New baby Bala Shark!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krusty56

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, I got my birthday present early: I bought a bala shark today and while choosing him noticed store put together red tail sharks and balas, the red tails were bullying ALL of the balas! I brought this to their attention and requested they separate them or the balas will suffer from stress, get nipped and chewed on, then die. They had no idea this was happening, knew nothing about their fish. No brochures, no books, no guides for shoppers. I'll check back with them to see if they took my advice. So, the 2.5" bala I brought home should be happy to be out of that environment! He is doing fine, does resemble a shark in that he is silver/gray with black tipped fins, the closest I'll ever get to owning a shark. I would prefer to be in a shark cage right now, but can't. I don't live near any oceans. I hope he grows to 6" like I read they do, had I known they were going to undercharge me for him, I would have liked two.

If anyone who reads this owns a bala and can give tips on their experience it would be great! I can hardly stop looking at my tank, its very natural with live plants and rock caves. Fish have been and still are a nice hobby for me plus I have second tank, brackish, with red claw crabs. I love both and watching them just fascinates me more than the shopping channels. Wish I had gotten 2 balas now, but they had more if I need another one. Hope to hear from someone who likes balas as much as I do!:fish2:

I have 1 in our 55 gallon. He is quite a character, very fun to watch him. For whatever reason he hangs with my Cory cats. People who ask about him think he is a shark. Though I thought balas grew to 14".

They are gorgeous. I would love one but my tank isn't close to being big enough.

What size tank do you have? Do you have him in with other fish?

I have 1 in our 55 gallon. He is quite a character, very fun to watch him. For whatever reason he hangs with my Cory cats. People who ask about him think he is a shark. Though I thought balas grew to 14".

Gosh, I hope they don't get that big! I read they reach 6" and will research tonight. I just got done sawing a tree limb into pieces to put out by the street and have not started reading about them yet, but can write when I find out. Thanks!

They are gorgeous. I would love one but my tank isn't close to being big enough.

What size tank do you have? Do you have him in with other fish?

I have a 10 gal at the moment, can get larger tank later. He is in with other fish the same size: mollies, platys, danios, corys, killifish, and a small albino shark that is constantly eating from walls of tank. They all get along, there is no nipping or chasing going on. They have a rock cave where they can take turns hiding. I was going to research balas tonight while I look at my tank, its no natural with the live plants and rocks I love looking at it, even while I type.:fish2:

I read and was told they get to a max size of 14 to 16". Much bigger then Redtails that only get to 6".

Wow I'm sorry but you have wayyyyyyy too many fish for a 10 gal tank. Those sharks shouldn't start out in anything smaller then a 55 gal tank.

Here's a good read on Balas. Bala Shark Information and Pictures

Honestly unless you are going to upgrade to a 100 gal soon he won't make it or will kill all of your other fish.

I hate giving advice to people on tank size I feel like I am putting down what they have done if too small and I find it rude when people just tell others this unless it is asked but this is just way too small even for a short time.

I'm sure others will step in and give more advice to you as well.

I agree with Calypso. Mollies, danios, cories, and any sort of shark species should not be kept in a 10 gal. I hate to put you down as well, but I want to at least inform you. Mollies need a minimum of 30 gals, danios (assuming they are zebra danios) need at least a 20 long, and cories need at least a 20 as well. Depending on the species of shark, I wouldn't put any in anything smaller than a 55. I wouldn't keep balas in anything smaller than a 100 gal.

I'm sorry to throw this all out at you. As someone who loves aquarium keeping, I believe the fish should be kept in the best conditions they can be kept. It sounds to me as if your 10 gal is extremely over stocked. But a great solution to this is to upgrade to a larger tank. Not only will it be better for your fish, but it'll be more fun for you!

The people here on AA are here to help you out, not discourage you from the hobby.

I agree with Calypso. Mollies, danios, cories, and any sort of shark species should not be kept in a 10 gal. I hate to put you down as well, but I want to at least inform you. Mollies need a minimum of 30 gals, danios (assuming they are zebra danios) need at least a 20 long, and cories need at least a 20 as well. Depending on the species of shark, I wouldn't put any in anything smaller than a 55. I wouldn't keep balas in anything smaller than a 100 gal.

I'm sorry to throw this all out at you. As someone who loves aquarium keeping, I believe the fish should be kept in the best conditions they can be kept. It sounds to me as if your 10 gal is extremely over stocked. But a great solution to this is to upgrade to a larger tank. Not only will it be better for your fish, but it'll be more fun for you!

The people here on AA are here to help you out, not discourage you from the hobby.

I already know to get a larger aquarium, there are reasons why I can't right now, but hope to soon. I appreciate that you care, thanks.

Honestly unless you are going to upgrade to a 100 gal soon he won't make it or will kill all of your other fish.

I hate giving advice to people on tank size I feel like I am putting down what they have done if too small and I find it rude when people just tell others this unless it is asked but this is just way too small even for a short time.

Thanks but I already know, can't explain right now.

I read and was told they get to a max size of 14 to 16". Much bigger then Redtails that only get to 6".

But you don't know how many fish I have, there are reasons I can't get a larger tank at this time. But I read balas grow to 6", he won't grow that fast before I get a larger aquarium. He will be alright, I'll keep you posted.

The red tails were aggressive, I did read somewhere balas grow to 6" but will research it and update you later.

A word of advice then... It is usually a good idea the research a fish before you buy it. And, it is also a good idea to put your fish into its permanent home when you get it, so you don't have to worry about upgrading before your fish is damaged by stunting. Before you know it, months have gone by and you have done permanent damage to your fish. All of their health is in your hands, so it is important to provide for them the best you can. Would you buy a st. benard, knowing their huge size, if you were currently living in an apartment? Probably not. If I were you, I'd be doing large PWCs (50% or more) at least every week until you can upgrade, because with all those fish in a 10 gal, chances are the water quality is very poor.
I don't want you to feel as if we are being mean or rude, I am just passing down what I have learned from this hobby.

Even if you had only one of every one of the fish you mentioned, you'd still be largely overstocked. I do not believe your bala will be all right. Mainly because of how many fish you have stuffed into your tank. How would you feel if you were with ten other people in a bedroom?

A word of advice then... It is usually a good idea the research a fish before you buy it. And, it is also a good idea to put your fish into its permanent home when you get it, so you don't have to worry about upgrading before your fish is damaged by stunting. Before you know it, months have gone by and you have done permanent damage to your fish. All of their health is in your hands, so it is important to provide for them the best you can. Would you buy a st. benard, knowing their huge size, if you were currently living in an apartment? Probably not. If I were you, I'd be doing large PWCs (50% or more) at least every week until you can upgrade, because with all those fish in a 10 gal, chances are the water quality is very poor.
I don't want you to feel as if we are being mean or rude, I am just passing down what I have learned from this hobby.

Even if you had only one of every one of the fish you mentioned, you'd still be largely overstocked. I do not believe your bala will be all right. Mainly because of how many fish you have stuffed into your tank. How would you feel if you were with ten other people in a bedroom?

I just explained earlier I was going to upgrade, I can't right now. I did research balas, read they grow to 6", my fish are fine, I know everyone has an opinion, but I also have past experience with fish tanks, never had a problem. He is not going to expand to 14" by next week, so, that gives me time to upgrade.Yes I do partial water changes, yes I have all necessary water chemicals if needed, but, my tank is so clear that I can't stop looking at it. Its ok you pass down your thoughts, but I care for them on a daily basis. If he gets that big that fast, I know what to do. Actually, I have been in a bedroom with 10 people and we ended up laughing.

Wow I'm sorry but you have wayyyyyyy too many fish for a 10 gal tank. Those sharks shouldn't start out in anything smaller then a 55 gal tank.

I can't get a bigger tank right now, will write when I can. Did read balas grow to 6", I have time to get a larger tank. In an emergency, if he grows that big, that fast, I have a tub I can use.

Heya just wanted to clear up, balas get a lot bigger than 6", usually topping out around a foot or more. I've seen some in LFS display tanks that have made that size easily. The good news is it takes them a long time to get that big.

I understand, I am not telling you you have to upgrade immediately or your fish are going to explode. Balas can get up to 16 inches in size. I am not saying he is going to poof that large anytime soon, but he will be stunted before you realize. I am only stressing the importance of a bigger tank as soon as you are able and that it is a wiser choice to only buy fish if you can provide the necessary habitat for them at the current time. Your tank is, as most people on here will agree, largely overstocked at the moment. The nitrates in your tank are probably higher than you realize, and as I am sure you tank good care of your tank, I still think your fish are living in poor conditions.

You did not live in a bedroom with ten people, nor do you eat, sleep, and expel waste all in that area.

I don't have room for a 55 or 100 gallon tank, don't know anyone around here who does except for nursing homes. I would prefer people be helpful rather than say they think I need a huge tank, yes I'd love a huge tank, would also love to own my own real shark, but I can't do that either. Wish I could. All I wanted to know from others is traits of a bala and what their experience was with them.

I understand, I am not telling you you have to upgrade immediately or your fish are going to explode. Balas can get up to 16 inches in size. I am not saying he is going to poof that large anytime soon, but he will be stunted before you realize. I am only stressing the importance of a bigger tank as soon as you are able and that it is a wiser choice to only buy fish if you can provide the necessary habitat for them at the current time. Your tank is, as most people on here will agree, largely overstocked at the moment. The nitrates in your tank are probably higher than you realize, and as I am sure you tank good care of your tank, I still think your fish are living in poor conditions.

You did not live in a bedroom with ten people, nor do you eat, sleep, and expel waste all in that area.

Oh, it sounded like you were. Yes I know about a bigger tank, No, I didn't live with 10 people in one room, have spent time with them that way. I'm surprised you would mention eating, sleeping, and waste as if my fish are in great danger for a week or two. This bala is not going to grow that fast. I have other glass aquariums here I can transfer fish to if needed. I also can move the bala to a fish store that just re-opened, the owner is a friend, he'd take the bala. Its not going to explode in the next few weeks, my other fish won't either. They're fine.

Back
Top Bottom