Networking How-To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are telling me I need to set the other two on the desktop to Admin?
No. You need to have the laptop's user name on the desktop. It's best practice to only have as many Admin accounts as you need, and to only use it when doing admin tasks. This prevents malicious software or user error from affecting your computer.

Re network path not found

Verify NetBIOS is turned on:
Network Connections -> TCP/IP -> Properties -> Advanced -> WINS -> NetBIOS is on default or enable.

Verify Computer Browser Service is on:
Start -> run -> services.msc -> Computer Browser -> properties -> start and set to auto

Verify Server is on on the desktop. As above with "Server" replacing "Computer Browser"

Did you drag an admin user's folder to the Shared Documents folder or right click on a folder, choose properties, and ask for it to be shared on the network? I doubt this matters, but might.

Want screenshots?

No im not that dumb to need screenshots, lol.

I verified the Computer Browser and Server, both are on Auto.

Now, I looked under the connections I do have there (In Network Connections) and when I click on Advanced tabs for each one inside the Properties, I do not see a tab talking about NetBIOS or any checkbox of any kind.

Click on TCP/IP under the General tab, then properties, then advanced.

Only care about the arrow and and window on the right.

Attachments

• zacdl.jpg
    zacdl.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 20
I was lookin for a Advanced Tab, not button, lol.

Its on Default.

are you having a crappy connection?

if so most likely people are getting free internet off you

thats what people do, they buy wireless routers and take internet from you because your router isnt secure

You've followed previous instruction of same user name or turning guest account on the desktop on? Both computers are in the same workgroup?

Your laptop accesses the internet? Can you browse your laptop from the desktop? Do you know how to use ipconfig and ping each computer from cmd?

Whats doing the routing and DNS, the desktop or a wireless router? Best way to answer this may be to say whats connected to what, starting at the modem.

Is there a firewall running on the desktop?

What would turning the Guest Account on do? Why should I need to do that?

Yes they are in the same workgroup.

The laptop can access the internet.

I cannot browse the laptop from my desktop, thats not my goal. My goal is to be able to open and modify files that are on the desktop.

Yes I know how to use ipconfig and ping each computer from cmd.

As for your routing and DNS question, I dont know. I have never done networking before thats why I posted here for help :)
The internet (Phone line) plugs into the modem, which plugs into the router. From the router it takes a line to the desktop, and a wireless "line" to the laptop.

Yes there is a firewal on the desktop. Kerio Personal Firewall. Running the same Firewall on the laptop as well.

I have it set to ask me about things that want through the firewall. I choose yes or no. I have never seen anything about the router on there, so I am assuming it doesnt need through, or its is already allowed through.

It was the firewalls! I disabled both and then I can see all the files I need to see.

What were they blocking that I need to allow?

"What were they blocking that I need to allow?"

I have not used Kerio but see if you have some setting to allow traffic from the LAN (your local network) while firewalling the WAN (the internet). I understand Kerio to be a nice consumer product so would expect them to have some GUI interface for allowing Windows file and printer sharing over your local area network.

To answer your concerns:

"What would turning the Guest Account on do? Why should I need to do that?"

Was asking if you followed instruction on adding the same username on both boxes, which allows you to password protect shares as suggested earlier, or turning on the guest account, which is insecure but works.

"I cannot browse the laptop from my desktop, thats not my goal."
"Yes I know how to use ipconfig and ping each computer from cmd."

In the future, should you have connection problems, you should ping the router and to/from the problem computer, to verify everything sees everything else.

"I have never done networking before thats why I posted here for help Smile
The internet (Phone line) plugs into the modem, which plugs into the router. From the router it takes a line to the desktop, and a wireless "line" to the laptop."

Your wireless router is routing. I know of people who use internet conection sharing through Windows despite having a router, and this can cause issues -- "network path not found" is commonly a DNS issue.

HTH

Well as I said before its not the firewall on the laptop with the problems. I can have it turned on and see the shared files.

But what I do not know is which LAN to unblock. On the desktop firewall there are MANY listed, and none of them has the IP addy of the laptop or desktop. There is one that is close to both IPs but not exact on either.

Again, its the firewall on the desktop that you need to be concerned about.

You should only have one local area network, LAN, likely 192.168.1.x. Have you checked the Kerio manual? Screenshot the various configuration screens and post them up if you want.

And the desktops...

Attachments

• untitled_402.jpg
    untitled_402.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 21
Nevermind... I checked "Trusted" on ALL of those and it still didnt work.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom