Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #181
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a link to an interview that Mark Callahan did with Brett Raymer from the show:

Mr. Saltwater Tank Interviews Brett Raymer, Star of Animal Planet’s “Tanked”

I'm at work and the connection is slow, so I haven't been able to watch it yet.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #182
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag
Here's a link to an interview that Mark Callahan did with Brett Raymer from the show:

I just watched it a minute ago.In the interview a lot is explained and questions answered.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #183
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I love hillbilly handfishin! Lol I'm from southeast Arkansas and I grew up noodling there's nothing like it
Old 09-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #184
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Heck I even take live broadcast with a grain of salt, because it is whomever is tasked with producing a show's decision on what is shown how its shown and what comentary is revealed with it.
Saying that, I really like the show Tanked, its fun entertainment about a hobby that is near a dear to MY heart.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #185
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post

Mr. Saltwater Tank Interviews Brett Raymer, Star of Animal Planetís ďTankedĒ

GREAT interview. Everything I have seen of these guys that isn't filtered through Animal Planet shows ATM to be upstanding, passionate, and down-to-earth. I like how he said they have a product to help cycling and he didn't like how AP made it look like they poured hose water straight into the tanks. To me, that just goes to show what many of us here have been saying, that it is TV and edited and you shouldn't jump to too many conclusions.
Thanks fo rthe link.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #186
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post

That is a great interview. It clears up a lot of the questions and complaints about the show. It also managed to make Brett look like less of a joke. He was even kind of likable. If you don't want to watch it, it comes down to they have no creative control over the show. They see the show when we do and they aren't always happy with it. Also they would like some things to be changed, but the only way that will ever happen is if we email or write to Animal Planet. It is Animal Planet that decides what goes on the air and what doesn't, which doesn't surprise me at all.
There is a lot of other good stuff in the interview, but basically it says that it's Animal Plants show and they do with it what they want. But somethings will be changing in the second season, for the better. I for one will stay tuned to see where this goes.
One really good point Brett made is "If you want education, go to the library or internet to learn. That's what they are there for. Television is for entertainment".
This is very true, with a few minor exceptions like The Learning & The Discovery Channels. When most of us watch TV, it is at the end of a long day, when we are on the verge of exhaustion. We aren't watching it to learn we watch it to unwind and be entertained.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #187
Aquarium Advice Freak

Paying people to do everything for you takes away the whole idea of keeping fish
Old 09-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #188
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphie126
Paying people to do everything for you takes away the whole idea of keeping fish
Not necessarily, it's just that their clients have huge tanks and are busy for about half their day I'm guessing and don't really have time to maintain that big of a tank. Paying someone to do clean the tank for you is the equivalent of a high school hiring a janitor to clean, they're too busy to do it themselves.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #189
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Ultimately... That kind of sums up what I have said all along... I hate to say it... But ultimately, I told you so

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #190
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

its an interesting show but it doesnt show the details in maintaining a healthy marine tank. it shows the potential of marine tanks, not the price, the labor, or the science behind keeping a tank alive and thriving. so alotta noobs are gonna start the hobby and throw hundreds of dollars towards a new tank with fish that should be handled by experts only, like a unicorn tang(just and example) being put into a brand new setup. not gonna work out so great.
long story short, in small towns like mine if ppl catch onto the show, supply and demand are gonna sky rocket prices for reef enthusiasts like me, when the noobs arent gonna stay in the hobby

Tags
fish, tan, television

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com