Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso77 View Post
Here's a good read on Balas. Bala Shark Information and Pictures

Honestly unless you are going to upgrade to a 100 gal soon he won't make it or will kill all of your other fish.

I hate giving advice to people on tank size I feel like I am putting down what they have done if too small and I find it rude when people just tell others this unless it is asked but this is just way too small even for a short time.

I'm sure others will step in and give more advice to you as well.
Thanks but I already know, can't explain right now.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
I read and was told they get to a max size of 14 to 16". Much bigger then Redtails that only get to 6".

But you don't know how many fish I have, there are reasons I can't get a larger tank at this time. But I read balas grow to 6", he won't grow that fast before I get a larger aquarium. He will be alright, I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
I read and was told they get to a max size of 14 to 16". Much bigger then Redtails that only get to 6".
The red tails were aggressive, I did read somewhere balas grow to 6" but will research it and update you later.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

A word of advice then... It is usually a good idea the research a fish before you buy it. And, it is also a good idea to put your fish into its permanent home when you get it, so you don't have to worry about upgrading before your fish is damaged by stunting. Before you know it, months have gone by and you have done permanent damage to your fish. All of their health is in your hands, so it is important to provide for them the best you can. Would you buy a st. benard, knowing their huge size, if you were currently living in an apartment? Probably not. If I were you, I'd be doing large PWCs (50% or more) at least every week until you can upgrade, because with all those fish in a 10 gal, chances are the water quality is very poor.
I don't want you to feel as if we are being mean or rude, I am just passing down what I have learned from this hobby.

Even if you had only one of every one of the fish you mentioned, you'd still be largely overstocked. I do not believe your bala will be all right. Mainly because of how many fish you have stuffed into your tank. How would you feel if you were with ten other people in a bedroom?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra View Post
A word of advice then... It is usually a good idea the research a fish before you buy it. And, it is also a good idea to put your fish into its permanent home when you get it, so you don't have to worry about upgrading before your fish is damaged by stunting. Before you know it, months have gone by and you have done permanent damage to your fish. All of their health is in your hands, so it is important to provide for them the best you can. Would you buy a st. benard, knowing their huge size, if you were currently living in an apartment? Probably not. If I were you, I'd be doing large PWCs (50% or more) at least every week until you can upgrade, because with all those fish in a 10 gal, chances are the water quality is very poor.
I don't want you to feel as if we are being mean or rude, I am just passing down what I have learned from this hobby.

Even if you had only one of every one of the fish you mentioned, you'd still be largely overstocked. I do not believe your bala will be all right. Mainly because of how many fish you have stuffed into your tank. How would you feel if you were with ten other people in a bedroom?
I just explained earlier I was going to upgrade, I can't right now. I did research balas, read they grow to 6", my fish are fine, I know everyone has an opinion, but I also have past experience with fish tanks, never had a problem. He is not going to expand to 14" by next week, so, that gives me time to upgrade.Yes I do partial water changes, yes I have all necessary water chemicals if needed, but, my tank is so clear that I can't stop looking at it. Its ok you pass down your thoughts, but I care for them on a daily basis. If he gets that big that fast, I know what to do. Actually, I have been in a bedroom with 10 people and we ended up laughing.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Wow I'm sorry but you have wayyyyyyy too many fish for a 10 gal tank. Those sharks shouldn't start out in anything smaller then a 55 gal tank.
I can't get a bigger tank right now, will write when I can. Did read balas grow to 6", I have time to get a larger tank. In an emergency, if he grows that big, that fast, I have a tub I can use.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #17
come get me tang police!

Heya just wanted to clear up, balas get a lot bigger than 6", usually topping out around a foot or more. I've seen some in LFS display tanks that have made that size easily. The good news is it takes them a long time to get that big.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand, I am not telling you you have to upgrade immediately or your fish are going to explode. Balas can get up to 16 inches in size. I am not saying he is going to poof that large anytime soon, but he will be stunted before you realize. I am only stressing the importance of a bigger tank as soon as you are able and that it is a wiser choice to only buy fish if you can provide the necessary habitat for them at the current time. Your tank is, as most people on here will agree, largely overstocked at the moment. The nitrates in your tank are probably higher than you realize, and as I am sure you tank good care of your tank, I still think your fish are living in poor conditions.

You did not live in a bedroom with ten people, nor do you eat, sleep, and expel waste all in that area.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Here's a good read on Balas. Bala Shark Information and Pictures

Honestly unless you are going to upgrade to a 100 gal soon he won't make it or will kill all of your other fish.

I hate giving advice to people on tank size I feel like I am putting down what they have done if too small and I find it rude when people just tell others this unless it is asked but this is just way too small even for a short time.

I'm sure others will step in and give more advice to you as well.
I don't have room for a 55 or 100 gallon tank, don't know anyone around here who does except for nursing homes. I would prefer people be helpful rather than say they think I need a huge tank, yes I'd love a huge tank, would also love to own my own real shark, but I can't do that either. Wish I could. All I wanted to know from others is traits of a bala and what their experience was with them.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra View Post
I understand, I am not telling you you have to upgrade immediately or your fish are going to explode. Balas can get up to 16 inches in size. I am not saying he is going to poof that large anytime soon, but he will be stunted before you realize. I am only stressing the importance of a bigger tank as soon as you are able and that it is a wiser choice to only buy fish if you can provide the necessary habitat for them at the current time. Your tank is, as most people on here will agree, largely overstocked at the moment. The nitrates in your tank are probably higher than you realize, and as I am sure you tank good care of your tank, I still think your fish are living in poor conditions.

You did not live in a bedroom with ten people, nor do you eat, sleep, and expel waste all in that area.
Oh, it sounded like you were. Yes I know about a bigger tank, No, I didn't live with 10 people in one room, have spent time with them that way. I'm surprised you would mention eating, sleeping, and waste as if my fish are in great danger for a week or two. This bala is not going to grow that fast. I have other glass aquariums here I can transfer fish to if needed. I also can move the bala to a fish store that just re-opened, the owner is a friend, he'd take the bala. Its not going to explode in the next few weeks, my other fish won't either. They're fine.

Tags
baby, bala, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com