Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well everyone is gonna have their opinion but don't you think they wouldn't have made it this far if all the fish died wouldn't be good for business there is WAY more behind the scenes just take it as a fun show to watch don't take it so seriously they have shows about reptiles and other exotics but nothing about the care it entertainment people and if your not entertained don't watch

Old 09-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #152
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle View Post
Well everyone is gonna have their opinion but don't you think they wouldn't have made it this far if all the fish died wouldn't be good for business there is WAY more behind the scenes just take it as a fun show to watch don't take it so seriously they have shows about reptiles and other exotics but nothing about the care it entertainment people and if your not entertained don't watch
I agree. If all the fish just died the next day, these guys would not be in business. Just my opinion, but I also don't think the show is irresponsible. Yes, people can be stupid, but it is not the responsibilty of every single show in existence to educate them in every aspect. They discussed quarantine tanks and acclimation and finding proper tankmates. They even mentioned that the yellow tangs at the fish place were sustainably collected! Is it perfect? No. So what. Again, just my opinion. I can understand if people do not like the characters or all the fake coral and stuff though.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #153
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
I understand they are one of the best for aquarium building, but they were making their own mistakes and then have sitting right next to their online clips, wrong information, just like the chain stores provide. If they were legit, would they push the correct information? It's not like any normal person can even afford them, so they aren't losing our business.
Do they determine what goes on the website no. And you actually can afford them out here in knoxville tn I think there's about 5-6 tanks from them.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #154
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with nemo, they are a legitimate company. They have their own website, which they do control what goes on, the animal planet website they don't. You may think you can't afford one of true aquariums, but have you actually looked online to see the prices? They only show the biggest and coolest aquariums on the show, however they do adverse to a much wider class than just the upper class. If you wanna get on the show, sure you'll probably have to buy a really big and elegant aquarium. However, not all their tanks are like that.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:22 AM   #155
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is so much that we don't see that goes on. All we saw was them filling the tank up with water from a garden hose, no de-chlorinater or water conditioner of any kind. No heating of the water, basic stuff we all know they have to do or all the fish will be dead within 48 hrs.
The people buying these elaborate tanks don't know anything about fish but the tank builders do. And if you watch them at the fish warehouses when they are buying fish, it's obvious that they really love fish and know a lot about them. But they still have do do what looks good for the camera first. Then when the cameras are gone, I'm sure they put things right for the fish.
If they were killing the fish they never would have been able to build up the kind of business that they have.
TV is part of the entertainment industry, if they had to worry about every stupid thing someone may or may not do, nothing would ever be filmed. Every show shouldn't have to post a " DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME" because some people don't fully examine something before they jump into it.
Speaking of jumping into fish keeping, how many of us started out that way but found our way to AA for the health of our fish? In a perfect world everyone would realize that there is more to know than what little we see on TV.
Tanked is for entertainment only, not educational purposes.
I find the tanks & the fish to be interesting, but the cast annoy the heck out of me. I know zip about SW tanks and although I find them to be incredibly beautiful, I have no desire to run out and start one. I know it's beyond my knowledge to have a SW tank and most people that tune into the show will know that too. Of coarse there will always be a few people that don't think first, but you can't revolve the world around them. We have to move on in spite of them.
Either way, no matter how you feel about the show, you've got to love what the show did for the 3 year old little boy that is facing another, in a long line of open heart surgeries. It looked like something out of a fairy tale, it was really special. For anyone that missed it, the show was called "Good Karma".
Old 09-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #156
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't know why I haven't thought of it before and maybe I'm wrong, but what if they bring their own tank of saltwater to the buildsite? I've seen companies do that before.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #157
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nicely said wendy wow!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #158
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nicely said Wendi! Couldn't agree more myself. Yes I agree that the show and it's characters are very hard to watch, but this is all about the tanks, NOT the fish. People want to see elaborate tanks come to life. And that's all that really matters.

For example, did any of you see last night's episode? I was really surprised how the tank they made for a three year-old boy who had open heart surgery turned out. It was a beautiful ship tank with a bed beneath it and a looking hole above the bed so he can see in the tank while be recovers. I thought that was really sweet.

Also, if anyone saw that episode you would've also seen the Feng Shui tank and realize that these guys know what they're talking about. The Feng Shui tank IMO was their best so far, I loved the concept and the way it turned out was SPECTACULAR, I couldn't believe it. It was like one harmonium of balanced, peaceful aquatic life and I wish they had showed more footage of it. Also they did talk about refigiums, flow, and high lighting for all the corals so I'm pretty sure they're knowledgeable on fish.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #159
AA Team Emeritus

I watched most of last nights episode... missed the Feng Shui reveal but saw the boat tank for the 3 year old. Made the wifey cry!

I think everyone should just relax and enjoy the show, IMHO.

I'd love to take a tour of that wholesaler they always visit.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #160
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ikr id sooooo like to see the wholesaler thwy buy from its cool!

Tags
fish, tan, television

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com