New baby Bala Shark!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heya just wanted to clear up, balas get a lot bigger than 6", usually topping out around a foot or more. I've seen some in LFS display tanks that have made that size easily. The good news is it takes them a long time to get that big.

Thank you for writing, I know he won't get that big that fast. I have other arrangements if he did! Glad you wrote and explained they don't grow big over night, over a week, month, or maybe even a year. I am glad I did not get a red tail, I wanted to, until I watched their behavior. The balas weren't nipping or chasing, the red tails were, otherwise I might have gotten one of those instead. The bala looks more like a shark to me, and I've been watching him all day and he is as peaceful as the rest of the fish. I'm glad I got him actually.

I understand, I am not telling you you have to upgrade immediately or your fish are going to explode. Balas can get up to 16 inches in size. I am not saying he is going to poof that large anytime soon, but he will be stunted before you realize. I am only stressing the importance of a bigger tank as soon as you are able and that it is a wiser choice to only buy fish if you can provide the necessary habitat for them at the current time. Your tank is, as most people on here will agree, largely overstocked at the moment. The nitrates in your tank are probably higher than you realize, and as I am sure you tank good care of your tank, I still think your fish are living in poor conditions.

You did not live in a bedroom with ten people, nor do you eat, sleep, and expel waste all in that area.

I decided I am going to take a break from the bala shark thing, I don't want to keep repeating myself about getting another tank or how to handle bala if he grows to 5' overnight. If he does, I'll call the zoo hotline and pay them to pick him up. They have ways to transport very large fish. I'll even keep you posted on him, I hope you don't lose sleep, I'll be here. Better get my pj's on and look at my tank before I feed the cat and go to bed.

Ours is currently ~5 - 6". He is actually one of the most calm fish we have, until the lights go out, then he is darting around, swimming in and out of the rocks, weaving through all the plants etc.

In the time we have have had him, we have not seen him chasing or "nipping" at the others in the tank. As I said, he hangs out with the 6 cory cats we have. Feeding him is a blast, he starts from the bottom rushes to the top, grabs whatever he is going for and rushes back down, all in milliseconds, if the hood is open when he does, be ready for a wave of water lol.

He also seems to know when I am around the tank because comes out near glass and follows me back and forth, does not do this with anyone else in the house. I am looking into a 135 gallon tank here locally, may pick it up and get 3 - 4 more and devote a tank to just him and his buddies, I feel bad that he was the only one, unfortunately he was the only one in the tank when I purchased him, so I only got the one. I hope he is not getting confused about what he is, since he hangs with the cory cats...

I decided I am going to take a break from the bala shark thing, I don't want to keep repeating myself about getting another tank or how to handle bala if he grows to 5' overnight. If he does, I'll call the zoo hotline and pay them to pick him up. They have ways to transport very large fish. I'll even keep you posted on him, I hope you don't lose sleep, I'll be here. Better get my pj's on and look at my tank before I feed the cat and go to bed.

I do not believe he / she is trying to be rude. He is simply stating that the fish himself would be happier in a larger tank. Even being small, he still has requirements for swimming around, territories etc. While the bala may "fit" in the 10 gallon tank, it is not his optimal placement, especially for extended periods of time like a few months. They are just letting you know that his current conditions do not fit his needs, no one is trying to be mean or rude, just giving you the information, especially since you were misinformed regarding how large they grow etc.

I don't have room for a 55 or 100 gallon tank, don't know anyone around here who does except for nursing homes. I would prefer people be helpful rather than say they think I need a huge tank, yes I'd love a huge tank, would also love to own my own real shark, but I can't do that either. Wish I could. All I wanted to know from others is traits of a bala and what their experience was with them.

I don't "think" you need a bigger tank sweetie I "know" you do if you want to keep that Bala.

Please keep us updated on how your doing with your fish.

Actually, there are a lot of people on this forum that have tanks that large. I am not saying your bala is in danger because of his growth, I am saying your tank is in danger due to the large amount of fish you have in your tank. Livebearers are huge waste outputters, especially mollies. I am only trying to help you from future issues. I would move the fish to other tanks if you can. And if I were you, I would indeed move the bala to the store.

No where did anyone say he was going to get that size overnight. I am saying again that he will need a much, much larger tank in the future. I am not rushing you to get a larger tank. If you do not ever plan on getting a tank bigger than 55 gallons, then bala sharks are not for you. I am not being rude, nor telling you what to do. I am simply saying that balas get huge, more than a foot, and a 55 gallon is simply not a suitable home for one.

Ours is currently ~5 - 6". He is actually one of the most calm fish we have, until the lights go out, then he is darting around, swimming in and out of the rocks, weaving through all the plants etc.

In the time we have have had him, we have not seen him chasing or "nipping" at the others in the tank. As I said, he hangs out with the 6 cory cats we have. Feeding him is a blast, he starts from the bottom rushes to the top, grabs whatever he is going for and rushes back down, all in milliseconds, if the hood is open when he does, be ready for a wave of water lol.

He also seems to know when I am around the tank because comes out near glass and follows me back and forth, does not do this with anyone else in the house. I am looking into a 135 gallon tank here locally, may pick it up and get 3 - 4 more and devote a tank to just him and his buddies, I feel bad that he was the only one, unfortunately he was the only one in the tank when I purchased him, so I only got the one. I hope he is not getting confused about what he is, since he hangs with the cory cats...

I do not believe he / she is trying to be rude. He is simply stating that the fish himself would be happier in a larger tank. Even being small, he still has requirements for swimming around, territories etc. While the bala may "fit" in the 10 gallon tank, it is not his optimal placement, especially for extended periods of time like a few months. They are just letting you know that his current conditions do not fit his needs, no one is trying to be mean or rude, just giving you the information, especially since you were misinformed regarding how large they grow etc.

I know any fish would be happier in a larger tank, hamsters would be happier in a larger cage, zoo animals would be happier in a more natural and larger environment, I would be happier in a larger house. I will observe the bala and see how fast he grows, I will have time to transfer him to another tank, I can't do it this week. Yes, the stores do misinform people because they have no idea sometimes what they are selling. I think the pet stores should all have literature or at least a guide with a fact sheet on pets in general. I questioned how these sharks were kept today and the employee was so surprised, it told me she had no idea of traits of these fish. Months ago I asked a pet store why they did not give their hamsters a wheel, and I was told 3 different answers from the same person, and all 3 were ridiculous. Other stores give their hamsters a wheel, I think there is no excuse to not put a wheel in a hamster cage. I can't imagine the reasoning they had, they made silly excuses. But getting back to the bala, if he grows that big I will move him, this has occurred to me. I am glad you wrote about your bala but I think I might change to another topic so I don't have to keep saying I will get a larger tank when I can. I'd rather talk about something other than my bala shark.

And I would be happier if responses were different, but people have their opinions and I've answered their posts, and I did say this fish would grow to 6" and he is not even close to that size yet. I'll make sure he is cared for properly by getting a larger tank but I can't do it right now. There are reasons for this and I don't need to explain further. Does what I wrote help you?

But you don't know how many fish I have, there are reasons I can't get a larger tank at this time. But I read balas grow to 6", he won't grow that fast before I get a larger aquarium. He will be alright, I'll keep you posted.

how many fish do you have? i hate to see corys suffer if they are over crowded

It's so important to upgrade him as soon as you can because fish will get stunted. The fish will grow to its tank size externally, but it's organs will continue growing. I do not know if you were aware of this. It is a slow, painful death for the poor fish.

You can not expect our answers to be what you want to hear. We are telling you straight up about balas and how they need large tanks. You made a thread about your bala, you will have to assume we are going to tell you what they need to properly be housed.

Actually, there are a lot of people on this forum that have tanks that large. I am not saying your bala is in danger because of his growth, I am saying your tank is in danger due to the large amount of fish you have in your tank. Livebearers are huge waste outputters, especially mollies. I am only trying to help you from future issues. I would move the fish to other tanks if you can. And if I were you, I would indeed move the bala to the store.

No where did anyone say he was going to get that size overnight. I am saying again that he will need a much, much larger tank in the future. I am not rushing you to get a larger tank. If you do not ever plan on getting a tank bigger than 55 gallons, then bala sharks are not for you. I am not being rude, nor telling you what to do. I am simply saying that balas get huge, more than a foot, and a 55 gallon is simply not a suitable home for one.

I was about to turn my computer off and go to bed when I saw your message. I understand what you are saying, glad you wrote, I will do what I can when I can, I don't know that its helping when people keep harping on me about his size changing to 14 or 16". He is not going to grow that big that fast. I can move him to the store if I have to, I don't need to do it right now, it has to wait, I have other issues I'm handling. The bala shark will be ok until he is moved. Do you see what I am trying to say? I hope again, this helps. I will take care of him, he is my favorite right now, well, they all are nice fish, he is the coolest one I have. I also have a brackish tank with RCC's and it is set up as natural as possible: live plants, driftwood, tree house, sand, pebbles, they have rock caves, I even got them a ladder. They're happy to be here, the store did not add salt in their habitat. They have a better chance living here, they also have a heater.

It's so important to upgrade him as soon as you can because fish will get stunted. The fish will grow to its tank size externally, but it's organs will continue growing. I do not know if you were aware of this. It is a slow, painful death for the poor fish.

You can not expect our answers to be what you want to hear. We are telling you straight up about balas and how they need large tanks. You made a thread about your bala, you will have to assume we are going to tell you what they need to properly be housed.

Its ok you tell me, I'm here to learn which is what I thought a forum was for. Its not that I want to hear something in particular. I know he will grow but it won't be overnight or next week. In fact, anticipating he could get that big helps me plan on getting larger tank sooner. I will make sure he is taken care of properly and I can keep you all posted. I had a pleco that grew to about 12" and he was transferred to a store with a huge tank and he was so happy. I felt better knowing he was happy. I won't let this fish get that big before I change his environment. I've got to feed the cat, let the dogs out, feed my crabs, brush my teeth, put dishes away, then go to bed. I can write and give updates. Thanks for writing, hope you know I will move him when I can.:fish2:

Also a quick note, i was at petco today and still saw a sign for a doller per gallon not sure how long it will list

The reason people keep repeating themselves is because a lot of people don't do their research, get fish such as bala sharks, then end up killing them because they failed to accept the advice given to them. I don't care if you choose to upgrade or not... you've been given pretty decent advice as far as size considerations (as in, needing a 6' tank or bigger) so it's up to you whether to listen to the advice or not. Had you accepted the advice and appeared to be somewhat more receptive to it, I think this thread would have taken a much softer tone.

To be honest, I don't think bala sharks should be sold in your typical LFS. These fish will outgrow even some of the larger home aquariums (200+) if given the right conditions, yet many people buy them because they have the word 'shark' in their name and they think that makes them cool, not realizing that these fish will grow quite massive (and downright ugly IMO).

Nothing wrong with growing fish out, but you're destined to fail in such a small tank if you don't get something 4' or bigger fairly quick. These fish like to swim a lot, and a 10g (that already sounds like it's at max capacity or more) is not going to keep one happy very long at all.

Krusty56 said:
I know any fish would be happier in a larger tank, hamsters would be happier in a larger cage, zoo animals would be happier in a more natural and larger environment, I would be happier in a larger house. I will observe the bala and see how fast he grows, I will have time to transfer him to another tank, I can't do it this week. Yes, the stores do misinform people because they have no idea sometimes what they are selling. I think the pet stores should all have literature or at least a guide with a fact sheet on pets in general. I questioned how these sharks were kept today and the employee was so surprised, it told me she had no idea of traits of these fish. Months ago I asked a pet store why they did not give their hamsters a wheel, and I was told 3 different answers from the same person, and all 3 were ridiculous. Other stores give their hamsters a wheel, I think there is no excuse to not put a wheel in a hamster cage. I can't imagine the reasoning they had, they made silly excuses. But getting back to the bala, if he grows that big I will move him, this has occurred to me. I am glad you wrote about your bala but I think I might change to another topic so I don't have to keep saying I will get a larger tank when I can. I'd rather talk about something other than my bala shark.

And I would be happier if responses were different, but people have their opinions and I've answered their posts, and I did say this fish would grow to 6" and he is not even close to that size yet. I'll make sure he is cared for properly by getting a larger tank but I can't do it right now. There are reasons for this and I don't need to explain further. Does what I wrote help you?

Yes but Zoos do their best to give the animals what they can. They give the plenty of room, foods they each like environments they live in etc. If you could not properly house him, why make him suffer while you figure out what to do. Zoos do not stick Tigers in the lizard cage and say they will move him later. When I first started here I acquired a tank that was well over stocked. I took the advice from members here and returned those larger fish and those that did not belong. I did not want too, but it was best for them. Now I have a much larger tank, and I make sure I do my best to get appropriate fish. Yes the bala will outgrow his 55, bit 55 is far better than 10. And the $1 per gallon sale is at petco. I am looking to get the 135 they have. They are not opinions. They are facts. Balas need more room. What if you cannot get a new tank for months or even a year. The fish has to suffer? Take the advice of the guys here. Don't be so defensive.

Note too this fish will grow PAST 6 inches. You are looking at nearing 16 inches. A simple 2 second google of him will tell you everything about him.

Krusty56 said:
Okay, I got my birthday present early: I bought a bala shark today and while choosing him noticed store put together red tail sharks and balas, the red tails were bullying ALL of the balas! I brought this to their attention and requested they separate them or the balas will suffer from stress, get nipped and chewed on, then die. They had no idea this was happening, knew nothing about their fish. No brochures, no books, no guides for shoppers. I'll check back with them to see if they took my advice. So, the 2.5" bala I brought home should be happy to be out of that environment! He is doing fine, does resemble a shark in that he is silver/gray with black tipped fins, the closest I'll ever get to owning a shark. I would prefer to be in a shark cage right now, but can't. I don't live near any oceans. I hope he grows to 6" like I read they do, had I known they were going to undercharge me for him, I would have liked two.

If anyone who reads this owns a bala and can give tips on their experience it would be great! I can hardly stop looking at my tank, its very natural with live plants and rock caves. Fish have been and still are a nice hobby for me plus I have second tank, brackish, with red claw crabs. I love both and watching them just fascinates me more than the shopping channels. Wish I had gotten 2 balas now, but they had more if I need another one. Hope to hear from someone who likes balas as much as I do!:fish2:

This is a bala and a 10 gallon fyi

Attachments

• image-540350828.jpg
    image-540350828.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 74
Also a quick note, i was at petco today and still saw a sign for a doller per gallon not sure how long it will list

In case you were writing to me, a dollar per gallon of what? You don't mean fish do you? The pet store closest to me had a $1 fish sale where I bought some fish that normally were $4-$6 each. Its hard to pass that up when I find the sale one day before it ends. I guess I got lucky finding it, it was not advertised and I found out they only do this twice a year. If I waited until the next day, there would have been less fish to choose from, other people had been buying alot of them, I found what was leftover. A sale like this is unheard of in other pet stores. I also learned when they run out of let's say a particular fish or product, sometimes they either never have it again or I wait for a month or more until the store has it. I know they never know what comes in on their trucks which causes some customers who can't wait a month to go to another store. But, that's the way things work. I never know what I'm going to find until I go in a store.

This is a bala and a 10 gallon fyi

Oh, you do have them in jumbo size! Maybe yours are raised/fed differently, no one here that I've seen or talked to has one that big. Did it take any steroids or growth hormones? Just curious...

Yes but Zoos do their best to give the animals what they can. They give the plenty of room, foods they each like environments they live in etc. If you could not properly house him, why make him suffer while you figure out what to do. Zoos do not stick Tigers in the lizard cage and say they will move him later. When I first started here I acquired a tank that was well over stocked. I took the advice from members here and returned those larger fish and those that did not belong. I did not want too, but it was best for them. Now I have a much larger tank, and I make sure I do my best to get appropriate fish. Yes the bala will outgrow his 55, bit 55 is far better than 10. And the $1 per gallon sale is at petco. I am looking to get the 135 they have. They are not opinions. They are facts. Balas need more room. What if you cannot get a new tank for months or even a year. The fish has to suffer? Take the advice of the guys here. Don't be so defensive.

Note too this fish will grow PAST 6 inches. You are looking at nearing 16 inches. A simple 2 second google of him will tell you everything about him.

Thanks for writing, as I said earlier, I plan on moving him to a larger tank. No, it won't be months or a year before I get one. In fact, I know where it will be placed in our house. Only reason I seem defensive is from repeating myself, now today I am lacking alot of sleep from an issue yesterday, not the bala thing, its something else. I will google this fish, right now he is admiring the heater and banana plant. No way would I let a fish suffer, maybe you perceived that somehow, even when I said I was getting a larger tank. I have some critical decisions to make right now about other issues that are a great priority.

Oh, you do have them in jumbo size! Maybe yours are raised/fed differently, no one here that I've seen or talked to has one that big. Did it take any steroids or growth hormones? Just curious...

Bala sharks are all the same and get to the same size. It doesn't matter where you live. 14-16".

Back
Top Bottom