New Aquatic Business Starting!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_girlfriend

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, I'm really excited and nervous. Tomorrow (actually later today) I'm going to make my first proposal to my doctor for his fish tank. I just started my own business, Kent's Aquatics. Were going to do aquarium, pond and fountain maintenance, set ups, scuba lessons, and boat services.
I'm so nervous about this. I've never run a business before, but I'm tired of working for someone else doing something I hate. I'd rather tell myself what to do doing something I like, you know?
Heres a copy of my business card, what do you guys think? I'm almost done with my web page, www.kentsaquatics.com
Anyways, I thought I'd share the excitement!! Wish me luck!! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• businesscardpic.jpg
    businesscardpic.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 354
Thats really cool, hope everything goes well for you.
quite a nice range of work you do to, bound to keep you busy
If i'm ever in the states i know who to call.....
All the best :)

If you have your divemaster's ticket, you will want to advertise that....and the fact that you are bonded and insured, too (I would go minimum $50,000 liability for the tank service and $5 million on the dive lessons). Good luck!

Thanks guys!! I think my doctors office is going to hire me! They sounded impressed and liked my price :)

Well, its my dad that does the dive lessons, hes above a dive master. I could only fit so much on the business card :) He has the insurance for that (thank god, outrageously expensive), I'm almost done getting the insurance wrapped up for the tank services.

Seems like you need a flyer then.. I didnt realize all that information was on the buisness card.
Good Luck! :mrgreen:
How did you deside on how much to charge for this service? (there isnt any businesses that does this in my area)
I had a dream of doing this at one point but thought it would be better if I worked doing it first, I cant do that considering there isnt any work in this area.. :(

Well, I asked what the guy who was coming there charged and I also read some of the excellent advice already given on wet web media. For a fish and ivert only tank I'm charging $35 an hour 1 hour minimum, right now. Once I can get a good customer base I'll probably slowly raise it up to $45. That price is all inlclusive includes food, water, salt, and any additives. It doesnt include livestock though. I went low enough to at least break even maybe make a little profit just to get my foot in the door and get a good reference.

I decided right now would be a good time to start. I have at least 6 months until I have to go back to workin for the man, so hopefully I can do this full time eventually. If that could happen in 6 months that would be great, but I'm not expecting it to.

You should call around your area (or nearest) for places that already do this service and then that could give you an idea what to charge. I'm sure there is a market for you, there is suprising little competition here even being next to San Francisco and surrounding yuppie areas. Doctors and dentists offices, funeral homes, corporate offices, wealthy residentials are where to go for customers.

I've never worked in the aquarium field before, I dont think its necessary. Just make sure you know basic SW care and equip, which isnt that much different than FW.

Im sure that the closest service that does this is at least 100 miles away from me 8O
I have done the looking in the phone book.. even the surrounding areas on the internet yellow pages.. there just isnt any businesses doing this in central KY.. I dont really know why..
general SW care and equipment is something I already know.. I try not to post in the SW area too often because I think the extra time would be a little much for me.. I post alot as it is.. :roll:

$35/hour including additives is dirt cheap, especially considering what a 250G reef would take in additives/nutrients.....you may wish to pro-rate based on gallonage.

im sure you'll do well. but i dont get the doctor hireing you? is it like.. a different kind of doctor?

well, I'm trying to get my foot in the door. I know its dirt cheap, If I can get his tank which is only a 55 gallon FO, 35 bucks will cover all the materials.
Even though that is dirt cheap, do you know he called me back after telling his staff to give me a call and asked me if I could do any better????
He wanted a quote on switching from salt to fresh and I quoted about 400 bucks, which only gives me about 175 of that and he thought that was too high. Cheap ***** . So, I'm going to step up my marketing and try to find someone who actually wants to see their fish :roll: I know paying for algae coated tanks are all the rage now I guess :p
I know he wont find it cheaper, so I'll wait for him to call back and then rip him for everything. :twisted:
I'm going to market in the richer areas where 400 bucks is like a dollar to them. I love people who spend like a grand on their tank and then 35 bucks a week is just too much to take care of it. But hes paying the other guy 25 bucks + materials for an algae coated fire trap. Go figure.

dr_girlfriend said:
well, I'm trying to get my foot in the door. I know its dirt cheap, If I can get his tank which is only a 55 gallon FO, 35 bucks will cover all the materials.

Yes, but by underselling yourself, you could be making it almost impossible to raise your prices more than 5%/annum in future....which will likely not even cover inflationary costs.

Even though that is dirt cheap, do you know he called me back after telling his staff to give me a call and asked me if I could do any better????

Many doctors I know are amongst the most... thrifty...people I know.

I know what youre saying. Thats not my "advertised" rate, just a rate I gave him because I like the OTHER doctor there who has been so great to me and my family. And I was hoping to get a reference too.

I know doctors are cheapskates, I used to work for a couple :) They also have the "I'm a doctor and I'm God" syndrome (most do anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom