Need some letter writing advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
My husband and I are going on vacation in July (YEA!!!) and we are leaving my daughter with my inlaws. I wanted to write a letter or some thing saying that we give them permission to take her to the doctors if needs be.
I also wonder if there is some special form or letter we can wright giving them guardianship incase something awful happens.
Any suggestions?

If I'm not mistaken (my wife and I have been through this numerous times), the only time you are required to have a written "treat as noted" document, is when you are leaving your child with non-family members for extended periods.

The laws of certain states may differ but you do not need a letter of temporary custody.

It's going to have to be legal. Talk to attorney and have them do special power of attorney for the medical stuff.
For the guardianship your probably going to need some sort of living will.
I don't know how much these are. The Army gave them to us free.

We_____&_____, give___(mom-in-law)_____ permission to make any and all medical decisions for our daughter_________, born on_______. SS#123-45-6789. She has no known (or list allergies) allergies.

signed_____&______ date

Your and hubbys signatures, along with mom-in-laws
you can also write up on the same paper that in the event of both your deaths, any and all guardianship transfers to your mom-in-law.
Go get it notarized (sp?)
when you get home from your vacation, go get a will made up. otherwise your daughter could loose out big time in the event of your death. Make sure your Inlaws have at least a copy of her medical card, the real one is better...

Thanks! I know writing this stuff out is probably not necessary but better safe than sorry. I read online that in the event of death, guardianship would go to the nearest relatives by proxy, but I am going to type up something any way. We definitely need to see a lawyer about a will.

If you have it down on paper, then there is no way someone (just in case you have a relative that you would rather not have keeping you daughter) could give your inlaws a hard time... it could cause them alot of trouble in court battles. an example would be the maternal grandparents vs paternal. You may prefer one over the other... but they could give the other Grandparent a tough time over her. Custody BS and she end up in foster care (depending on state laws) for a few days... yikes! I am sure everyone gets along just fine, and that wouldnt be an issue... but its just much better to cover all bases. Just in case. :wink:

mentallylost said:
It's going to have to be legal. Talk to attorney and have them do special power of attorney for the medical stuff.
For the guardianship your probably going to need some sort of living will.
I don't know how much these are. The Army gave them to us free.

This is correct...talk to your legal counsel on just what you need.....your local hospital will also be able to help with info on what you require.

I agree, although I may be biased. There may be specific language that has to be there, depending on your state. An attorney can guide you through what is necessary to make it effective and prevent loopholes If you are in a crunch, the homemade agreement may tide you over, but you will want to formalize it when you get the chance. I charge a lot less to draw up an agreement than what I charge to fix an agreement in court.

Do not worry too mcuh about it. IF anything happens, there is not a hospital around that would refuse to treat your child. A generic letter like the ones listed is just fine and do not forget to include the insurance info. Any Meds and doses, allergies (as mentioned) and medical history are also important. Do not forget a contact number for you or your hubby. Relax and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom