new animal planet show = tanked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, Cichlidlife, Reiner & Alfredoman. I appreciate the back up and the compliment.

I also agree with you about the video clearing up a lot of questions. Like the fact that Animal Planet makes it look like they are filling their tanks up with tap water. When in truth, they are filling it up with already cycled and balanced Saltwater from a barrel.
It really makes you wonder how may other things on "Tanked" that Animal Planet is misrepresenting.
There were things that I liked about the show before I saw the interview. Now that I've seen the interview, I have a little more respect for the show and the cast and a little less respect for Animal Planet.

It's nice to see things finally cleared up.. And that many people were correct about not knowing exactly what goes on behind the scenes. Most should have known from the get go though seeing how all TV is like that.

I'm more interested in their product that is supposed to hit shelves though.

Better watch what ya say though. Brett is watchin us.. haha.

ChristinaE12 said:
It's nice to see things finally cleared up.. And that many people were correct about not knowing exactly what goes on behind the scenes. Most should have known from the get go though seeing how all TV is like that.

I'm more interested in their product that is supposed to hit shelves though.

Better watch what ya say though. Brett is watchin us.. haha.

I was thinking about that, what if Brett was on AA? If you are here Brett, confess!!

Hey all. I haven't been on the site for a few years now, I used to have a couple nice tanks and spent years maintaining them - I'm not new to the hobby in any way.

This show got me so worked up my girlfriend had to leave the room.

Fine - so I've heard they're using already-cycled water (which personally I don't think is enough since you need LR, which I didn't see, and the nitrobacter living in the entire system, not just the water), but everything else I saw made me cringe.

The shoe going into the tank? Ugh.

The guy putting on a swimsuit and diving in? That was just stupid.

The tank with about 30 yellow tangs? Horrible husbandry.

Worrying about the water being too warm, that it might be bad for the fish? Fish shouldn't be going in a tank you just filled up anyway.

I could go on and on - but even considering the things people are saying in defense of this business (ie., how Animal Planet retains creative control and the presentation), there were a LOT of other serious problems with how they handled the livestock and the tanks.

It's also teaching extremely poor practices which are going to lead people new to the hobby into thinking they can be up and running in an evening, rather than weeks (or months). That's ironic considering the guy interviewed said he's doing it to introduce new people to the hobby.

Sorry. My two cents.

I think everybody should just take it easy these guys are building huge tanks left and right 10x bigger and more expensive then any of us have, I really doubt they charge so much for nothing these are experts and it's a tv show they would bore some ppl to death explaining how much salt and how you should wait for the tank to cycle blah blah blah i just wanna see fish and tanks if I wanna learn how to take care of fish I'll post it here lol.

Sharkbait54 said:
I think everybody should just take it easy these guys are building huge tanks left and right 10x bigger and more expensive then any of us have, I really doubt they charge so much for nothing these are experts and it's a tv show they would bore some ppl to death explaining how much salt and how you should wait for the tank to cycle blah blah blah i just wanna see fish and tanks if I wanna learn how to take care of fish I'll post it here lol.

Very well said and obviously you dont need live rock you can supplement what it offers if the show went on about everything involved in maintaining a tank you would enjoy it for 1-2 episodes max and it would be off the air from lack of audience

The show will go into more detail next season this season is to grab everyone's attention

It is off season, but it is comming back in Spring 2012 with projects that are even better than the ones they did this year (at least that is what they said).:)

Tanked

So Animal Planet had this great show called tanked on for a few weeks and then it seems like the series ended. every friday i looked forward to watching this because i found it interesting and very informative. i can honestly say i learned alot about keeping aquariums and what not. so i was wondering if anyone else watched the show and if so do you know why it is no longer showed

You should use the search feature on this site to find our other topics about this show. Lots of opinions.
You should read the threads, your question is answered on there, but I will just say real quick that the show had a short frist season that is now done. A second season will happen, but I don't remember for sure when.

The first season ended. I do believe it was picked up for a second season...but I have no idea when it will air.

There's already a couple different threads about this show in the Lounge. If you check in there there's lots of discussion and debate about it.

Back
Top Bottom