Nemo and friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
As most of you probably already know, I have a 18 month old cat, Nemo. He's like my child. :D Anyways. Next month we are moving and can get another cat. When we adopted Nemo he was a kitten at 6 weeks old, but he had upper respiratory problems then shoulder problems before we could take him home from the Humane Society. By the time we got him home, he was 17 weeks old. So we missed the whole kitten stage. If you have seen a pic of Nemo, he hasn't been the size of a kitten since 10 weeks. He's huge.

My question: Nemo is a very loving cat with other animals. He will lay with James' dog and lick her nose when we take him to his parents house. I'm not sure what to expect with introducing a new kitten. Ideaily we'd like to add the new cat when we move, but I don't know how tramatic that would be for Nemo, moving to a new home and adjusting to a new cat at the same time. But then I thought, maybe it will be easier that way because then they will both have to adjust together. With Nemo being 18 lbs and introducing a small kitten, I'm afraid of what could happen. Then again, Nemo could think that the kitten is stepping on his turf and cause problems.

Nemo's de-clawed in the front (landlord's rules for cats) and is missing a bottom fang and 2 small top teeth. Apparently it's genetic (long story, but like this isn't long enough already). The new cat will have to be de-clawed because of landlord rules but I want to wait a while before doing that (hopefully the landlord won't notice). Nemo is neutered and we plan to get another male and have him neutered.

Does anyone see any issues with introducing another male? What do you think would be the best time to introduce another cat? Should we be looking for another big cat or would it be ok to get a kitten?

I've never mixed cats like this before. I always had 1 mother who always got pregnant and then had like 8 kittens. From the get-go I wanted to get 2 kittens but the landlord only allowed 1 per apt. Now the new landlord said we could have as many as we wanted, as long as we don't hord them. I think 2 is enough.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I'm sure that Nemo was taken care of (reproductive wise) so pregnancy should not be an issue.

We had nibblet for 7 years and then we got Taz. Of course, their initial meeting didn't go well at the beginning. Nibblet lowered her ears and spine and didn't seem to appreciate the "invader". This lasted for about a month.

Since your Nemo puts up with the dog, I don't see any problems.

Nemo was actually spayed. His *don't know if it is appropriate for a family forum* wouldn't drop. He kept pulling them up everytime they tried to neuter him. The only way that I could take him home from the Humane society was if he was fixed. I couldn't stand going and visiting him every day and seeing him in a small metal cage. It's heartbreaking. So the vet had to cut him open and remove them. Apparently it's not all that uncommon in male cats. She said that the older he gets, the less likely that they would drop. They would just grow inside of him.

So, no issues with reproducing. Especially since we would get a male. I don't want any issues with a female being in heat and attracting the other male neighbor cats.

He gets pretty mad when the neighbor cats come around and lay outside. He fluffs his fur and tail. But, he doesn't have any issues with James' moms cat. Her cat actually has issue with Nemo.

So when do you think would be a good time to introduce the new cat? After we move and Nemo gets settled? Or at the same time?

Well, you will probably have problems when you do move. When we did, we found it extremely difficult to get nibblet to come out of hiding (somehow she knew something was wrong...we moved all the furniture first).

I would wait until Nemo is settled in the new home. This should take about a month. Then bring the new guy in.

He's an odd character. When we go to James' house, he feels perfectly at home, even though they have a dog and cat. Then we go to my parents house, where they have no animals, and he freaks out. He will run from his carry cage to my parents bedroom and hide under the bed for hours. You can't get him out for anything. He won't sleep except for a few hours a night (never during the day), won't eat unless I sit with him with my back pressed against the door, and won't use the liter box the entire time. Then he howls all night long. Is there something wrong with him or is it just the house? There has only been 1 animal at that house since they built it in 1990 and that was a cat when I was 12 (10 years ago). Since the cat has left, all of the flooring has been replaced so the scent couldn't possibly still be there.

In my experience, it's always been a scent they detect that sends them into weird behavior, there's no way to know what scent he picks up at your parents house. The scent doesn't even have to be in the house, it could be outside.

Well that may be it. The neigbhors across the street (they live in the country) from my parents have like 20 dogs that are full of diseases and run wild. And the woods next to the house has horses in it. Maybe that could be it. Who knows, cats are odd little creatures. :D But still the most adorable.

I have had a lot of cats over the years, all from the Humane Society. I currently have 5. My advice, move first, then after a month or so, get another cat, BUT have another litter box, food & water dish set up in a separate room. Allow Nemo to sniff at the door, but do not let the new kitten out. Pay extra attention to Nemo and still play with the kitten. That way Nemo gets used to the smell of the new kitten. Keep that up for a few days at least. You can take toys and blankets etc and switch them back and forth between Nemo and the new cat so they both get used to the other's scent. You will be able to judge by Nemo's behavior when to try this next step. Allow Nemo and the cat to be together in a room, supervised obviously and allow them to get to know each other. Keep this up and in no time you will have 2 happy cats that will play together and keep each other company. I've had so many people tell me that 5 cats can't get along, well come to my house, I've disproved that theory. Cats do appreciate a buddy to play with. HTH.

When we moved to this house, we brought a new cat with us, along with the two that we had already. Each cat got their on room in the house for the first few days. The key is introducing the kitties slowly. Rufus, being the new guy, is probably the sweetest of the three. He loves everybody, but our oldest and smallest cat has never liked the other two. Your Nemo may surprise you with a gentle maternal instinct. :D When you do get the kitten, if you can give Nemo something the kitten has slept on to smell, so he is "introduced" this way, it may help a bit.

Great advice! Now that we will be moving into a house with doors (currently loft) it will be possible to seperate the two. I'm so excited because one of my co-workers has a week old kitten that is fluffy white with gray ears. He is adorable! And once he gets to about 7 weeks, she said we could take him home. I would go through the Humane society again, but Karen has been begging me to get a cat from her. PLUS, if complications arise (like with Nemo) and he can't be fixed when we want to take him home, he won't have to sit in a metal cage for weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom