Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2008, 07:16 PM   #41
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Glad it's all worked out.
Like the other mentioned, McAfee isn't exactly all they make it out to be. I use NOD32, but a very good free antivirus is AVG. I always install it on my clients pc's when they have expired antivirus programs loaded.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #42
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Like I said...I've been out of the loop for a while. McAfee was once one of the best options. I guess you go with what you know. I just renewed the software too. I'll check into some of your suggestions.

I'm also going to keep EVERYONE away from my computer.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I really do appreciate it!

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:42 PM   #43
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
In these days, out of the loop is about 3-6 months (used to be about 2 years...about 4 years ago!). Glad it worked!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry I only know about macs, hope your problem gets fixed!
Old 10-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #45
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well I am pleased to say that my computer is happy again. Thank you all for the help!

mlpbarrett....I'm planning on going MAC with my next computer purchase!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
heh, I worked at a computer repair shop up until a week ago. We'd get about 3 or 4 machines a day with different variation of windows antivirus 2009. It is a major pain to remove, and usually a system that has this malware installed has other malware as well, so we always just recommended a windows reload.

And go Mac if you want, but I'll always say a well built and well maintained PC will blow any Mac out of the water. I know my custom built $500 PC dominates the $2000 macs at my university. hah
Old 10-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #47
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp1588 View Post
heh, I worked at a computer repair shop up until a week ago. We'd get about 3 or 4 machines a day with different variation of windows antivirus 2009. It is a major pain to remove, and usually a system that has this malware installed has other malware as well, so we always just recommended a windows reload.
Yep....shops like that are what keeps my "side job" so busy. 99.999% of the time there is no reason to wipe out the drive and reinstall.
The XP Antivirus 2009 is a simply hoax. It's not malware, spyware or a virus. The problems start when it's run and people click try to have it fix the problems. To remove it, open task manager and stop the task. I believe it's antivirus2009.exe. Once the task is stopped, go into windows explorer and delete the folder.
I use 3 tools to fix infected pc's. Combofix, AVG Antivirus and Winternals System Commander. I have not had to format and reinstall an operating system on any pc because of an infection (and if your in college, I've been doing this since you were in grade school ).
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #48
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
Yep....shops like that are what keeps my "side job" so busy. 99.999% of the time there is no reason to wipe out the drive and reinstall.
The XP Antivirus 2009 is a simply hoax. It's not malware, spyware or a virus. The problems start when it's run and people click try to have it fix the problems. To remove it, open task manager and stop the task. I believe it's antivirus2009.exe. Once the task is stopped, go into windows explorer and delete the folder.
I use 3 tools to fix infected pc's. Combofix, AVG Antivirus and Winternals System Commander. I have not had to format and reinstall an operating system on any pc because of an infection (and if your in college, I've been doing this since you were in grade school ).
I agree you should never have to format or reinstall an OS. Always a way to fix the problem.
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
well, generally the systems that these people brought in had many other things wrong with them. I don't remember a single time when I worked with a system that had this installed that ran even close to acceptable. And sure, you can run malware scans, and registry cleaners, and virus scans, and all kinds of little tweaks and and scans and such, but there comes a time when reformatting is just easier and better in my opinion.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #50
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree on both sides. I back up my stuff so have no issues wiping out my OS and starting over, on the other hand, it is fun playing in the registry and searching out the nasty little programs.
And sometimes, I just like a clean start. I usually build a new PC every few years....ever tried to move a HD over from an older MB to a new one? It's fun trying to remove all the old drivers...lol...I only did that once!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com