Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
New baby Bala Shark!

Okay, I got my birthday present early: I bought a bala shark today and while choosing him noticed store put together red tail sharks and balas, the red tails were bullying ALL of the balas! I brought this to their attention and requested they separate them or the balas will suffer from stress, get nipped and chewed on, then die. They had no idea this was happening, knew nothing about their fish. No brochures, no books, no guides for shoppers. I'll check back with them to see if they took my advice. So, the 2.5" bala I brought home should be happy to be out of that environment! He is doing fine, does resemble a shark in that he is silver/gray with black tipped fins, the closest I'll ever get to owning a shark. I would prefer to be in a shark cage right now, but can't. I don't live near any oceans. I hope he grows to 6" like I read they do, had I known they were going to undercharge me for him, I would have liked two.

If anyone who reads this owns a bala and can give tips on their experience it would be great! I can hardly stop looking at my tank, its very natural with live plants and rock caves. Fish have been and still are a nice hobby for me plus I have second tank, brackish, with red claw crabs. I love both and watching them just fascinates me more than the shopping channels. Wish I had gotten 2 balas now, but they had more if I need another one. Hope to hear from someone who likes balas as much as I do!
__________________

__________________
Krusty56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aubrey, Tx
Posts: 70
I have 1 in our 55 gallon. He is quite a character, very fun to watch him. For whatever reason he hangs with my Cory cats. People who ask about him think he is a shark. Though I thought balas grew to 14".
__________________

__________________
echoDreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Calypso77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 654
They are gorgeous. I would love one but my tank isn't close to being big enough.

What size tank do you have? Do you have him in with other fish?
__________________
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoDreamz View Post
I have 1 in our 55 gallon. He is quite a character, very fun to watch him. For whatever reason he hangs with my Cory cats. People who ask about him think he is a shark. Though I thought balas grew to 14".
Gosh, I hope they don't get that big! I read they reach 6" and will research tonight. I just got done sawing a tree limb into pieces to put out by the street and have not started reading about them yet, but can write when I find out. Thanks!
__________________
Krusty56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso77 View Post
They are gorgeous. I would love one but my tank isn't close to being big enough.

What size tank do you have? Do you have him in with other fish?
I have a 10 gal at the moment, can get larger tank later. He is in with other fish the same size: mollies, platys, danios, corys, killifish, and a small albino shark that is constantly eating from walls of tank. They all get along, there is no nipping or chasing going on. They have a rock cave where they can take turns hiding. I was going to research balas tonight while I look at my tank, its no natural with the live plants and rocks I love looking at it, even while I type.
__________________
Krusty56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Calypso77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 654
I read and was told they get to a max size of 14 to 16". Much bigger then Redtails that only get to 6".
__________________
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Calypso77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 654
Wow I'm sorry but you have wayyyyyyy too many fish for a 10 gal tank. Those sharks shouldn't start out in anything smaller then a 55 gal tank.
__________________
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Calypso77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 654
Here's a good read on Balas. Bala Shark Information and Pictures

Honestly unless you are going to upgrade to a 100 gal soon he won't make it or will kill all of your other fish.

I hate giving advice to people on tank size I feel like I am putting down what they have done if too small and I find it rude when people just tell others this unless it is asked but this is just way too small even for a short time.

I'm sure others will step in and give more advice to you as well.
__________________
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
okapizebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,033
I agree with Calypso. Mollies, danios, cories, and any sort of shark species should not be kept in a 10 gal. I hate to put you down as well, but I want to at least inform you. Mollies need a minimum of 30 gals, danios (assuming they are zebra danios) need at least a 20 long, and cories need at least a 20 as well. Depending on the species of shark, I wouldn't put any in anything smaller than a 55. I wouldn't keep balas in anything smaller than a 100 gal.

I'm sorry to throw this all out at you. As someone who loves aquarium keeping, I believe the fish should be kept in the best conditions they can be kept. It sounds to me as if your 10 gal is extremely over stocked. But a great solution to this is to upgrade to a larger tank. Not only will it be better for your fish, but it'll be more fun for you!

The people here on AA are here to help you out, not discourage you from the hobby.
__________________
okapizebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra View Post
I agree with Calypso. Mollies, danios, cories, and any sort of shark species should not be kept in a 10 gal. I hate to put you down as well, but I want to at least inform you. Mollies need a minimum of 30 gals, danios (assuming they are zebra danios) need at least a 20 long, and cories need at least a 20 as well. Depending on the species of shark, I wouldn't put any in anything smaller than a 55. I wouldn't keep balas in anything smaller than a 100 gal.

I'm sorry to throw this all out at you. As someone who loves aquarium keeping, I believe the fish should be kept in the best conditions they can be kept. It sounds to me as if your 10 gal is extremely over stocked. But a great solution to this is to upgrade to a larger tank. Not only will it be better for your fish, but it'll be more fun for you!

The people here on AA are here to help you out, not discourage you from the hobby.
I already know to get a larger aquarium, there are reasons why I can't right now, but hope to soon. I appreciate that you care, thanks.
__________________

__________________
Krusty56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
baby, bala, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.