Networking How-To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zacdl

OK guys I have never networked before but have a few questions.

I have this laptop, its on a wireless connection OK, but i dont know how to network it to the desktop to share files (and printer).

Any of you know how about to do this?

Thanks for the link Ill check it out and let you know how i do!

Well I tried it, shared 2 folders on the desktop, and they dont appear in shared things on the laptop.

What did I do wrong? I ran the wizard... on both computers. File and printer sharing is on.

I'll second FishFreek's comment about security. Mostly because it can't be stressed enough. Be sure to password protect your shares AND enable the security on your wireless router.

Its on 128 bit, pretty secure.

I just wanna know how to share the printer and files....

I have two PC's and a laptop networked. Since I'm not home to recall how it looks, I will just go from memory:

1. The main PC where the printer was installed should serve as the host. Make sure you enter the name of the host the same way when using the wizard.

2. The shared folders and Printer should be listed in the share folder.

I follwoed the Network Setup Wizard. It told me to run the Wireless Wizard, and the Network Setup Wizard on both.

I did. I shared two folders on the desktop, and cant see them in the laptop anywhere.....

I see the folder now, but it says Permission denied, Path Not found.

Ideas?

How would I change those? What do I need to change? I have a Linksys WRT54G

Thanks for the link, Aaron. I just got a laptop and I am struggling with setting up a wireless network as well. The router works great but I am still working on the network. The link helped.

All users?

The user that has the files I want to share has Admin priviledges.

Different user names on the laptop and desktop? Add your laptop's username with a password (recommended) or turn on guest accounts on the desktop.

128bit encryption isn't secure. A serious wireless net uses at least 1024bit encryption. There are people sniffing packets everywhere. Just saying. If anyone here is willing to run Linux, have an old computer and a couple network interface cards, likes DIY, and wants help, just ask.

Desktop has 3 UNs, Laptop has just one.

You are telling me I need to set the other two on the desktop to Admin?

The 3 user accounts on desktop are now set to admin and so is the one on the laptop.

Still same error. Here is the error pic.

img_457305_0_036a72f36e6f858ce52d26356e04ca87.jpg

Actually as I think about it I think that folder is this laptop's name. Not sure though, but I dont think the desktop has that long of name (I know of 2 possibilites the desktop could be and that isnt it)

So... Maybe its not wireless networking correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom