New baby Bala Shark!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They grow bigger than 6inch walmart lies bala sharks are really peaceful i kept mine with birchirs

Thanks for writing, as I said earlier, I plan on moving him to a larger tank. No, it won't be months or a year before I get one. In fact, I know where it will be placed in our house. Only reason I seem defensive is from repeating myself, now today I am lacking alot of sleep from an issue yesterday, not the bala thing, its something else. I will google this fish, right now he is admiring the heater and banana plant. No way would I let a fish suffer, maybe you perceived that somehow, even when I said I was getting a larger tank. I have some critical decisions to make right now about other issues that are a great priority.

Just read about balas, can call store to exchange him for something else, does this make everyone better?.... Good, I was hoping it would, maybe I'll look at red tail rainbow sharks, and hope I find one that is not aggressive? Thought I'd let you know, as much as I hate to return Mr Bala.

Just read about balas, can call store to exchange him for something else, does this make everyone better?.... Good, I was hoping it would, maybe I'll look at red tail rainbow sharks, and hope I find one that is not aggressive? Thought I'd let you know, as much as I hate to return Mr Bala.

Hun you will feel better in the end if you can't give him what he needs and deserves. Redtail Sharksand Rainbow Sharks are different not the same fish. Please read up and do research on these fish if you are considering them. They will not do well in 10 gal tank size but the Redtail is smaller then Balas. If you get one don't have any Mollies trust me they will torment your mollies to death.

Given the fact that its a 10 gallon tank when you return Mr. Bala I would wait on bringing home a new fish. As tempting as it is to add more even knowing that you will upgrade in the future it is still cruel to overstock. Wait till you get your bigger tank and then get your next fish. Also most lfs if they are out of fish will order it for you

Oh, you do have them in jumbo size! Maybe yours are raised/fed differently, no one here that I've seen or talked to has one that big. Did it take any steroids or growth hormones? Just curious...

This made me laugh... You do realize that balas "grow". They are not born fully grown. They may vary in size, but it WILL be bigger than 6".

I really do not see why you are being so disrespectful to everyone here and rude with your smart comments. This is an fish / aquarium forum, everyone here is only looking out for the best interest of the fish. You have to think about your bala and how HE feels, not how you want him to feel or how you feel. They require a minimal of 50+ gallons when they are young, and 100+ once they are fully grown. I could see if you had like a 45 gallon, but 10 is so far from 50.

The redtail shark you are talking about also requires a larger tank, and they are known for being aggressive. Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Redtail Shark If you find something you like - Google around for it, do some research to make sure your tank is adequate enough for him, and that his tank mates will get along with him and vice versa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_shark - The Rainbow Shark also hits 7" and is also semi-aggresive, this is another fish that requires a much larger tank in order to thrive.

With a 10 gallon tank, your stocking options are going to be limited.

This made me laugh... You do realize that balas "grow". They are not born fully grown. They may vary in size, but it WILL be bigger than 6".

I really do not see why you are being so disrespectful to everyone here and rude with your smart comments. This is an fish / aquarium forum, everyone here is only looking out for the best interest of the fish. You have to think about your bala and how HE feels, not how you want him to feel or how you feel. They require a minimal of 50+ gallons when they are young, and 100+ once they are fully grown. I could see if you had like a 45 gallon, but 10 is so far from 50.

The redtail shark you are talking about also requires a larger tank, and they are known for being aggressive. Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Redtail Shark If you find something you like - Google around for it, do some research to make sure your tank is adequate enough for him, and that his tank mates will get along with him and vice versa. Rainbow shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - The Rainbow Shark also hits 7" and is also semi-aggresive, this is another fish that requires a much larger tank in order to thrive.

Just found your post, I don't want people to misinterpret me as rude, I said I have to repeat myself to each person that I am getting a larger tank, cannot do it this week. I am glad people care about fish, I do, too! You can applaude if you want to, I just got back from returning Great White Jr., I told the store how big they get and ofcourse they were surprised. I did read it takes about 6 mos. for them to really get large enough to be moved, which would have given me enough time to get that larger tank. The store's aquarium is smaller than mine! They had quite a few balas in with red tail sharks and I had to explain again they need to be separated, the red tails were still bullying the balas. The typical facial response from the employee is a blank look, they don't know which fish to put together. So, I am keeping what I have, all fish are no more than 2" and they are all compatible. I think one platy might be preggo. So, pass it on I have returned Mr Bala and I feel sorry for the balas in the same tank as the red tails which were larger. Wish the store would separate them. So, I won't need to write about balas, can pick a new topic when I get more sleep. Does this help that I returned the bala? Hope so. I'll write later when I am more awake.

Hun you will feel better in the end if you can't give him what he needs and deserves. Redtail Sharksand Rainbow Sharks are different not the same fish. Please read up and do research on these fish if you are considering them. They will not do well in 10 gal tank size but the Redtail is smaller then Balas. If you get one don't have any Mollies trust me they will torment your mollies to death.

I just got back from returning him.

Given the fact that its a 10 gallon tank when you return Mr. Bala I would wait on bringing home a new fish. As tempting as it is to add more even knowing that you will upgrade in the future it is still cruel to overstock. Wait till you get your bigger tank and then get your next fish. Also most lfs if they are out of fish will order it for you

I just got back from returning him.

I just returned him and didn't buy anymore fish.

The redtail shark you are talking about also requires a larger tank, and they are known for being aggressive. Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Redtail Shark If you find something you like - Google around for it, do some research to make sure your tank is adequate enough for him, and that his tank mates will get along with him and vice versa. Rainbow shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - The Rainbow Shark also hits 7" and is also semi-aggresive, this is another fish that requires a much larger tank in order to thrive.

I just wrote but don't see my post to you. I just returned the bala, had 6 mos to get a larger tank which I was going to do but decided I can't handle a fish that big if they do grow to that size. I did not buy any more fish. I noticed yesterday that I had to keep repeating I was getting a larger tank but could not do it right now or this week. I actually did not mean to be disrespectful if that's how you interpret what I said, it sounded to me like everyone wanted me to go out within the next 24 hours and buy a 100 gallon tank. I tried to explain I could not do it now or this week, that"s all. This would have been next week's project. I'm also lacking sleep which does not help. But, if you did laugh, I hope you have a sense of humor.

It just occurred to me that maybe another nice fish later on would be a goby or tetras or different colored mollies. Heck, maybe I'll end up with a snail, or better yet, one of those 4" eels like we had years ago! Only problem is, I can't find one in our stores, can't remember the name, but it did not grow. It burrowed under the rock cave and we hand fed it. My kids loved this eel. Well, maybe someday I'll find one, but I am lacking sleep and won't be going in the car anymore today.

Did you get my reply? Its not on my screen. I returned Mr Bala today, didn't get anymore fish. I need to sleep tonight and won't be going in the car anymore today. Later I might think about a goby or tetra or something like that, no balas!

I returned Mr Bala and didn't get anymore fish, too tired today.

Oh, where I live the larger the tank the more expensive, unless I check WalMart.

Ya normally that is the case but it's a sale that is on in the US as of now I guess.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Don't answer if you wish not too I am just curious is all.

I don't see my replies being posted to you yet, I returned the bala, didn't buy anymore fish today, too tired. Glad you have a sense of humor!

Ya normally that is the case but it's a sale that is on in the US as of now I guess.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Don't answer if you wish not too I am just curious is all.

I don't mind that you ask, I am not a spring chicken though. Did you think I was young? or never had a tank before? I had one years ago, a large one with yo-yo loaches, an eel, platys, mollies, tetras, oh gosh, really can't think of all the fish we had, I did not get enough sleep last night. But with tanks, I guess it all depends where you go. I have not checked WalMart and our KMart has closed, they may not have sold aquariums. I am limited to pet stores and some are better than others. Some have a $1 fish sale which is hard for me to pass up. But, no more sharks, I'll have to think about a larger tank later I guess since I've taken the bala back.

Back
Top Bottom