Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #291
Aquarium Advice Freak

I cleaned and did PWC on my tanks while I watched Tanked.

Thought it was appropriate.....

60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #292
Aquarium Advice Regular

Pretty good episode. Glad they did a freshwater tank but the fish looked like roaches with the fake food in the refridgerator tank. Still nice malawi cichlids. Also noticed they mentioned they use cycled water and properly aclimating fish. Tell me those sharks weren't stressed though..

Old 04-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #293
Aquarium Advice Addict

I felt like those cichlids had no horizontal swimming room... It was 140 gallons but with all those shelves in there it looked like they were just stuck. Did anyone else notice this? They've done freshwater twice and it's always cichlids... I wonder who cleans these big tanks too?

My guess with cycling is that they use established media... Instant cycle?
Old 04-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #294
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra
I felt like those cichlids had no horizontal swimming room... It was 140 gallons but with all those shelves in there it looked like they were just stuck. Did anyone else notice this? They've done freshwater twice and it's always cichlids... I wonder who cleans these big tanks too?

My guess with cycling is that they use established media... Instant cycle?
They said it was established water. Not a cycled tank. Basically they took water from another tank that was cycled. They mentioned in there article that they had their own formulas to cycle quicker. That's believable because there is a company that's two cities over from me that has created this (chemist lab) and it cycles a tank in a week. You literally see the diatoms (SW) after 4 or 5 days and you can see a new batch of ammonia at 4.0 convert to trates in 24 hours. However, I would still like to see the tank itself cycled.

I did notice however that with the shark tank that they said they went back a few weeks later to add the sharks. No mention of cycling there. Just that they added natural sea water. Still again, the substrate wasn't mentioned if it was bagged, etc. and the beneficial bacteria wouldn't be enough to support all those fish. Sharks need PERFECT reef water conditions.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #295
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well the Guy who they got the sharks from, whom they built a tank for 3 yes prior, obviously knew what he was doing if he was able to keep them alive for that long. That or someone he hired knew what they were doing lol
Old 04-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #296
Aquarium Advice Activist

Have never watched "Tanked" myself simply I refuse to pay for dish or cable since I rarely get the TV remote LOL But I got a cute phone call in regards to it - my aunt who knows I have a collection of fish was all excited about the tank of africans and all the colors LOL she was telling telling uncle that "Hey our girl keeps some of those". Had told her in the past about having colorful fish in tanks and they weren't SW, its been a while since she's came for a visit - anyways guess I'm going to have to watch some episodes online LOL
Old 04-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #297
come get me tang police!

There's a ton of editing in all reality shows, there's no telling what exactly went down. There are two things in these shows that are very deceiving, a 'timeline' and 'storyline'. It's just something that they put into these shows to keep them interesting and entertaining.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #298
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I travel to LA every week for work, and I just realized that Exotic Reef Imports, where the guys usually get their fish, is like 5 minutes from the client site. So I'm going to try to leave early one day and check it out! They close at 5PM which sucks, so I'd have to leave real early
cerulean_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #299
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerulean_blue
So I travel to LA every week for work, and I just realized that Exotic Reef Imports, where the guys usually get their fish, is like 5 minutes from the client site. So I'm going to try to leave early one day and check it out! They close at 5PM which sucks, so I'd have to leave real early
If you go, PLEASEEEE take pictures and post them!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #300
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
A lot of wholesalers won't let you take pics inside.

Tags
fish, tan, television

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com