Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-10-2011, 03:46 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South shore Nova Scotia
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by zparticle
There is a new show starting next Wednesday I think, called tanked. All about extreme auariums.
Oh no, I don't have animal planet now I'll be driving to my grandmas and stealing her tv for an hour every week lol, I swear she was watching the other day there was a show on her tv that was showing public aquariums
__________________

__________________
dollabill420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
WendiDell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Posts: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollabill420 View Post
Oh no, I don't have animal planet now I'll be driving to my grandmas and stealing her tv for an hour every week lol, I swear she was watching the other day there was a show on her tv that was showing public aquariums
On the 19th it will be for 2 hours. They are having 2 shows back to back.
__________________

__________________
WendiDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg,MB,Canada
Posts: 76
This show sounds cool, but I really wish that there was a show that got more into the hobby? Yenno? I'm a FW girl myself and I know there's probably not going to be many FW builds due to the fact that SW is flashier. It would be nice to have a show like "cats 101" but with fish instead. I mean I've seen about a million shows on TV that go into depth about cats, dogs, and small animals, but never fish. Or if pets.tv does something on fish they go through basic equipment and cycling then throw goldfish in a ten gallon (shudders). I think it'd be cool to have an aquascape designer contest or something like that.
__________________
This hobby is an endless adventure
pictuslover23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Tarkus2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by pictuslover23 View Post
This show sounds cool, but I really wish that there was a show that got more into the hobby? Yenno? I'm a FW girl myself and I know there's probably not going to be many FW builds due to the fact that SW is flashier. It would be nice to have a show like "cats 101" but with fish instead. I mean I've seen about a million shows on TV that go into depth about cats, dogs, and small animals, but never fish. Or if pets.tv does something on fish they go through basic equipment and cycling then throw goldfish in a ten gallon (shudders). I think it'd be cool to have an aquascape designer contest or something like that.
That is because most people view fish as food or stupid dispensable animals. Not as intelligent, worthy pets. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

Also, it takes immense knowledge to do this hobby the right way. Anyone can have a cat/dog. I like to think people into fish keeping have a higher than average intelligence.
__________________
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I or are the others crazy?"
Tarkus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Unicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus2112
Anyone can have a cat/dog.
And even THAT they screw up!!!
__________________
30g SW reef (moving)
120g SW reef (55g sump)
ignore my spelling! I'm a science major, not an English major
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Tarkus2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
And even THAT they screw up!!!
I know right! haha

They say ignorance is bliss. They are right.
__________________
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I or are the others crazy?"
Tarkus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Bettacrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: some where on earth
Posts: 175
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendiDell View Post
You mean the BROOM handle "Shark Sticks"?

For those of you that were worried about the show not mentioning things like cycling or other proper fish keeping procedures, you'll be happy to hear that the second tanked show will be in part, about building a QT.
I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised to see the OT build on the explanation about the next show. Who knows, they may do a small part of the show on the proper cycling of a tank.
Yes that is why it is funny to me. She had no idea it was just a plain old broom handle.
__________________
Bettacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South shore Nova Scotia
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendiDell

On the 19th it will be for 2 hours. They are having 2 shows back to back.
Saweeet lol know where I'll be on the 19th thanks for the heads up I usually miss anything if it's not on the discovery channel lol
__________________
dollabill420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg,MB,Canada
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus2112

That is because most people view fish as food or stupid dispensable animals. Not as intelligent, worthy pets. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

Also, it takes immense knowledge to do this hobby the right way. Anyone can have a cat/dog. I like to think people into fish keeping have a higher than average intelligence.
You've got a really good point. My family can't even grasp that my fish have personalities and aren't just "living ornaments" in my tanks. As for the intelligence level being higher, that makes total sense. When you get a cat or dog you usually already have a sense of the basic care needed for that animal. With fish you "think" you know what you're going to need but when you really start to get into it and do your research there's a lot you need to learn before you even buy a tank. Between water parameters, decor, and compatibility of the fish you are looking to put in your tank, that's a lot to process and remember. If you're not that intelligent there's no way that you're going to be successful.
__________________
This hobby is an endless adventure
pictuslover23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
huma-huma's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: washington Pa
Posts: 5,257
What gets me is every single person that has seen my tank loves it..but when we start talking about the fish they are absolutely intrigued. I don't know how our hobby is so obscured
__________________

__________________
my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-286438-4.html
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fish, tan, television

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tropical Fish show in Silver Spring, MD Aqua315 Mid Atlantic & the Virginia's 0 07-06-2011 01:34 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.