied. I look and say get that 75 in there, those fish would love it, I could add a lot of rocks and caves. But I guess in the end. It's a good looking tank and she did breakdown for the SW so I guess I have the best of both worlds. Then we'll see what the future holds.

First off, 280 for the tank isn't really that good of a price. I'd hold out for some rock bottom pricing myself.

It's a balancing act, you can enjoy the hobby but you also have to keep everyone else in the home happy also.

It's a hard question for me to answer since I have so many tanks, but you just have to find a happy medium.

jetajockey said:
First off, 280 for the tank isn't really that good of a price. I'd hold out for some rock bottom pricing myself.

It's a balancing act, you can enjoy the hobby but you also have to keep everyone else in the home happy also.

It's a hard question for me to answer since I have so many tanks, but you just have to find a happy medium.

Well I'm glad you said that about the tank! Makes me feel better. If I find one cheaper then it will be easier. And your right! 280 for the tank then 100 to replace the canopy so 380 really isn't a bargain so thanks for putting that in perspective.

And your right again a happy medium. And I think with the holidays and my new son, my wife getting me rock caves for the 55 and letting me get the sea quest for the bedroom(she likes the SW fish also) is indeed a happy medium :)

So for now I will be happy, enjoy my fish and taking care of them, enjoy my family, look forward to redoing my 55 with the caves and also look forward to my new journey with SW for Xmas.

Thanks.

Getting the wife on board is the first, and usually hardest, thing to do in the hobby. Once you do that, it's a cake walk. I got mine interested by letter her 'help' pick fish. I told her what was available to pick from and let her help me decide which to get from there. I also let her help me do water changes and try and tell her a little bit about the ecosystem every time she does. She has an OK grasp on how things work, though I haven't given her all the boring details.

mfdrookie516 said:
Getting the wife on board is the first, and usually hardest, thing to do in the hobby. Once you do that, it's a cake walk. I got mine interested by letter her 'help' pick fish. I told her what was available to pick from and let her help me decide which to get from there. I also let her help me do water changes and try and tell her a little bit about the ecosystem every time she does. She has an OK grasp on how things work, though I haven't given her all the boring details.

haha seriously!! women are the hardest part of fish keeping lol

i tried the 'come pick out fish' move but my girl doesnt want to anymore cuz i rehomed her parrot (w/ all my americans) a while back lol

when we finally get a bigger place, she's gonna hate it!! i'm thinking minimum 2 55gals & a 75 :)

mfdrookie516 said:

That's a good idea. She wanted to feed them the other day and enjoyed it. She hates the idea of fish water and if it spills during a water change. Even though I use the python she still makes sure I disinfect everything I touch. But she's getting more on board I think, I mean she said ok to the SW tank so that 2 tanks...

Now I'll wait a little bit then see if I can get a bigger tank for the living room. That's my main thing is a bigger tank for my Africans. I'm overstocked I know this and I'm running a penguin 350 and a aqua clear 110 to help with water quality, I test everyday and do changes once a week or more if needed.

I am so happy that my lady is on board! She's usually worse than me with new tanks and fish! lol

Amen! As my husband and I always say "pick your battles".

Lucky for me, he also has a tank and beyond that, loves my tanks, too. Convict, it sounds like your wife hasn't crossed over to becoming a fish lover yet. Perhaps if you got her more involved?

Maybe you just haven't found your "niche" yet, inasfar as which species you want to have and that's part of why you're changing tanks so often. There's nothing wrong with having a species for a little while and then realizing "hey, that's not for me". Rehome those fish and get something else. But you should try to stick with the tank that you have.

If the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy..... :cool:

LyndaB said:
But you should try to stick with the tank that you have.

If the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy..... :cool:

Going to stick with the tank I have as I put A LOT of time,thought and effort into it and I do really love the way it came out.

And your soooooo right! A happy wife = a happy life!! :)

Also I'm getting her more involved as well. She liked the Africans because of color and thought they looked pretty and more alive, so I re homes the convicts back to my friend and she picked out about I'd say 6 Africans and now she wants to feed them :)

She's just not so into the water changing lol, but I'll handle that for now. She does help though...

I have those same problems but I do have to say, 280$ for a 75 gallon really is kind of pricey...especially since it isnt complete...just my opinion :)

kelbaker79 said:
I have those same problems but I do have to say, 280$ for a 75 gallon really is kind of pricey...especially since it isnt complete...just my opinion :)

Yeah I'm not gonna go for it. I have time so I'll wait for a real good deal.

Even if I just get it and put it on storage for the time being. At least I'll have gotten something at a great price.

Getting the wife on board is the hardest part??? How about getting my husband on board!!!! He thinks the fish & tanks & the water changes & my desire for bigger tanks is RIDICULOUS!!!! Wait til i start breeding.....LMFAO!

jlk said:
Getting the wife on board is the hardest part??? How about getting my husband on board!!!! He thinks the fish & tanks & the water changes & my desire for bigger tanks is RIDICULOUS!!!! Wait til i start breeding.....LMFAO!

Ha!! I know the feeling!!

Yeah I'm not gonna go for it. I have time so I'll wait for a real good deal.

Even if I just get it and put it on storage for the time being. At least I'll have gotten something at a great price.

Well, hey convict, petsmart has a marineland 60 with stand on sale for $249, or a 75 for $206, and those are brand new. I think you should get the wife more invoved, cause there's always going to be CL and/or sales...always. If you get her on board and involved, maybe she'll even want her own tank... then you two could go to town together....:kiss::smitten::flowers:

75 for 206?! Really? I'm gonna have to look into that. I wonder if the one by me has it. I'm gonna call.

jlk said:

LOL!! That's how my wife feels! I'm talking to her down and she's staring me down lol!! She goes your on that fish thingy again aren't you?! Hahaha!!

75 for 206?! Really? I'm gonna have to look into that. I wonder if the one by me has it. I'm gonna call.

Ahem...... already forget that you said this? :whistle:

Going to stick with the tank I have as I put A LOT of time,thought and effort into it and I do really love the way it came out.

And your soooooo right! A happy wife = a happy life!! :)

Back
Top Bottom