Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Calypso77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty56 View Post
Oh, now I see what you mean, your prices are better than here.
I am confused on your comment here.
__________________

__________________
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
hellaasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 355
They grow bigger than 6inch walmart lies bala sharks are really peaceful i kept mine with birchirs
__________________

__________________
hellaasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty56 View Post
Thanks for writing, as I said earlier, I plan on moving him to a larger tank. No, it won't be months or a year before I get one. In fact, I know where it will be placed in our house. Only reason I seem defensive is from repeating myself, now today I am lacking alot of sleep from an issue yesterday, not the bala thing, its something else. I will google this fish, right now he is admiring the heater and banana plant. No way would I let a fish suffer, maybe you perceived that somehow, even when I said I was getting a larger tank. I have some critical decisions to make right now about other issues that are a great priority.

Just read about balas, can call store to exchange him for something else, does this make everyone better?.... Good, I was hoping it would, maybe I'll look at red tail rainbow sharks, and hope I find one that is not aggressive? Thought I'd let you know, as much as I hate to return Mr Bala.
__________________
Krusty56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Calypso77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty56 View Post
Just read about balas, can call store to exchange him for something else, does this make everyone better?.... Good, I was hoping it would, maybe I'll look at red tail rainbow sharks, and hope I find one that is not aggressive? Thought I'd let you know, as much as I hate to return Mr Bala.
Hun you will feel better in the end if you can't give him what he needs and deserves. Redtail Sharksand Rainbow Sharks are different not the same fish. Please read up and do research on these fish if you are considering them. They will not do well in 10 gal tank size but the Redtail is smaller then Balas. If you get one don't have any Mollies trust me they will torment your mollies to death.
__________________
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Coel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: State college, pa
Posts: 440
Given the fact that its a 10 gallon tank when you return Mr. Bala I would wait on bringing home a new fish. As tempting as it is to add more even knowing that you will upgrade in the future it is still cruel to overstock. Wait till you get your bigger tank and then get your next fish. Also most lfs if they are out of fish will order it for you
__________________
Coel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aubrey, Tx
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty56 View Post
Oh, you do have them in jumbo size! Maybe yours are raised/fed differently, no one here that I've seen or talked to has one that big. Did it take any steroids or growth hormones? Just curious...
This made me laugh... You do realize that balas "grow". They are not born fully grown. They may vary in size, but it WILL be bigger than 6".

I really do not see why you are being so disrespectful to everyone here and rude with your smart comments. This is an fish / aquarium forum, everyone here is only looking out for the best interest of the fish. You have to think about your bala and how HE feels, not how you want him to feel or how you feel. They require a minimal of 50+ gallons when they are young, and 100+ once they are fully grown. I could see if you had like a 45 gallon, but 10 is so far from 50.

The redtail shark you are talking about also requires a larger tank, and they are known for being aggressive. Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Redtail Shark If you find something you like - Google around for it, do some research to make sure your tank is adequate enough for him, and that his tank mates will get along with him and vice versa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_shark - The Rainbow Shark also hits 7" and is also semi-aggresive, this is another fish that requires a much larger tank in order to thrive.

With a 10 gallon tank, your stocking options are going to be limited.
__________________
echoDreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoDreamz View Post
This made me laugh... You do realize that balas "grow". They are not born fully grown. They may vary in size, but it WILL be bigger than 6".

I really do not see why you are being so disrespectful to everyone here and rude with your smart comments. This is an fish / aquarium forum, everyone here is only looking out for the best interest of the fish. You have to think about your bala and how HE feels, not how you want him to feel or how you feel. They require a minimal of 50+ gallons when they are young, and 100+ once they are fully grown. I could see if you had like a 45 gallon, but 10 is so far from 50.

The redtail shark you are talking about also requires a larger tank, and they are known for being aggressive. Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Redtail Shark If you find something you like - Google around for it, do some research to make sure your tank is adequate enough for him, and that his tank mates will get along with him and vice versa. Rainbow shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - The Rainbow Shark also hits 7" and is also semi-aggresive, this is another fish that requires a much larger tank in order to thrive.

With a 10 gallon tank, your stocking options are going to be limited.
Just found your post, I don't want people to misinterpret me as rude, I said I have to repeat myself to each person that I am getting a larger tank, cannot do it this week. I am glad people care about fish, I do, too! You can applaude if you want to, I just got back from returning Great White Jr., I told the store how big they get and ofcourse they were surprised. I did read it takes about 6 mos. for them to really get large enough to be moved, which would have given me enough time to get that larger tank. The store's aquarium is smaller than mine! They had quite a few balas in with red tail sharks and I had to explain again they need to be separated, the red tails were still bullying the balas. The typical facial response from the employee is a blank look, they don't know which fish to put together. So, I am keeping what I have, all fish are no more than 2" and they are all compatible. I think one platy might be preggo. So, pass it on I have returned Mr Bala and I feel sorry for the balas in the same tank as the red tails which were larger. Wish the store would separate them. So, I won't need to write about balas, can pick a new topic when I get more sleep. Does this help that I returned the bala? Hope so. I'll write later when I am more awake.
__________________
Krusty56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso77 View Post
Bala sharks are all the same and get to the same size. It doesn't matter where you live. 14-16".
I just got back from returning him.
__________________
Krusty56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso77 View Post
Hun you will feel better in the end if you can't give him what he needs and deserves. Redtail Sharksand Rainbow Sharks are different not the same fish. Please read up and do research on these fish if you are considering them. They will not do well in 10 gal tank size but the Redtail is smaller then Balas. If you get one don't have any Mollies trust me they will torment your mollies to death.
I just got back from returning him.
__________________
Krusty56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coel View Post
Given the fact that its a 10 gallon tank when you return Mr. Bala I would wait on bringing home a new fish. As tempting as it is to add more even knowing that you will upgrade in the future it is still cruel to overstock. Wait till you get your bigger tank and then get your next fish. Also most lfs if they are out of fish will order it for you
I just got back from returning him.
__________________

__________________
Krusty56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
baby, bala, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.