Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

negative reactions

So I just had my first bad reaction to some fishy advice. Something as simple as certain fish preferring to be kept in a school rather than single.

Someone called me a "douche" because he had kept two tetras in his tank for years with no problems.

So when have you had a bad reaction to good advice?

Old 12-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't speak to people at the fish stores. It would make me go mad. I dont ask the sales people questions and when they start questioning me about my tanks, I say "i know what I'm doing and I know what I want, thank you".

I was buying frozen mice the other day at petsmart and this crazy sales lady kept asking "what are you feeding". First I told her "i don't need help thanks!" But she kept hounding me. So I finally put the boxes down and drove a few blocks to petco.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Usually the best thing to do is walk in, grab what you want and get outta there! So many times I have tried to correct someone and had them look at me like I'm a complete nutter. I had one lady questioning me about how I keep my bettas the other week. She was trying to sell me a 'Betta bowl' to keep my new Betta in. She almost died of shock when I said they where cruel and I kept mine in tanks. lol.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I don't like people offering advice without me asking for it. Someone tried to tell me I was doing something wrong at the fish store one time and the response you got would be considered very mild compared to the one I gave. IMO, your suggestions are best kept to yourself unless asked for.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
I don't like people offering advice without me asking for it. Someone tried to tell me I was doing something wrong at the fish store one time and the response you got would be considered very mild compared to the one I gave. IMO, your suggestions are best kept to yourself unless asked for.
Yes I feel the same way! It's nice to have someone say "can I help you", but if I say no thanks, then that means "leave me the heck alone".
Old 12-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya i agree, but i went to a pet store and because im a kid they think i know nothing and ask tons of questions about my set up. Anyways one lady aske me what size tank i had before selling me a fish so i was happy she did that
Old 12-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
On the other hand, I almost sure that you have positive experiences helping someone at the pet store... I helped a family that was trying to buy a fish tank with a lot of fish at the same time, first time for them. With no idea of cycling the tank first, etc. The Petco way was packing everything already ( fish included )... The mom engaged in a conversation with me, and after 20 minutes they were so appreciative of the advise, they canceled the purchase of the fish (Petco guy not happy at all ) at least for that day.
I even email them the nitrogen cycle document and gave them the link to this forum...felt soooo good.
ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaramillo01
On the other hand, I almost sure that you have positive experiences helping someone at the pet store... I helped a family that was trying to buy a fish tank with a lot of fish at the same time, first time for them. With no idea of cycling the tank first, etc. The Petco way was packing everything already ( fish included )... The mom engaged in a conversation with me, and after 20 minutes they were so appreciative of the advise, they canceled the purchase of the fish (Petco guy not happy at all ) at least for that day.
I even email them the nitrogen cycle document and gave them the link to this forum...felt soooo good.
Yeah sometimes you can do good, but in my experience people are not receptive when the sales person starts arguing and giving opposite information. Been there .
Old 12-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was sitting and watching a man with his wife buy a 20g tank one day.. while the store rep was trying to catch the fish for him he asked me if I have any fish tanks. I told him what I had and casually asked what he was getting. He was buying an Oscar to put in a 20g starter kit.

I told him there was three problems with what was going on.

1. You listened to the store rep
2. You don't have a cycled tank
3. Oscar's need 75g alone (full grown)

I advised him on a 55g tank I saw on CL earlier that morning, so he ended up ditching the entire sale. He left with knowledge of cycling and most likely getting himself a 55g tank w/ lid & light + stand for 75$.

I felt pretty good, but the Petsmart employee was a little ticked.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I work in a LFS,
And its hard to keep track of who comes and goes. Luckily for me having the memory of a elephant helps me remember what tank they have and whats in it.
People dont think things through before they try and systimaticly lie to you. e.g Young chap walks in i sell him a 35 Elite Marina, Comes back in a couple of days wanting to buy a school of 8 blue fin tetra!!!
I asked him the usual questions (see if i could catch him out), size tank, heated or not , filter size/media, other fish??
He didnt lie , which was appreciated.
And i refused sale , at that point he went walking off swearing saying he knows what hes doing.
They were a bad batch of blues in the end anyway so im glad i didnt. :/

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com