new animal planet show = tanked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zparticle said:
There is a new show starting next Wednesday I think, called tanked. All about extreme auariums.

Oh no, I don't have animal planet now I'll be driving to my grandmas and stealing her tv for an hour every week lol, I swear she was watching the other day there was a show on her tv that was showing public aquariums

Oh no, I don't have animal planet now I'll be driving to my grandmas and stealing her tv for an hour every week lol, I swear she was watching the other day there was a show on her tv that was showing public aquariums

On the 19th it will be for 2 hours. They are having 2 shows back to back.

This show sounds cool, but I really wish that there was a show that got more into the hobby? Yenno? I'm a FW girl myself and I know there's probably not going to be many FW builds due to the fact that SW is flashier. It would be nice to have a show like "cats 101" but with fish instead. I mean I've seen about a million shows on TV that go into depth about cats, dogs, and small animals, but never fish. Or if pets.tv does something on fish they go through basic equipment and cycling then throw goldfish in a ten gallon (shudders). I think it'd be cool to have an aquascape designer contest or something like that.

This show sounds cool, but I really wish that there was a show that got more into the hobby? Yenno? I'm a FW girl myself and I know there's probably not going to be many FW builds due to the fact that SW is flashier. It would be nice to have a show like "cats 101" but with fish instead. I mean I've seen about a million shows on TV that go into depth about cats, dogs, and small animals, but never fish. Or if pets.tv does something on fish they go through basic equipment and cycling then throw goldfish in a ten gallon (shudders). I think it'd be cool to have an aquascape designer contest or something like that.

That is because most people view fish as food or stupid dispensable animals. Not as intelligent, worthy pets. That couldn't be farther from the truth. :nono:

Also, it takes immense knowledge to do this hobby the right way. Anyone can have a cat/dog. I like to think people into fish keeping have a higher than average intelligence.

You mean the BROOM handle "Shark Sticks"?

For those of you that were worried about the show not mentioning things like cycling or other proper fish keeping procedures, you'll be happy to hear that the second tanked show will be in part, about building a QT.
I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised to see the OT build on the explanation about the next show. Who knows, they may do a small part of the show on the proper cycling of a tank.

Yes that is why it is funny to me. She had no idea it was just a plain old broom handle.:fish2:

Tarkus2112 said:
That is because most people view fish as food or stupid dispensable animals. Not as intelligent, worthy pets. That couldn't be farther from the truth. :nono:

Also, it takes immense knowledge to do this hobby the right way. Anyone can have a cat/dog. I like to think people into fish keeping have a higher than average intelligence.

You've got a really good point. My family can't even grasp that my fish have personalities and aren't just "living ornaments" in my tanks. As for the intelligence level being higher, that makes total sense. When you get a cat or dog you usually already have a sense of the basic care needed for that animal. With fish you "think" you know what you're going to need but when you really start to get into it and do your research there's a lot you need to learn before you even buy a tank. Between water parameters, decor, and compatibility of the fish you are looking to put in your tank, that's a lot to process and remember. If you're not that intelligent there's no way that you're going to be successful.

What gets me is every single person that has seen my tank loves it..but when we start talking about the fish they are absolutely intrigued. I don't know how our hobby is so obscured

huma-huma said:
What gets me is every single person that has seen my tank loves it..but when we start talking about the fish they are absolutely intrigued. I don't know how our hobby is so obscured

I been wondering this too, on the south shore of nova scotia it's terrible I swear you could keep count of how many aquariums are kept around here, I think may be lack of resources but the Internet is helping tremendously to bring it in style, I hope so anyways could get an aquarium club started. It feels like a big part of life being surrounded by aquariums but then you talk to people and your an oddball lol

A few people from work have asked about my SW tanks and wonder how I find the time to take care of them. They think you have to empty the aquarium every week and clean everything! Once I start talking fishless cycle they are lost and give me a blank look! And the cost turns them off to. When they hear of. What you need for start up they think it will cost a small fortune and it doesn't have to depending what you want to keep and how extreme you want to be. When I had my dogs/cats it cost a lot more to take care of them, food, shots, vet.

A few people from work have asked about my SW tanks and wonder how I find the time to take care of them. They think you have to empty the aquarium every week and clean everything! Once I start talking fishless cycle they are lost and give me a blank look! And the cost turns them off to. When they hear of. What you need for start up they think it will cost a small fortune and it doesn't have to depending what you want to keep and how extreme you want to be. When I had my dogs/cats it cost a lot more to take care of them, food, shots, vet.

That was one of the main things that drew me to the hobby. Cost and ease of maintenance. Fish are basically self sustaining as long as you feed them and change their water. You give them the essentials and they provide you with endless entertainment.

I also love the fact that you are always learning in this hobby. Always something to advance to. You will NEVER know everything about fish keeping or the thousands of fish. There is cold water, tropical, marine, reef, planted, species, biotope, etc. And within those you have areas to specialize. Invertebrates, breeding, cichlids. It goes on forever. :D

Also, the start up cost is high. Over $800 for me. but in the last 10 months. I've bought 3 things.

Frozen food to treat my fish, replacement foam filters and a new faucet fitting for my water changer. That's like 15-20 bucks. :lol:

Any pet you get will cost you money, if you care for them the right way.
When you first buy a puppy, depending on the breed, you spend quite a lot.
My parents have 2 amazing Australian Shepard's. They are brilliant dogs, but the damage they caused as puppies was outrageous.
Now add the the $1,200.00 they paid for them (perfect bloodlines), the puppy shots, the training, the food, the vet bills for booster shots and medicines to prevent heart worm every month, the neutering (a must for any responsible pet owner), the bills to replace the parts of the house they ate as puppies, and the numerous carpet cleanings until they were potty trained.
Those 2 dogs cost more than all of my fish in the first year alone. And they take a lot more work every single day than my fish do twice a week.
But I did buy my 55g tanks used, so that did cut down on the start up cost quite a bit. But it doesn't change the work involved.
Dogs, cats, fish or what ever, it all costs money to do it the right way.

Just saw the show. I have to admit I giggled quite a bit, I like the comedy aspect. They had a little educational stuff. Seeing the place they bought the fish from was a trip.

ryan-peddle said:
How do people keep seeing the show I thought it started on the 19th??????

I didn't know it was on, but I almost always have Animal Planet on or GNW. I think this is a rerun from the premier and the show will start on the 19th. A little something to get your interest!

did anyone see the part of the preview where the archways in the building had the fish swimming in them? the top of the wall and the rounded archways were the tank?
That looked so cool...I thought it said Friday at 9:00 though..was gonna DVR that..

Back
Top Bottom