Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #141
Aquarium Advice Addict

I watched the show with the beer keg tank too. And the original design was the size of a Keg. Wayde decided that it was way to small, so they made a mold from a larger wine barrel and the tank ended up approx. 89g. Which is a good size for a lot of (not all) African Cichlids.
A Short long tank is best for African Cichlids, but fish are adaptable. Not that they should have to be, but they can. Also inside the ugly fake coral were a bunch of holes going through it that could be used for hiding, similar to a rock wall.
There are people that have all male Malawi tanks. It's done in order to not have to deal with the enormous amount of fry that African Cichlids produce. You can read the article below to find out the how to's and why's of it all.

All-Male Malawi Tank

The Kegger fish tank isn't the ideal or natural tank that would be preferable, but that's not what the show is about. It's about the unique, one of a kind tanks to fit any human's requirements.
How well any of the fish do in these elaborate & unique tanks we'll never know, unless we build a few of our own as an experiment. Which would be a bit to costly.
And they may only have that many fish in the tank for the show, we don't now. After the filming is done they may remove some for the health of the fish. A tank that is really full of beautiful, bright colored fish films better than a few fish that immediately go into hiding.
There is so much that we don't see that goes on. All we saw was them filling the tank up with water from a garden hose, no de-chlorinater or water conditioner of any kind. No heating of the water, basic stuff we all know they have to do or all the fish will be dead within 48 hrs.
The people buying these elaborate tank don't know anything about fish but the tank builders do. And if you watch them at the fish warehouses when they are buying fish, it obvious that they really love fish and know a lot about them. But they still have do do what looks good for the camera first. Then when the cameras are gone, I'm sure they put things right for the fish.
If they were killing the fish they never would have been able to build up the kind of business they have.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #142
Aquarium Advice Freak

Valid point... I guess it makes sense to do that for tv.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #143
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendiDell
I watched the show with the beer keg tank too. And the original design was the size of a Keg. Wayde decided that it was way to small, so they made a mold from a larger wine barrel and the tank ended up approx. 89g. Which is a good size for a lot of (not all) African Cichlids.
A Short long tank is best for African Cichlids, but fish are adaptable. Not that they should have to be, but they can. Also inside the ugly fake coral were a bunch of holes going through it that could be used for hiding, similar to a rock wall.
There are people that have all male Malawi tanks. It's done in order to not have to deal with the enormous amount of fry that African Cichlids produce. You can read the article below to find out the how to's and why's of it all.

All-Male Malawi Tank

The Kegger fish tank isn't the ideal or natural tank that would be preferable, but that's not what the show is about. It's about the unique, one of a kind tanks to fit any human's requirements.
How well any of the fish do in these elaborate & unique tanks we'll never know, unless we build a few of our own as an experiment. Which would be a bit to costly.
And they may only have that many fish in the tank for the show, we don't now. After the filming is done they may remove some for the health of the fish. A tank that is really full of beautiful, bright colored fish films better than a few fish that immediately go into hiding.
There is so much that we don't see that goes on. All we saw was them filling the tank up with water from a garden hose, no de-chlorinater or water conditioner of any kind. No heating of the water, basic stuff we all know they have to do or all the fish will be dead within 48 hrs.
The people buying these elaborate tank don't know anything about fish but the tank builders do. And if you watch them at the fish warehouses when they are buying fish, it obvious that they really love fish and know a lot about them. But they still have do do what looks good for the camera first. Then when the cameras are gone, I'm sure they put things right for the fish.
If they were killing the fish they never would have been able to build up the kind of business they have.
Well said Wendi flash and dash behind tge scenes I am sure it's a different story
Old 09-09-2011, 04:02 AM   #144
Aquarium Advice Addict

I watched a couple episodes of this show with my boyfriend tonight and honestly, I couldn't handle it. They are making fish keeping look too glamorous and I have a feeling that lots of people are going to start a fish tank due to this show. On their Animal Planet/Discovery Channel website, there is a link to go to "proper fish care" which has crap about not putting too many fish in the tank while cycling and all the other pitfalls.

This show just seems irresponsible. Throwing sensitive fish into a brand new tank, even if it is seeded and all that, there is still at least a mini cycle. And they use dechlorinated tap water for saltwater tanks! That's a no-no.

I got pretty upset at these guys. Yea, they make some awesome tanks and it's super pretty, but fish are more than a decoration piece, they are pets. Not bothering with this show again...
Old 09-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #145
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Research is always up to the individual
Old 09-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #146

This show is definitely not about teaching responsible fishkeeping. It is a view into the entertaining fraction of aquarium setup (with some very out of the norm clients).

It is entertaining, but not much more.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice Freak

But considering how stupid people are it's also irresponsible to put on a show like this. I mean if discovery channel makes a show about heroin being healthy people will start shooting up tomorrow.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #148
Aquarium Advice Addict

people over react lol. its american chopper made over! these guys know what they are doing. they are one of the biggest acrylic aquarium desingers out there. they have made tanks for customers as far away as i know in europe and the house was designed around the tank too. it was 40 feet tall. if we are gonna argue how they do it and bash them. why doesnt someone shoot them a email asking how they do it? they are doing it to show what the tanks can look like. most people in the aquarium trade probably do only know what petsmart tells them. ever think this could open their eyes to see theres more to the hobby? i for one have my theory of how they are cycling their tanks. and its something not avabile for sell and yes it is a chemical.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #149
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand they are one of the best for aquarium building, but they were making their own mistakes and then have sitting right next to their online clips, wrong information, just like the chain stores provide. If they were legit, would they push the correct information? It's not like any normal person can even afford them, so they aren't losing our business.

And it is very much staged and for entertainment. Like the wife just had to go into that shark tank to fix the huge ornament pieces? No, she didn't. All they needed was a ladder and a pole to push it around(which they had).

Oh well. I'm sticking to Jeremy Wade. He's a fox.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice Regular

Watched this show with high hopes - pretty much awful reality TV - could not even watch the whole first episode - these guys are either morons or the producers have them act like morons. Everything about this show is tacky - not just the fake coral.

Tags
fish, tan, television

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com