New but used tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearly

Aquarium Advice Freak
Probably a stupid question, but here it is! Got 5 gal for my "betta trio" off craigslist. It's been used. Getting ready to set it up but what's best way to sanitize/clean it? Don't know what the guy had in it bfr he sold it, now with all crazy "advice" I've been getting from chain stores staff I'm growing suspicious and borderline paranoid. Don't want to move my trio to bigger home only to find them sick or dead the next day, advise anyone? Please?

Probably a stupid question, but here it is! Got 5 gal for my "betta trio" off craigslist. It's been used. Getting ready to set it up but what's best way to sanitize/clean it? Don't know what the guy had in it bfr he sold it, now with all crazy "advice" I've been getting from chain stores staff I'm growing suspicious and borderline paranoid. Don't want to move my trio to bigger home only to find them sick or dead the next day, advise anyone? Please?
You can use bleach. A mix of 10/3 water/bleach. Leave it overnight and with little clean, it should be like new. Rinse it really really well and let it air dry or use paper towels. DO NOT use hot water, only ever, warm or cold water. You can then use a white vinegar/water mix to remove any calcium build up. If you have any heavy calcium build up, soak a new cloth in neat vinegar and leave it sitting on the build up for a few hours or overnight. It'll then easily scrap off with a glass scrapper. Don't use the blade if the tanks Acyclic!!!
I always clean small or medium in my bath, using my shower....

Just wanted to let you know that finally got to that used 5gal tank last night. It was pretty clean but still gave it good scrub and used bleach sol in proportions suggested by you. This am will rinse it out goo then will start working on rinsing out the sand I bought for it, the rocks, plants and ornaments have been soaking in my current tank water overnight (did pwc last nite too) seemed like it may be a good idea, shouldn't hurt anything. Only thing now with the new tank is that filter tubes and box fell apart during cleaning before I had a chance to take a good look at it how it's supposed to look assembled. .... guess can always buy a new one if can't figure this pne out. I'll be moving my betta trio to this tank once the water in it is good. Got the API master kit the other day. Man, it's expensive!!!! 35$!!!! But I wouldn't be comfortable moving those fish there without comfort of always being able to know if their environment is not toxic to them. Once everything is going I'll try to take and post some pictures. Happy Easter!

Just wanted to let you know that finally got to that used 5gal tank last night. It was pretty clean but still gave it good scrub and used bleach sol in proportions suggested by you. This am will rinse it out goo then will start working on rinsing out the sand I bought for it, the rocks, plants and ornaments have been soaking in my current tank water overnight (did pwc last nite too) seemed like it may be a good idea, shouldn't hurt anything. Only thing now with the new tank is that filter tubes and box fell apart during cleaning before I had a chance to take a good look at it how it's supposed to look assembled. .... guess can always buy a new one if can't figure this pne out. I'll be moving my betta trio to this tank once the water in it is good. Got the API master kit the other day. Man, it's expensive!!!! 35$!!!! But I wouldn't be comfortable moving those fish there without comfort of always being able to know if their environment is not toxic to them. Once everything is going I'll try to take and post some pictures. Happy Easter!
Great stuff, I know it's seems like a lot of work and a right pain but it'll all be worth it in the end. Yeah those test kits are expensive(I pay $55) but they are essential and will last a long long time. The filters are pretty straight forward, just don't force parts together. It should just connect together easily enough. They can be a bit of a tight squeeze, especially if they haven't been used or are out of water for a while. A dab of Vaseline does the trick.If your not sure, you can google image it or try and get the instructions online. Let us know the filter name and model and if you want, i'll help you out with different media options. Look forward to seeing some picture soon. Take some pics as you progress. If you have a NEW or slightly used(just put it into some boiling hot water) toothbrush laying around, I find them great for getting into the little nukes and cranny's. Happy cleaning and I look forward to seeing the end result. Happy Easter to you too....

Back
Top Bottom