Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaasian View Post
They grow bigger than 6inch walmart lies bala sharks are really peaceful i kept mine with birchirs
Yeah, I noticed that balas looked peaceful, mine was. The stores are not able to inform people about fish, which I knew, I do check the internet and sometimes get different answers. The stores don't offer any type of guide for beginners or the general public. I even ask employees how big a fish gets, or what they like in their environment, and often they say "I really don't know". So, I also was thinking of getting a book about tropical fish, I have one on sharks but am not wealthy enough to own a shark and I don't live near an ocean. Plus, the house would not be large enough to keep one here. I have shark sculptures and pictures, I've always wanted to go in a shark tank and will never have the chance.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think Petco and Petsmart are the only ones that do the dollar per gallon sale, correct me if I'm wrong. You can get a 55 gal tank for 55 dollars, 29 gal tank for 29 dollars, ect. Just the plain tank.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra View Post
I think Petco and Petsmart are the only ones that do the dollar per gallon sale, correct me if I'm wrong. You can get a 55 gal tank for 55 dollars, 29 gal tank for 29 dollars, ect. Just the plain tank.
That is a great deal. Anyone know if that deal is still on? I am headed to the states this wkend.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty56 View Post
Yeah, I noticed that balas looked peaceful, mine was. The stores are not able to inform people about fish, which I knew, I do check the internet and sometimes get different answers. The stores don't offer any type of guide for beginners or the general public. I even ask employees how big a fish gets, or what they like in their environment, and often they say "I really don't know". So, I also was thinking of getting a book about tropical fish, I have one on sharks but am not wealthy enough to own a shark and I don't live near an ocean. Plus, the house would not be large enough to keep one here. I have shark sculptures and pictures, I've always wanted to go in a shark tank and will never have the chance.
Your best bet is to use the Internet. Sites like this, WikiPedia, Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums has very good info on them. Places like PetCo, PetSmart (at least the ones around me) cannot tell a fish from a ferret. They were the ones that told me that glass catfish do best by themselves - yet everyone online says they are a schooling fish, along with countless other times of bad advice / info. I only shop there if I need chemicals etc. The local place I shop at here (a local only non-franchise / non-corporate store) they are sharp as needles when it comes to fish. The PetCo / PetSmart places here, you get "Uh......." and "Hmmmm....." and "Let me go ask a coworker." type responses.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso77 View Post
That is a great deal. Anyone know if that deal is still on? I am headed to the states this wkend.
I called my local PetCo, they stated it is still going. I know the manager well, so I am going to get a deal on a 135 gallon tank this weekend. Should be fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty56 View Post
Oh, where I live the larger the tank the more expensive, unless I check WalMart.
The Wal-Mart around me stops at 55 gallon, unless you go to the website. The place I shop at locally though carries as big as I want to pay for. Which hurts my wallet
Old 10-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah the petco sale is on select tanks 10, 20H, 20L, 29, 40B, and 55 I believe. It's a great way to get a second tank or a sump etc
Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coel View Post
Yeah the petco sale is on select tanks 10, 20H, 20L, 29, 40B, and 55 I believe. It's a great way to get a second tank or a sump etc
Do you know how long they are on for?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso77 View Post
Do you know how long they are on for?
Their site says it expires Oct 10th for my local PetCo.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra View Post
Oh, at our Pet Supplies Plus they wanted $30 for a 10 gal with a lid. I bought a 5.5 gallon tank for my RCC's and found the right screened lid at Petco for $7 and it was less than $30 but I got a smaller tank, I have it brackish with live plants, rocks, driftwood, a tree house, sand in the bottom, a heater, then I added a small clay pot for one to claim as territory. They wait lined up on the driftwood late at night because maybe they know dinner is coming? I don't think they see that well.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, I got our 55 gallon during this sale, the hoods / lights cost more the **** tank itself . But I am happy with the purchase, and the fish love the new tank. Though the tank was dirty as hell when I got it, tape all over it, dirt, dust, hand prints etc. This weekend though, a few lucky ones may get to transition over to the 135

Tags
baby, bala, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com