New 75gal problem- UPDATE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
Most of ya'll know about the great deal I got on the aquarium I purchased on ebay. Well, today my boyfriend and I drove 4 hours to Houston to pick it up... on arrival he tells me that he went to go get the box that had the light, cover, filter etc and he can't find it. Also, he can't locate the stand. He said he would give me $50 back (out of $150) for taking just the tank. I haggled at $100.. and he gave me back $75.
I'm so annoyed. He was a nice guy but he had more than a WEEK to locate the stuff... heck, he should have done it before he listed the aquarium for auction.

So now, I have to buy... you guessed it... stand, lights, filter etc for this massive tank I have now *sigh*

Anyone know any good online deals? I don't even know what kind of lights I need to get for a 75 and whats a good deal and whats not. Any help would be greatly appreciated (its a freshwater)

Also, if anyone has an old filter or lights or heater or anything they are willing to sell me at a decent price please let me know *whimper*

UPDATE--
So get this. The guy also sold a 55gal set up to someone else. I emailed that other person throo ebay asking if he got everything he was supposed to win on ebay. This was his responce to me-

"Yeah It was a shady deal and should have known it from the lack of pictures in his auction. He did not have the lights nor the glass top. The auction that I had won only came with the stand, tank, lights and glass hood. So two of the 4 were missing as well as a chipped (not leaking) tank and a stand that I had to reinforce because of the missing lateral support 1x3’s. My tank and stand are mismatched colors as well. But he did offer to give me 20 bucks to offset the missing glass and lights, which hardly pays for the missing pieces new. Wouldn’t do business with him again and will write up some negative response in the future.

Sorry to hear about the bum deal"

So now im wondering if he knew about not having the lights BEFORE i drove out there and just decided not to tell me about it. UGH. Of all the worse case scenerios I came up with, I didn't think it would be something like this. I thought if we showed up and he didn't, then it would just be a wasted trip and I would get my money back. I thought if I hated the set up, I could turn around and sell it back on ebay WITH pictures and possibly make the money back. I never thought he would have half of the stuff and would leave me to spend another $300+ to get it set up.

Anyone know anybody who breaks legs in the Houston area :wink:

I hope the tank is in really good condition because you can get them new for not much more than that. Sorry to hear about that, I would give him bad ratings on ebay.

Oh, lyquidphyre, you were so excited about that tank! You got a bad deal--that seller deserves negative feedback :evil:

It's a REALLY nice glass tank and the undergravel filter was in it. Its going to be a freshwater, non planted tank with all sorts of fish.

How do you lose a stand? I dunno.. ask this guy hehe

It's not like he was hurting for money.. we pulled up to this really NICE new house and the guy pulled up in either a BMW or Mercedes (can't remember)

Things happen for a reason... so I can except this happening with out getting outraged.

Like i said.. if anyone knows of any good deals or has any ideas of what I should do let me know =o)

Not to be rude..

But you got ripped off.

I've seen 75gals around me cheaper brand new, than what you got yours for used.

I would not have taken it if I were you, and would have reported him to ebay for misrepresenting the items for sale. Because its rather hard to " Loose " a stand and light equipment.

Its just a shame you didn't post thsi before you went to get it, Now your stuck having to pay hundreds more..

Well I honestly didn't want to leave empty handed.. that is prolly the only reason why I didn't say anything and got my money back..

I didn't know he didn't have the stand or lights until we got there. If he had told me about it before hand, I wouldn't have left for Houston. Im going to email him.. not sure what im going to say.. but im going to email him something hehe

pay some mobsters to burn his house down and then the stand will show up somewhere > 8 (

The 2 Petsmarts in my area have some filter (I don't remember for sure but I think it was a Tetratech) on sale for almost half price. The largest was a 500gph one and I think it was around $40 or something. It might be a nationwide petsmart thing so I thought I might mention it.

If you or your boyfriend are handy with tools I would DIY stand for sure, maybe even the lighting. Sorry about the bad news. He for sure should have taken off $100, that's ridiculous. Bait and Switch!!!

His garage was EMPTY.. oh, except for his mercedes *snarl*
The lights I could *maybe* understand misplacing them with bunches of boxes.. but a stand??

Thanks poppab02 I will look into that =o)

this is the email I am sending-

Hi, I purchased the 75gal aquarium from you this past weekend. I was wondering if there is any way you can find the misplaced box of lights for the tank. After looking at the prices of stands, lights, and filters I am not too thrilled about the deal that was made. It is going to cost me $100 for the lighting and close to $200 for a stand. Both of which I technically won on your ebay auction. I never would have bid on the auction if I had known I would spend $75 (plus $40 for gas) for just the tank. I bidded in confidence that I was purchasing a tank, stand, lights and filter. Why were the items not located before the auction was created? Why were the items not located during the two week time span after the auction ended and before I drove to Houston to pick them up? I just feel very ripped off (unintentional or not). If you can find the lights, filter and whatever else I was supposed to win (minus the stand) maybe we can make an arrangement for you to ship them to me. Please get back to me about finding the lights.

Thank you for your time,
Katy

Nice.. I think you could add a little more venom in there :twisted:

Did you leave the appropriate feedback for him on ebay?

If you want new filters, bigalsonline has the emperor 400's on sale for $37 (I think), which isn't too bad. I know if the lfs's I have around here they're more than twice the price.

:wink: Maybe he forgot which house he left in in...... 8O

hmmm....was it at my house in Vegas...no, no....maybe in Maui......no, no, maybe my house in Aspen.............. :D

Boy I really dislike people like him.
You are right he should have had all the stuff together before the action.
How can you advertise something for sale when you dont even have it... :evil: ?

I agree on the DIY stand if you or someone you know has the skills.
It's not really that hard.
I just made one for my 180gal and it turned out great.
Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom