Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #231
Aquarium Advice Freak
Pre-cycled water ..... I like that one! Lol

davePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #232
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Originally Posted by davePM View Post
Pre-cycled water ..... I like that one! Lol
Is that not the right word? Oops!

iheartpuffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #233
Aquarium Advice Addict
IDK about you guy's but watching and waiting for my own tanks to cycle was excruciating. The idea of watching an entertainment show of someone else's tank cycling sounds masochistic to me.

It's the glitz that get's new people interested in fish, not the hard work. Friends that have started keeping fish after seeing my tanks are surprised at the amount of work it takes in the beginning. Even though I tell them about it before they ever buy anything. If "Tanked" showed all the early drudgery of start up, no one would even try to keep fish and a show about the hard work would never have made it on the air.

Has anyone here visited the "Tanked" website? It's suppose to have a lot of the behind the scenes stuff that gets list on the show. I haven't had the time,so I was just wondering if anyone else had.

I only have FW tanks, mainly due to cost, but also from fear of what is needed in the start and upkeep of a SW tank. But I really enjoy seeing all the different types of SW fish. Most of which are way to large to keep in the average home aquarium.

We just need to remember that when it comes to "Hollywood" and "Television" nothing is as it seems. Even on the channels like AP
WendiDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #234
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Originally Posted by iheartpuffers
@Ryan-Peddle I work on the production of the show

@Desastre the do cycle and get the temperature just right before putting it into the tank. On the show it looks like they're just putting tap water in but in reality it is pre-cycled water coming from another container. Because so much goes into the making of a tank and installation, a lot gets left on the cutting room floor because 1) there's not enough time to show it all and 2) it can get really technical, which is (sadly) lost on a lot of people.
In terms of maintenance, ATM offers their services once they've installed the tanks since most people aren't equipped to maintain such large scale or intricate tanks. We do extensive interviews beforehand to make sure that people are committed to maintaining the tanks and have the right motivation for getting a tank.
Awesome well I love the show and the cast and there are a few of us in this thread that understand editing and knew from the beginning that's why the more boring stuff got left out but I am looking forward to the next season it's an excellent show
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my aquarium gear for what I "SAID" I paid for it.
barterking85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #235
Aquarium Advice FINatic
+1 to the post above, I think a lot of posters don't realise that there's a lot behind the scenes, and the guys are professionals dealing with tanks worth tens of thousands so would do all the necessary to make sure the tank will work well for the fish and the client respectively.

The last thing these guys want is tanks of dead/dying fish. They have got to where they are through expertise.

I love all the tanks made on the show as they never fail to impress and encourage all of us fish owners to dream big. The show is great and in glad it has another season.
Nomadu571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #236
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have always wanted to have a fish tank that spans into different rooms but the catch is somehow in the floor.
Therefore when you look down, you can see the fish just swimming underneath ya and you have the sensation of walking on water. Dreamt about this as a little kid and have always thought about making it happen, if I was super duper rich. Lol. I would employ ATM to make the whole basement a fish tank and acrylic or something for flooring for first floor. Don't know how it would work but I'm sure if there is a will and lots of money there is a way. Im sure it has already been accomplished in some capacity.

Tv is mostly entertainment. IMO people use the web, books, and other people's opinions for research, work, and the like and want to watch tv for entertainment. Not something that is gonna bore them and make them think to hard. Idk I don't watch much of it because it doesn't really teach me much and I have no time. Would rather go online and read and learn something new. I watch this because it is a hobby of mine and it is neat to see tanks and fish specimens that you would not normally see. Plus I might pick up a tip here or there but I'm watching it for entertainment not really trying to learn anything from it just enjoyment and for the love of the hobby.

Also hello and nice to have someone that is involved with the show. I like it a lot and think you all do amazing work. Hopefully Puffers you can give us some inside info on the show when you have some lol I know you can't I'm kidding.
57G. Rimless. 55G. FW: Community. 29G. Planted: Community. Fluval Flora and 10G. QT/HT
Rozdab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #237
Aquarium Advice Freak
Season 2 of Tanked

Season 2 of Tanked starts April 14th !!!!!!
"Gold is where you find it"
Uncle Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #238
Aquarium Advice FINatic
And river monsters is gonna start sometime too
Fishandmusic81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #239
Aquarium Advice Freak
i love tanked it makes me sooo happy to see custom tanks even tho i don't own any...i've missed quite a lot of eps from tanked, does anyone know a site where i can see all of em?
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional :3
JokerWx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #240
Aquarium Advice Freak
Try Hulu on the web......

"Gold is where you find it"
Uncle Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote

fish, tan, television

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com