Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ashleynicole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperchaos
I work in a LFS,
And its hard to keep track of who comes and goes. Luckily for me having the memory of a elephant helps me remember what tank they have and whats in it.
People dont think things through before they try and systimaticly lie to you. e.g Young chap walks in i sell him a 35 Elite Marina, Comes back in a couple of days wanting to buy a school of 8 blue fin tetra!!!
I asked him the usual questions (see if i could catch him out), size tank, heated or not , filter size/media, other fish??
He didnt lie , which was appreciated.
And i refused sale , at that point he went walking off swearing saying he knows what hes doing.
They were a bad batch of blues in the end anyway so im glad i didnt. :/
I don't understand why you refused to sell him tetras? Why are 8 tetras too much for a 35gallon? Maybe he was going to do a fish in cycle?
__________________

__________________
ashleynicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
If I were running a LFS and a customer was talking other customers out of sales then I would ask them to stop, if they refused then I would ban them from my store. I would also seriously reconsider the employment of any workers that were refusing sales on the grounds that have been presented so far in the thread.

I know people mean well and all that but a customer has a right to get what they want to a certain extent.
__________________

__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ashleynicole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
If I were running a LFS and a customer was talking other customers out of sales then I would ask them to stop, if they refused then I would ban them from my store. I would also seriously reconsider the employment of any workers that were refusing sales on the grounds that have been presented so far in the thread.

I know people mean well and all that but a customer has a right to get what they want to a certain extent.
Exactly.
__________________
ashleynicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Viperchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole

I don't understand why you refused to sell him tetras? Why are 8 tetras too much for a 35gallon? Maybe he was going to do a fish in cycle?
35 litres equal to 8 gal i think,
these tetras are 3.5" long :/
__________________
Viperchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Viperchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
If I were running a LFS and a customer was talking other customers out of sales then I would ask them to stop, if they refused then I would ban them from my store. I would also seriously reconsider the employment of any workers that were refusing sales on the grounds that have been presented so far in the thread.

I know people mean well and all that but a customer has a right to get what they want to a certain extent.
As previously explained i would not begin to question someone if they were to come up with clear solid information.
Jetajockey if you would sell 8, 3.5" blue fin tetra in a uncycled 9 gallon/35 litre tank. then i will leave you to deal with animal protection as we follow strict rules.

Fine if he wanted to lie to me then he could of but he didnt. How would it have looked to my manager if i just handed the fish over no questions asked?
Im in it for the fish not the money.
__________________
Viperchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #16
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperchaos View Post
As previously explained i would not begin to question someone if they were to come up with clear solid information.
Jetajockey if you would sell 8, 3.5" blue fin tetra in a uncycled 9 gallon/35 litre tank. then i will leave you to deal with animal protection as we follow strict rules.

Fine if he wanted to lie to me then he could of but he didnt. How would it have looked to my manager if i just handed the fish over no questions asked?
Im in it for the fish not the money.


I don't know of any blue tetras that are 3.5" to begin with unless you are talking about congos. You aren't selling fish to a fish tank, you are selling them to a person. You can make it known that you think that those fish really don't belong in that size tank, and strongly advise against it even, or point them at some larger tanks they can purchase, or more compatible fish.

As far as cycling goes, why not give the guy some basic information on tank cycling and maybe some seeded media from the tanks there? That'd speed things along.

And no, 8 3.5" fish whatever they may be are not the best thing for a 9 gallon tank, but it's not an instant death situation, and definitely not something worthy of calling animal control.

My biggest concern in this thread is that while meaning well it seems like people get a bit overzealous in their attempts to help others in what they consider 'proper' fish care, when there are many ways to do things and our own is not necessarily the only 'proper' one.

If you owned a LPS, sure, force people to bring in water samples before you let them have your fish, do a home tour if they buy a dog, or make them bring the cage they are keeping that prospective pet bird in, but personally it's not for me, I am just one to inform people the best I can and let them be responsible for their own actions.

I'm just showing you the other side of the issue, it's not always just some customer with some absurd stocking plans.
__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
richardh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sheffield, UK
Posts: 210
A good lfs can offer good advice. I liked the look of a couple golden algae eaters and was on the verge of buying them, to control the algae in my tank. When the assistant asked what size tank they were going in (17g) he then advised they can get quite large and sold me some otos instead. Helpful, but not to the point of condescending.
__________________
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Viperchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey

I don't know of any blue tetras that are 3.5" to begin with unless you are talking about congos.
Blue Fin tetra have a dominant Red strip over a blue sail like Dorsal, and a fork caudal.
They arent congo simply because they arent similar in anyway. I will try and find out latin name for you from stock catalogue.
And where i work we dont believe in the " tank you dont have" suggestion. Theres nothing more annoying than being told that the solution is to splash more cash and hastly being pointed towards the largest & most expensive tank in the shop.
Were all up for selling our stock but we care about fishs' well being, so a fish enduced cycle isnt an option. Sure modern tropicals are bred to endure harsh captivity conditions, but it doesnt mean we force them through into such conditions.

And so yeah even top fishkeepers suffer ammonia spikes, whitespot, fin rot... but i have no control over that.
Basically it seems like your challenging/insulting my ability to give advice.
By saying you would basically fire me if i worked for you!
__________________
Viperchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #19
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperchaos View Post
And where i work we dont believe in the " tank you dont have" suggestion. Theres nothing more annoying than being told that the solution is to splash more cash and hastly being pointed towards the largest & most expensive tank in the shop.
Really? You don't believe in selling someone a proper tank for the fish they want? I didn't say just point them at the biggest/expensive tank, but give them an actual recommendation on what you'd put the fish in. In a LFS that sells tanks, I'd think there'd be an effort to sell some of them, especially when they are needed in a situation.

Quote:
Were all up for selling our stock but we care about fishs' well being, so a fish enduced cycle isnt an option. Sure modern tropicals are bred to endure harsh captivity conditions, but it doesnt mean we force them through into such conditions.
This is my point, not everyone fishless cycles, heck the vast majority of fishkeepers don't fishless cycle, and you can in fact safely and easily fish-in cycle a tank without harming a single fish if you do it correctly.

But that's not the way that your shop does it I'm guessing? There's nothing wrong with fishless cycling, but it's not the only humane way to do it.



Quote:
And so yeah even top fishkeepers suffer ammonia spikes, whitespot, fin rot... but i have no control over that.
Basically it seems like your challenging/insulting my ability to give advice.
By saying you would basically fire me if i worked for you!
I'm not trying to insult you, but yes I am challenging some of the things said in this thread because they are just not realistic. And if you were an employee of mine I would say the same thing I'm saying now, I wouldn't fire you over it but I would teach you other alternatives to show to customers rather than just the door.
__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
This reminds me of the time someone told me the baby atlantic blue tang I saw in the store would do just fine in a 29 gallon fish tank...
__________________

__________________
Alumentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.