Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wish I was allowed a 135 girl says I need to buy her a house first. I have my 55 that I've drilled to add a sump to so it will be about 70 gallons

Old 10-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoDreamz View Post
Yeah, I got our 55 gallon during this sale, the hoods / lights cost more the **** tank itself . But I am happy with the purchase, and the fish love the new tank. Though the tank was dirty as hell when I got it, tape all over it, dirt, dust, hand prints etc. This weekend though, a few lucky ones may get to transition over to the 135
Where do you place such a large tank? Do you have a stand? I've seen used large tanks w/stand for sale in our newspaper and they are at least $400 but that's a good price if it has a hood and a stand. I put my aquariums on top of a table, we have a buffet table at the end of the dining room by a window and I normally have plants on it. When I put the RCC tank there I just moved the plants somewhere else. My fish tank is in the livingroom where I am, and it is on an end table, and this is where I type, watch tv and fish tank.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stands are easy to buy or build. For example my stand for a 55 has a sump area and could easily hold any tank up to 48"x 18". I think it cost me like 30$ to build it will be like 60 when I make it look perfect via stain and finished board
Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty56 View Post
Where do you place such a large tank? Do you have a stand? I've seen used large tanks w/stand for sale in our newspaper and they are at least $400 but that's a good price if it has a hood and a stand. I put my aquariums on top of a table, we have a buffet table at the end of the dining room by a window and I normally have plants on it. When I put the RCC tank there I just moved the plants somewhere else. My fish tank is in the livingroom where I am, and it is on an end table, and this is where I type, watch tv and fish tank.
Our 55g is in master bedroom. Yes I have a stand , a tank that large, weighing in around 600lbs, yeah, you want a stand .

We will be moving sometime next year - so we will move it to the living room or the entertainment room. As for the stand, we built our own, using cinder blocks and 2x4s. We painted the cinder blocks and the wood, it looks really good, and it is strong as hell and only cost ~$30.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coel View Post
Stands are easy to buy or build. For example my stand for a 55 has a sump area and could easily hold any tank up to 48"x 18". I think it cost me like 30$ to build it will be like 60 when I make it look perfect via stain and finished board
Oh, you take aquariums seriously if you are building this. I have mine on a buffet top and a table top, there is too much furniture here for me to have a stand, the tables work out better in our house. Sometimes the larger tank set-ups and a stand can get expensive, depending on how nice you want it to look. I have seen some set up in stores and they're beautiful but cost plenty. I guess if you are a serious tank owner, this is popular. For me though, I'm happy with my tanks.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Regular

It is not about being a "serious" owner. It is about safety for the tank, the inhabitants and you / your kids / your home .

Proper support structure for a tank is VITAL. While certain support structures will work for smaller tanks, once you get into the bigger tanks that are in the hundreds of thousands of pounds, you will want a strong sturdy support system .

There is no need in my mind to get one of those $500 crazy expensive stands, when if you have any small level of knowledge with tools, you can build your own for MUCH cheaper and get the same if not better results.

The cinder blocks / 2x4 idea I got off the Internet was DIRT cheap and is strong as hell. The idea I got it from was a 135 gallon tank I saw sitting on them, if it can hold that much weight, then I am happy .

http://virtuallyamy.files.wordpress....d-29-front.jpg

This is not my tank, but it is the same idea. I have 3 columns of 3 blocks with 2x4s on the top, and 2x4s in the middle to form a shelf. Works very very well, and is extremely sturdy.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoDreamz View Post
It is not about being a "serious" owner. It is about safety for the tank, the inhabitants and you / your kids / your home .

Proper support structure for a tank is VITAL. While certain support structures will work for smaller tanks, once you get into the bigger tanks that are in the hundreds of thousands of pounds, you will want a strong sturdy support system .

There is no need in my mind to get one of those $500 crazy expensive stands, when if you have any small level of knowledge with tools, you can build your own for MUCH cheaper and get the same if not better results.

The cinder blocks / 2x4 idea I got off the Internet was DIRT cheap and is strong as hell. The idea I got it from was a 135 gallon tank I saw sitting on them, if it can hold that much weight, then I am happy .

http://virtuallyamy.files.wordpress....d-29-front.jpg

This is not my tank, but it is the same idea. I have 3 columns of 3 blocks with 2x4s on the top, and 2x4s in the middle to form a shelf. Works very very well, and is extremely sturdy.

I am not sure if you were writing to me about the wasted stuff or not, but I see you are talking about your tank and the stand. What I meant about a serious owner is not the same to me as structure and safety of building your tank and stand. Yes, when you are building your own it is a safety issue because of the weight of the tank plus the water, that I know. If someone is willing or chooses to spend like $500 or more on a tank or a stand, that tells me that person is serious about keeping the aqarium long term, like years. They really enjoy the hobby. For me, with my tanks, I don't need a stand. Mine are fine where they are because I like looking at my fish while in the livingroom, typing.

With the blocks you described, I would think it would be sturdy, that is what you want to hold a large tank. I did not know what you meant by wasted stuff, thought you meant my tank decorations. Only other way to make it really sturdy is if you used cement and permanently placed that tank in a designated area to stay there, heck, if you did that it might remain if you had a tornado. But I think cement would not be a choice for a tank stand, all depends on what you really want.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Regular

It is not about that either. If I had 500$ to drop into a super nice shelf I would. I love doing this and enjoy every moment. I am not rich though. I would gladly take my blocks over a 500$ stand, others may think it is trashy or ghetto and are willing to pay. You do get doors, nice shelves some even have dresser drawers. I see that and I assume you have $$$. Or planned it as an expense.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just because people spend a lot of money doesn't mean they are a serious aquarist. It just means they have extra money to spend lol. The serious aquarists are the ones who are smart about how they spend. You don't have to have a stand, you just have to have something sturdy to hold and support the tank. You can do whatever you like and whatever you think looks the best in your house, it's just super important for it to be able to hold hundreds of pounds. You don't wanna 55 gallons of water flooding your living room lol.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #80
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think weather you have a good stand or not you should be serious about keeping fish. If you put up a tank and cycle it and put fish into it you should be serious about doing the hobby. It's not a small task and shouldnt be taken lightly at all. You have to keep those fish happy and healthy same as the tank and be prepared for any and all health problems that could come your way.

Tags
baby, bala, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com