new animal planet show = tanked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love hillbilly handfishin! Lol I'm from southeast Arkansas and I grew up noodling there's nothing like it :)

Heck I even take live broadcast with a grain of salt, because it is whomever is tasked with producing a show's decision on what is shown how its shown and what comentary is revealed with it.
Saying that, I really like the show Tanked, its fun entertainment about a hobby that is near a dear to MY heart.

Here's a link to an interview that Mark Callahan did with Brett Raymer from the show:

Mr. Saltwater Tank Interviews Brett Raymer, Star of Animal Planet’s “Tanked”

I'm at work and the connection is slow, so I haven't been able to watch it yet.
GREAT interview. Everything I have seen of these guys that isn't filtered through Animal Planet shows ATM to be upstanding, passionate, and down-to-earth. I like how he said they have a product to help cycling and he didn't like how AP made it look like they poured hose water straight into the tanks. :) To me, that just goes to show what many of us here have been saying, that it is TV and edited and you shouldn't jump to too many conclusions.
Thanks fo rthe link.:flowers:

Here's a link to an interview that Mark Callahan did with Brett Raymer from the show:

Mr. Saltwater Tank Interviews Brett Raymer, Star of Animal Planet’s “Tanked”

I'm at work and the connection is slow, so I haven't been able to watch it yet.

That is a great interview. It clears up a lot of the questions and complaints about the show. It also managed to make Brett look like less of a joke. He was even kind of likable. If you don't want to watch it, it comes down to they have no creative control over the show. They see the show when we do and they aren't always happy with it. Also they would like some things to be changed, but the only way that will ever happen is if we email or write to Animal Planet. It is Animal Planet that decides what goes on the air and what doesn't, which doesn't surprise me at all.
There is a lot of other good stuff in the interview, but basically it says that it's Animal Plants show and they do with it what they want. But somethings will be changing in the second season, for the better. I for one will stay tuned to see where this goes.
One really good point Brett made is "If you want education, go to the library or internet to learn. That's what they are there for. Television is for entertainment".
This is very true, with a few minor exceptions like The Learning & The Discovery Channels. When most of us watch TV, it is at the end of a long day, when we are on the verge of exhaustion. We aren't watching it to learn we watch it to unwind and be entertained.

Paying people to do everything for you takes away the whole idea of keeping fish

Ralphie126 said:
Paying people to do everything for you takes away the whole idea of keeping fish

Not necessarily, it's just that their clients have huge tanks and are busy for about half their day I'm guessing and don't really have time to maintain that big of a tank. Paying someone to do clean the tank for you is the equivalent of a high school hiring a janitor to clean, they're too busy to do it themselves.

its an interesting show but it doesnt show the details in maintaining a healthy marine tank. it shows the potential of marine tanks, not the price, the labor, or the science behind keeping a tank alive and thriving. so alotta noobs are gonna start the hobby and throw hundreds of dollars towards a new tank with fish that should be handled by experts only, like a unicorn tang(just and example) being put into a brand new setup. not gonna work out so great.
long story short, in small towns like mine if ppl catch onto the show, supply and demand are gonna sky rocket prices for reef enthusiasts like me, when the noobs arent gonna stay in the hobby

We all start out as noobs at some point but anyway it the show not the people involved look at the interview posted above it's not their choice it's animal planet

i know we're all noobs in the beginning, but i did a bunch of research probably starting a year before i started the hobby, an of course i still made rookie mistakes. even after a year of research and studying, and started out small, 29 gallon, two damsels, two astrea snails, and 2 red legged hermits. acceptable, but the show is gonna attract the tank dabblers who dont wanna read and understand equipment, the livestock, the whole hobby to say the least. well enough said, i jus think they went about the show all wrong

But that would be a whole different show this is not about the education side it's about amazing tanks I still say it's up to the individual to do there research

And it will still attract people who will stick with the hobby

Any how I love the show and enjoy the cast just remember it's an entertainment show not educational

good point, good point. i suppose if the right ppl wanted in the hobby they would choose to do research. but i think they should put at least a LITTLE education in thurr, instead of hey brand new tank, dump 30 fish in it, and itll work.

kylekody said:
good point, good point. i suppose if the right ppl wanted in the hobby they would choose to do research. but i think they should put at least a LITTLE education in thurr, instead of hey brand new tank, dump 30 fish in it, and itll work.

I can agree with that and so does Brett he doesn't like how the show is edited either

There are still educational components, they just aren't as plentiful as some people would like them to be. But, they did talk about quarantine, acclimation, pH, proper tankmates, reef-friendly fish, stocking to avoid aggression, and mentioned sustainably collected fish.
I agree that more things could be discussed, but I have been surprised at how much info was presented in a show that was advertised to be about BUILDING tanks, not maintaining tanks.
The Brett interview is really great. He also thinks the show should have more of an educational aspect.

I really like the show. For sure there's something happening behind the scenes that they don't show. Otherwise, all of their clients will be unhappy because their fish are dying.

Several posts back, there is an interview with Brett. He agrees with everything that's been said about the show, but they have NO creative control over what Animal Planet puts on the air. So what he's trying to do is to just get people excited about the hobby again, young and old alike. That requires more glitz than substance.
There are always going to be people that don't do any research before they start the hobby. Just like there are always going to be uneducated FS employees spreading dangerous advice. And both those types of people will be forever finding each other. "Tanked" can't change that, no matter what their format is in regard to information/education.
All we can do is our best to help each other make wise & safe choices for our fish. Here on AA and other fish forums.

I definitely agree with Wendi too! And I thought it was really cool how Brett talked about how the 2nd season would be more informative and educational, explaining more about how they cycle tanks and everything.

I also thought it was interesting how he said he knows what hobbyists have been saying bout the show but their legally not allowed to respond on these forums and such.. It has to be so frustrating knowing that people have been getting the wrong idea about how they are setting up tanks and not being able to defend themselves and their reputation. But I guess the fact is that it's impossible to please everyone!

I can't remember who posted the video but thank you for sharing that!! I know for me it answered a lot a question marks.

Back
Top Bottom